Ken Dorsey presser 9/12

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Ken Dorsey presser 9/12

"Ken Dorsey on Josh Allen's running vs. Rams: We didn't call too many runs this past game, it was just Josh making plays."

This is interesting....they need to get through to Josh I guess.   I wonder who calls that run read option play they used a few times vs the Rams and Daboll loved.  From my perspective that play has not been very successful and mostly results in 1-3 yards gained.

• Dislike 2

46 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I hope we can hang on to Dorsey for a few years, by the end of next year he will be a hot HC name.

I could be wrong, but i think he will be a hot HC candidate by the end of THIS season.  Lesser names than Dorsey, with lesser resumes have gotten HC jobs.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

"Ken Dorsey on Josh Allen's running vs. Rams: We didn't call too many runs this past game, it was just Josh making plays."

This is interesting....they need to get through to Josh I guess.   I wonder who calls that run read option play they used a few times vs the Rams and Daboll loved.  From my perspective that play has not been very successful and mostly results in 1-3 yards gained.

What do they need to get through? Josh is going to be Josh. Just because player A got hurt playing a certain style doesn't mean player B will playing the same style.

Also what should be mentioned is Cam used to get absolutely hammered while in the pocket even after the plays to the point it was joked that Newton never got roughing the passer calls even when he got lit up late. Allen for the most part does not and doesn't take sacks either.

Newton's career sack percentage is around 7%... Allen's is 5.58% and should continue dropping as he has gone from 8 and 7.9% his first 2 years to 4.3 and 3.9% his last two years. He is among the least stacked QBs in the NFL over the past few seasons and 7th least in terms of active QBs career wise. Those hits are much more likely to injure him than him running. 

IMHO, Allen could do a better job not taking hits at times but you also don't want to make him start thinking out there and trying to coach what makes Josh Josh out of him...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

What do they need to get through? Josh is going to be Josh. Just because player A got hurt playing a certain style doesn't mean player B will playing the same style.

Also what should be mentioned is Cam used to get absolutely hammered while in the pocket even after the plays to the point it was joked that Newton never got roughing the passer calls even when he got lit up late. Allen for the most part does not and doesn't take sacks either.

Newton's career sack percentage is around 7%... Allen's is 5.58% and should continue dropping as he has gone from 8 and 7.9% his first 2 years to 4.3 and 3.9% his last two years. He is among the least stacked QBs in the NFL over the past few seasons and 7th least in terms of active QBs career wise. Those hits are much more likely to injure him than him running. 

IMHO, Allen could do a better job not taking hits at times but you also don't want to make him start thinking out there and trying to coach what makes Josh Josh out of him...

This is pretty much where I am. Good to hear Dorsey isn’t calling many designed runs (at least through week 1 anyway). Scrambling will always be part of Josh’s game. It’s one of the things that makes him so great. You shouldn’t try to coach that out of him. It’s not the running itself that gets me, it’s the hits. As such, they should continue to emphasize sliding and getting out of bounds when he can to avoid hits (as I’m sure they are already doing). At the end of the day, there’s only so much the coaches can do. That’s Josh. And he’s going to do what he thinks is best in the moment to get the win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I could be wrong, but i think he will be a hot HC candidate by the end of THIS season.  Lesser names than Dorsey, with lesser resumes have gotten HC jobs.  

3 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I hope we can hang on to Dorsey for a few years, by the end of next year he will be a hot HC name.

Hot takes! So funny how quickly a guy can go from, "We need to see if Dorsey can handle it" to "He gonna be HC soon" 

Fandom views are funny.

• Like (+1) 3

So happy to hear Dorse's comments about "designed" Josh runs.  I'm getting a wee bit tired of the moaning and groaning from fans and media alike that "this isn't sustainable" for Josh Allen.  Josh rarely takes "big" hits from opponents...more often than not he's the one dishing them out.  He never stands in the pocket and gets clobbered, which is far more likely to cause injury than when he is the aggressor with the football.

If Josh gets hurt, so be it, but for crissakes can we stop acting like a serious injury is "inevitable?"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like Mahomes, like Brady and Manning, Drew Brees, etc. it doesn't matter who the coordinator is. The QB makes or breaks them. If someone wants to hire him we'll find someone else who will perform the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

So happy to hear Dorse's comments about "designed" Josh runs.  I'm getting a wee bit tired of the moaning and groaning from fans and media alike that "this isn't sustainable" for Josh Allen.  Josh rarely takes "big" hits from opponents...more often than not he's the one dishing them out.  He never stands in the pocket and gets clobbered, which is far more likely to cause injury than when he is the aggressor with the football.

If Josh gets hurt, so be it, but for crissakes can we stop acting like a serious injury is "inevitable?"

I get this....but ideally we would limit him at least somewhat during the regular season and then let him run wild in playoffs to catch opponent off guard

• Thank you (+1) 1

He was out of football a few years ago and nobody wanted to hire him

He lucked into working with the best quarterback in the world

Frasier is gonna get a head-coaching opportunity well before him

Josh Allen is going to make a lot of football coaches rich; some of them will deserve it and some of them won’t.

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

The way the NFL works likely you are correct.  But is it really because of Dorsey or because he has Allen back there.

22 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Damn. He might be hired away as head coach somewhere else mid-season. 

I know it's ridiculous for me to think such things so early, but...

Friday morning, I was driving to work thinking "I hope we get Dorsey for more than one season before someone hires him away to be head coach".

That may seem like a crazy idea, but hiring the en vogue young offensive mind from a contender seems to be more and more common in recent hiring cycles. If Dorsey keeps calling great games and the Bills offense balls out this year, it's not crazy to think Dorsey could get some interviews.

I know, I know...cart way before the horse on this one. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.