Ken Dorsey presser 9/12

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I hope we can hang on to Dorsey for a few years, by the end of next year he will be a hot HC name.

An all world, alien, unnaturally gifted quarterback will do that for you. Not to minimize Dorsey’s early achievements but Allen might just make me look good (as a totally useless and unqualified NFL coordinator). Allen is simply that gifted in his game right now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

"Ken Dorsey on Josh Allen's running vs. Rams: We didn't call too many runs this past game, it was just Josh making plays."

This is interesting....they need to get through to Josh I guess.   I wonder who calls that run read option play they used a few times vs the Rams and Daboll loved.  From my perspective that play has not been very successful and mostly results in 1-3 yards gained.

Heh.  I thought Dorsey's reactions when those questions were asked were very interesting.

For most of the interview, Dorsey looked straight ahead, sometimes smilled, sometimes quirked an eyebrow up, when asked about Isaiah McKenzie he cracked a broad smile.  He seemed straighforward and relaxed, if sometimes uninformative (as one would expect - I think coaches must have to master a playbook called "how to use words while giving away nothing".

When Jay Skurski started asking about Josh running late in the 4th Q with the game in hand (about 14:50 in), Dorsey blinked and took a deep breath or two while the question was being asked.  He looked serious.  He led off his answer with "That's a good question" and his eyes shifted left and right

"That's a good question" is a standard response when you're asked a tough question and you're trying to craft an answer.  "I think it's just making sure we're balanced in terms of what we're calling and how we're doing it.  There are certain things whether it's a movement play or a scramble play where Josh is going to be Josh, he's going to use his legs and do some things.  He's got to do a good job of protecting himself at the end of the plays and getting down and know the times when you gotta go all out and get the first or get in the end zone, and know the times when you've got to get down and protect yourself.  And I think we've got to do a good job talking with him about that and he's done a good job taking ownership of that.  ..... there's things we've talked to him about with regard to those things ....honestly we didn't call too many of them (designed QB runs) this past game, it was more just Josh making plays and being a guy who provides that extra dimension"

Then there was a following question about the RB fumbles

What I think (all WAG on my part):

1) while they may not have had too many designed QB runs, I think they did have RPOs in there, especially at the end of the game where Josh was the run option.  McDermott alluded to that.  I think Dorsey doesn't want to admit to opposing DCs those plays gonna come out when we're in the 4th Q with a 3 TD lead - but I think Dorsey got taken to the woodshed by McDermott about "situational play calling" in the 4Q to call plays where Josh has more options that don't involve running Josh.

2) I think that just as Morse alluded to Dorsey being "possessed by the Holy Spirit" and Josh Allen said "he gets fiery, man" during games, Dorsey is well aware that at times during games, Josh Allen gets his adrenaline up and gets into a competitive space where he glories in putting it all out there, every play.  Dorsey has two problems with this:

a) it's hard for a guy who is ultra-competitive himself to have great credibility while telling another guy to rein it in and not be ultra-competitive

b) it's delicate - Dorsey doesn't want to blunt the fierce competitive edge that makes Josh special, in the process of reining it in.

3) I think there's some of what used to be called "acting as if" in CBT (the phrase has been co-opted), meaning "living in the state of reality you desire".  Dorsey is living in his desired state of reality where Cook and Moss fix their fumbles, McKenzie corrects his double-clutch, and Allen Gets the ***** Down when he runs.  Good luck Ken - I hope the "fake it til you make it" works out here on all 4 counts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I know it's ridiculous for me to think such things so early, but...

Friday morning, I was driving to work thinking "I hope we get Dorsey for more than one season before someone hires him away to be head coach".

That may seem like a crazy idea, but hiring the en vogue young offensive mind from a contender seems to be more and more common in recent hiring cycles. If Dorsey keeps calling great games and the Bills offense balls out this year, it's not crazy to think Dorsey could get some interviews.

I know, I know...cart way before the horse on this one. 

I always do this.  Put a list together of teams you're pretty sure will be hiring a new HC in January. 

Near certainty: 

Cowboys (Sean Payton is ready)

Seahawks

It's very possible:

Arizona 

Patriots 

Outside Chance:

Colts

Lions

I think that's going to be it.  So at most 5 or 6 teams.  And its definitely debatable here maybe only 1 or 2.  

There was sooooo much turnover the last 2 years.  I think Dorsey will be here beyond this season.

Any other teams?

