Report: Steelers fear that DPOY T.J. Watt tore his pec in win over Bengals

Peace Frog

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this rule drives me nuts. I think, and stress think, it was in the Giants game and a RB was being held up, and Titans player wound up and with a full right uppercut tried to jar the ball lose. He got all arm, no ball...and the ref even came in and you could see he was warning him. To me, a punch is a punch...it is either legal or its not. Like you say, getting to take a free swipe at a guys junk with the defense of "just trying to knock the ball lose" is BS. Watt misses a lot on his "Peanut Punches" btw

Pretty sure it was Dupree on Saquan.  Saquan didn't flinch either.  Just stared at him.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this rule drives me nuts. I think, and stress think, it was in the Giants game and a RB was being held up, and Titans player wound up and with a full right uppercut tried to jar the ball lose. He got all arm, no ball...and the ref even came in and you could see he was warning him. To me, a punch is a punch...it is either legal or its not. Like you say, getting to take a free swipe at a guys junk with the defense of "just trying to knock the ball lose" is BS. Watt misses a lot on his "Peanut Punches" btw

Yeah if you miss........it should be flagged.   I remember Bryan Cox years ago getting a penalty for such a punch.   It stood out because players didn't throw punches like that.   Tillman was great at the subtle punch........prior to that most such fumbles were caused by pulling on the arm and stripping the ball with an open hand to knock it loose because punching was clearly illegal.    But it's gotten to the point where some players just think they can flail wildly and the league hasn't addressed it.   Watt just hacks away on ball carriers because he can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Oh, these guys are clean, they just eat a lot of protein and lift,  as I have been told several times by members here, 😂🤣😆,

The Watt bros should be using that TB12 miracle beverage. It not only miraculously heals whatever ails you but it halts the aging process and keeps you young forever. Julio Jones has said he was using it and he looked young again.

Has the NFL ever tested that stuff ? ... Coming from a guy who has some "shady" dealings to help him win in his past, random testing of that could be interesting.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if you miss........it should be flagged.   I remember Bryan Cox years ago getting a penalty for such a punch.   It stood out because players didn't throw punches like that.   Tillman was great at the subtle punch........prior to that most such fumbles were caused by pulling on the arm and stripping the ball with an open hand to knock it loose because punching was clearly illegal.    But it's gotten to the point where some players just think they can flail wildly and the league hasn't addressed it.   Watt just hacks away on ball carriers because he can.

agree totally. I was telling my buddy this same thing. Go for the punch, if you want. You miss the ball at all, and it is a 15-yard unsportsmanlike. That’s the risk you take. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Watt bros should be using that TB12 miracle beverage. It not only miraculously heals whatever ails you but it halts the aging process and keeps you young forever. Julio Jones has said he was using it and he looked young again.

Has the NFL ever tested that stuff ? ... Coming from a guy who has some "shady" dealings to help him win in his past, random testing of that could be interesting.

Does make you order about last minute vacations being booked in the middle of training camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ball has to cross the plane

I disagree.

What happens when the receiver is one one side of the end zone, QB is one the same side of the field and throws it to his outside so only the receiver can catch it. If the receiver  has his feet in the end zone and the ball is thrown outside and the  ball never crosses the end zone that is a TD. Those type of throws happen al the time.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I disagree.

What happens when the receiver is one one side of the end zone, QB is one the same side of the field and throws it to his outside so only the receiver can catch it. If the receiver  has his feet in the end zone and the ball is thrown outside and the  ball never crosses the end zone that is a TD. Those type of throws happen al the time.

Ball has to cross.

Players catching the ball in the end zone must get two feet down in bounds in order to score a touchdown. The key stipulations are that the player also possesses the ball and the ball crosses the goal line. If a player has his feet in the end zone but receives the ball short of the goal line, this is not a touchdown by NFL rule. A catch made in the end zone requires two feet down and control of the ball on or past the goal line to be a touchdown.

Just google this phrase

does the ball have  to cross the end zone line or just feet on catch to be a TD

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If your feet are in the endzone and you have control of the ball, it is a TD, 100%.  Where the ball is totally irrelevant.  How many plays are TDs as receivers ball outside of the end zone, hundreds each year.

I do not think this is true for the goal line.  We have seen guys make catches and get their feet down in the end zone but we’re falling back into the field of play and if the ball did not cross the plan - they were ruled short.

If we are looking at the sides or back lines of the end zone this is correct - the ball can be well off the field of play if you get both feet down, but the ball must be beyond the front of the goal line.

Now for chase that was irrelevant as the ball was above his foot and his foot was in, but if it was in his hand outside the goal line - then no TD spotted just short.

Unless something has changed since last year.

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I disagree.

The ball is still deeper in the end zone past the goal line.  On a reception the ball must be deeper than the goal line and the player must make the catch and establish possession - exactly the same as anyplace on the field - either sideline and the goal line are the same.

It is also why when a catch is made in the middle of the field the ball is marked where the ball was caught not he feet.  The balls forward progress is what marks the line - Same as the end zone - if the ball does not reach the goal line as a player makes the catch - even if the majority of their body is in the end zone - it is spotted short.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I disagree.

The plane of the goal line extends infinitely in all directions (hence why hitting the pylon counts as a TD even though it is technically out of bounds).

In the case of your example, the ball broke the plane, and the WR possessed it while still in bounds. Touchdown.

(If Im understanding your scenario correctly)

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I disagree.

That is not a TD per nfl rules 

ball must cross goal line 

You see receivers catch the ball with their feet in the end zone … But hands are in front of the goal line and it’s not considered crossing the plane

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The plain of the goal line extends infinitely in all directions

This is the crux of that particular debate.

Although they have changed it in the past couple years. It used to be that a ball carrier could break that infinite plane outside the pylon, but now it has to be at the pylon or inside.

On a pass play it's always considered to be within the pylons because it's almost impossible for a QB to throw a completed pass where the ball doesn't go over part the pylon. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

This is the crux of that particular debate.

Although they have changed it in the past couple years. It used to be that a ball carrier could break that infinite plane outside the pylon, but now it has to be at the pylon or inside.

On a pass play it's always considered to be within the pylons because it's almost impossible for a QB to throw a completed pass where the ball doesn't go over part the pylon. 

I havent seen the bolded change mentioned. Will google for more info. Still infinite as far as I know.

To the second part, I'm almost positive Josh has thrown more than 1 of these. At least 1 to Diggs, Davis, and Knox, over the last couple seasons. Receiver's toes on the line, ball way outside, caught, TD.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.