Report: Steelers fear that DPOY T.J. Watt tore his pec in win over Bengals

Peace Frog

1 hour ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Please excuse the novice question here, but this puzzled me last night during the Steelers vs Bengals game:

I know the Bengals long snapper was injured and they used (I think) a TE to snap for the field goals, which didn't go so well and negatively impacted the kicking operation.  So, my question is, why did they not just use their Center to snap on special teams instead of the TE?  Surely that would have been a better option? 

Thanks in advance. 👍

My reaction was the same. Center snaps to QB in shotgun all the time, how much harder could it be?

2 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Please excuse the novice question here, but this puzzled me last night during the Steelers vs Bengals game:

I know the Bengals long snapper was injured and they used (I think) a TE to snap for the field goals, which didn't go so well and negatively impacted the kicking operation.  So, my question is, why did they not just use their Center to snap on special teams instead of the TE?  Surely that would have been a better option? 

Thanks in advance. 👍

When a center snaps to a QB in the shotgun, the ball comes up quickly but softly so the QB can grab it easily.  The problem for the Bengals was the substitute long snapper couldn't get the ball to come back fast enough (on the missed extra point) or accurately enough (on the missed FG in OT).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

You know, you don't have to have to attempt FGs and EPs the traditional way, with a holder and a kicker.  The drop kick is still a legal play.  I don't think there's been a drop kick attempted in the NFL since Doug Flutie did it (successfully) in his last game in the league (with the Patriots).  But as a safety measure, in case your team's kicker or long snapper or holder is hurt, it wouldn't be a bad idea to train up someone on the team to be able to drop kick.  Place kicking is a completely different skill from what most players know how to do.  We all grew up punting the ball to our friends in the back yard.  At least for EPs, which a relatively short, a drop kick should be more reliable than having an inexperienced holder or kicker attempt a very specific, tricky skill.  Plus, since the drop kicker doesn't need a holder, that makes another player available to block.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Steelers still have a strong defense

But it's hard to watch them on offense with Trubisky and think that they're going to be put up enough points against our defense

Especially now with Najee Harris injured. 

If they think that Mitch with this noodle arm and half-field reads is going to put up 40+ passes and win, they're in for a rough day

7 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Steelers still have a strong defense

But it's hard to watch them on offense with Trubisky and think that they're going to be put up enough points against our defense

Especially now with Najee Harris injured. 

If they think that Mitch with this noodle arm and half-field reads is going to put up 40+ passes and win, they're in for a rough day

If zach Taylor had simply challenged the jamar chase non-TD (egregious!) the Steelers lose that game after the 6 turnovers which just shows the difference between the QB on each side. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hate to see injuries. Also, he is a dirty player.

He could have hit him way worse if he wanted to...could have de-cleated him. I don't see it being dirty...I see it the other way, that he exercised restraint...he didn't aim for his knees, he didn't level him, he simply got in his way as Burrow was sprinting to try and make a tackle on one of his numerous INTs I am assuming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Saw it when it happened - pretty sure Watt knew that was exactly what happened.

That was a big win for Pittsburgh, but boy it could end up being costly as they had a number of big injuries at key positions.

Oh he def knew - said "I tore it" multiple times on his way to the sidelines....first to himself and then to the trainers.  Sux for him thats for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If zach Taylor had simply challenged the jamar chase non-TD (egregious!) the Steelers lose that game after the 6 turnovers which just shows the difference between the QB on each side. 

Or if the Bengals let the clock run down before their last punt to give Trubisky almost no time instead over a minute--PLUS they could have fielded the punt at the 5--no one around!

Complete ST player and coaching F-up.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or if the Bengals let the clock run down before their last punt to give Trubisky almost no time instead over a minute--PLUS they could have fielded the punt at the 5--no one around!

Complete ST player and coaching F-up.

They snapped the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock.  I was honestly shocked that happened.  This is a perfect example, along with not challenging the Chase catch and how coaching really, really f'ed up the game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hate to see injuries. Also, he is a dirty player

It's just a Fire call. On an interception return, go hunt up the QB.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Watt, Higgins, Najee and Mixon all left the game at some point due to injury.  

Cam Heyward also

2 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Where did you see this? The reports I've heard said it turned out to be minor. It definitely didn't look minor though.

No, that looked gruesome even before the whistle blew

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.