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

An all world, alien, unnaturally gifted quarterback will do that for you. Not to minimize Dorsey’s early achievements but Allen might just make me look good (as a totally useless and unqualified NFL coordinator). Allen is simply that gifted in his game right now.

While I agree on Alien Allen and his giftedness and acknowledge you are not minimizing Dorsey's early achievements, TD #1 to Davis was play-called wide open and Allen's 2.2-second(-or-thereabouts) release time has to be attributed at least in part to plays called that got guys open that quickly. Plus, the run game looked vastly improved, although that could be more a product of Kromer's return.

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I always do this.  Put a list together of teams you're pretty sure will be hiring a new HC in January. 

Near certainty: 

Cowboys (Sean Payton is ready)

Seahawks

It's very possible:

Arizona 

Patriots 

Outside Chance:

Colts

Lions

I think that's going to be it.  So at most 5 or 6 teams.  And its definitely debatable here maybe only 1 or 2.  

There was sooooo much turnover the last 2 years.  I think Dorsey will be here beyond this season.

Any other teams?

The Jets were 4-13 last year. If they were to have a similar record this year, in the fickle market that is New York City, I can't completely rule out the possibility of Woody Johnson wanting to move on from Robert Saleh, particularly if the right shiny, attractive candidate came along. I think it's unlikely, but I feel it could at least be in the "outside chance" column.

That's about the only one I could think to add. 

Anyway, the Bills are likely going to be a good to very good team for the next decade, so we probably should get used to losing coaches and executives to other teams. 

Yea probably could include the Jets - and Carolina.

My thinking is if Wilson is better that will save his job.  The expectations are low exceeding them won't be difficult.  

Wilson will have to look bad for them to move on.   

I think he will be improved and the Jets aren't losing any coaches so continuity will be there - they've hitched their wagon to Wilson and when you weigh it all I think they will get one more year.

Edited by Big Blitz

3 hours ago, eball said:

So happy to hear Dorse's comments about "designed" Josh runs.  I'm getting a wee bit tired of the moaning and groaning from fans and media alike that "this isn't sustainable" for Josh Allen.  Josh rarely takes "big" hits from opponents...more often than not he's the one dishing them out.  He never stands in the pocket and gets clobbered, which is far more likely to cause injury than when he is the aggressor with the football.

If Josh gets hurt, so be it, but for crissakes can we stop acting like a serious injury is "inevitable?"

Last night the Cowboys lost Dak Prescott for 6 - 10 weeks because he hit his hand on a helmet while "safely" in the pocket.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

When Jay Skurski started asking about Josh running late in the 4th Q with the game in hand (about 14:50 in), Dorsey blinked and took a deep breath or two while the question was being asked.  He looked serious.  He led off his answer with "That's a good question" and his eyes shifted left and right

Allen ran one time in the 4th when the game was in hand. It was a 13 yard scramble on a pass play when the linebacker pushed Morse into Allen. Allen found a wide open lane, ran for a first down, and started to go down just as a defender tackled him from behind. Not even a hard hit. That was it. It didn’t appear to me that Dorsey was that concerned about it.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

What I think (all WAG on my part):

1) while they may not have had too many designed QB runs, I think they did have RPOs in there, especially at the end of the game where Josh was the run option.  McDermott alluded to that.  I think Dorsey doesn't want to admit to opposing DCs those plays gonna come out when we're in the 4th Q with a 3 TD lead - but I think Dorsey got taken to the woodshed by McDermott about "situational play calling" in the 4Q to call plays where Josh has more options that don't involve running Josh.

There literally were no RPOs at the end of the game. Allen ran 3 total times the entire 4th quarter: one time in the drive that put them up by 2TDS, once in the drive that put them up by 3 TDS, and that was with over 10 minutes left in the game. After that, there was only the run I described above.

I watched McDermott’s press conference when they asked him about Allen’s running and he didn’t seem any more concerned than Dorsey.

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

Like Mahomes, like Brady and Manning, Drew Brees, etc. it doesn't matter who the coordinator is. The QB makes or breaks them. If someone wants to hire him we'll find someone else who will perform the same.

I guess that is why Brady was hired to be the QB coach,  The succession might already be in place.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

So happy to hear Dorse's comments about "designed" Josh runs.  I'm getting a wee bit tired of the moaning and groaning from fans and media alike that "this isn't sustainable" for Josh Allen.  Josh rarely takes "big" hits from opponents...more often than not he's the one dishing them out.  He never stands in the pocket and gets clobbered, which is far more likely to cause injury than when he is the aggressor with the football.

If Josh gets hurt, so be it, but for crissakes can we stop acting like a serious injury is "inevitable?"

I don't worry at all about a serious injury with Allen running.

I agree with the notion that such an injury is more likely to be suffered in the pocket than out of it.

My concern is cumulative effect of the relatively incredible amount of hits he has taken and the potential for a drastically shortened prime as a result.

And on Thursday........every hit was a big hit.........he didn't make it out of bounds or make it in the clear enough to slide on any of them.

Some of them started out like plays where he has waltzed into the clear or into the end zone and not gone down hard in the past.........but in this game he wasn't getting away.

Hopefully that's just a tribute to the Rams defensive speed.

When QB's lose it.........it's not always easy to quantify why..........but when it happens prematurely it's often the guy who has taken a lot of hits.........and Allen is piling up multiple years worth of hits in each season.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with the notion that such an injury is more likely to be suffered in the pocket than out of it.

My concern is cumulative effect of the relatively incredible amount of hits he has taken and the potential for a drastically shortened prime as a result.

And on Thursday........every hit was a big hit.........he didn't make it out of bounds or make it in the clear enough to slide on any of them.

Some of them started out like plays where he has waltzed into the clear or into the end zone and not gone down hard in the past.........but in this game he wasn't getting away.

When QB's lose it.........it's not always easy to quantify why..........but when it happens prematurely it's often the guy who has taken a lot of hits.........and Allen is piling up multiple years worth of hits in each season.

I’m confident that as Allen continues to mature he will become even better at not needing to run as much, but I don’t want him to not play to his potential for fear of me getting one less year of him as our QB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the Rams’ defense was better and more physical in that game than many are giving them credit for. Many of the yards gained were tough yards, and that goes for most of Allen’s runs. I don’t believe he is as reckless as he was the first couple years, and he has been much better at not taking the big hit. However, he did take more punishment in runs over the first 3 quarters than he typically does - and I think it was more about the speed and physical nature of the Rams defense than recklessness on the part of Allen. Although, there were a number times he could have minimized the contact.

Still, I agree about the cumulative effect of a physical running style. I think Josh is going to be who he is; but, hopefully, he will continue working on being smarter about when and how he runs.

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

People forget Dorsey was the QB on what is widely considered to be the greatest college football team of all time.  He's been to the top of the mountain.

This is very true. (As a Miami Hurricane fan, how could I disagree).

Dorsey also was one of the most successful college QBs of all time, and he did it mostly with his brain and the talent that was on that team.

I can only imagine what Dorsey's career would have been like if he also had Josh's physical skills. I suspect that Dorsey must enjoy being a bit of the puppeteer and "playing" vicariously through Josh.

I also am not surprised that Dorsey was Josh's first choice and that he seems to be a perfect fit as OC.

32 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think the Rams’ defense was better and more physical in that game than many are giving them credit for. Many of the yards gained were tough yards, and that goes for most of Allen’s runs. I don’t believe he is as reckless as he was the first couple years, and he has been much better at not taking the big hit. However, he did take more punishment in runs over the first 3 quarters than he typically does - and I think it was more about the speed and physical nature of the Rams defense than recklessness on the part of Allen. Although, there were a number times he could have minimized the contact.

Still, I agree about the cumulative effect of a physical running style. I think Josh is going to be who he is; but, hopefully, he will continue working on being smarter about when and how he runs.

I agree..Their safeties are big dudes.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was out of football a few years ago and nobody wanted to hire him

He lucked into working with the best quarterback in the world

There were reports in the offseason that a bunch of teams were interested in Dorsey and the Pegulas had to pay him a lot of money to keep him here. I think he has very quickly become a hot name in NFL front offices.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, eball said:

I’m confident that as Allen continues to mature he will become even better at not needing to run as much, but I don’t want him to not play to his potential for fear of me getting one less year of him as our QB.

One less year? :lol:

There is no precedent for a QB being sacked and rushing the ball combined this often this early and still being a franchise quality QB even just 9 years into his career.

Allen is in year 5........year 9 would be about when the new stadium would open........that isn't far away.

Brady-like longevity isn't realistic but with a physically gifted and intelligent passer like Allen the objective should be to get DOUBLE that 9 year figure and little or no less.......like still being a worthy league MVP in his late 30's like Rodgers or Brees.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.