Titans at Bills 2000

Buffalo03

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Observations:

Bills Defense from this era was excellent.

A. Smith, Moulds, Price & Reimersma were an excellent foursome -meaning we didn’t have a QB

Very boring game. Thank God for Josh Allen!

Rob ‘Glass’ Johnson

Loved that rock-ribbed 99-00 defense. Rolling out Ted Washington AND Pat Williams on running downs wasn’t even fair (wish we could bring those guys back against D. Henry next week!), along with relentless Sam Cowart and (underrated) John Holocek at ILB. Add Antoine Winfield, scrappy coverage guy and maybe the best tackling CB I’ve ever seen. 
But, good lord — Rob Johnson had TWO blindsides …

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

we had the same mentality. I actually remember having a dream prior to that game of peerless price catching a long TD to make the score 70-7. I ended up having that exact same recurring dream many times for several years— every time it was Price against the Titans to make it 70-7. Of course, it never came true…. 

70-7 sure would have been nice lol

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Also still one of the highest sacked QB's in terms of sack percentage in NFL History

Yeah, I believe he was sacked 1 out of every like 5 or 6 drop backs. And that was for every team he played for

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

70-7 sure would have been nice lol

Yeah, I believe he was sacked 1 out of every like 5 or 6 drop backs. And that was for every team he played for

Johnson doesn't meet the minimum requirements to make the career sack percentage list but if he did, he would be at the top of it...he was sacked over his career at a 14.8% rate, although with the Bills over the 4 years he was here, that was "only" 14.2%.

Interesting to see the 2 active QB's that are highest on the sack percentage list are Tyrod Taylor and Deshaun Watson.

Also interesting that the Bills had 2 of the top 4 least sacked QBs in NFL history in Jack Kemp at Daryle Lamonica.  

In terms of active players, Mahomes is the least sacked QB at 3.83% followed by Brady and Derek Carr.  Allen is 7th amongst starting QB's at 5.58%, but that number is likely to continue dropping as he has gone from 8% and 7.6% over his first two years in the NFL to 4.3% and 3.9% his last two years.

Another interesting note...if for whatever reason Keenum has to play extended time, he is sacked at a career rate slightly less than Allen...5.44%.

image.thumb.png.b125e57d896fd163550da5f1fdc1f13a.pngimage.thumb.png.84f14f1fd8c41c98ff5ae46a8e47b7ac.png

Edited by Big Turk

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

As I started last week, I will be posting old Bills games of our next opponent where we will be playing them the coming week. Last week I posted a 1995 Bills at Rams game and this week since it is a home game, I have chosen the Titans at Bills from week 1 of the 2000 season

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200009030buf.htm

image.thumb.png.32abe2b66b3d174009dd3f8046a6b721.png

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Johnson doesn't meet the minimum requirements to make the career sack percentage list but if he did, he would be at the top of it...he was sacked over his career at a 14.8% rate, although with the Bills over the 4 years he was here, that was "only" 14.2%.

Interesting to see the 2 active QB's that are highest on the sack percentage list are Tyrod Taylor and Deshaun Watson.

image.thumb.png.b125e57d896fd163550da5f1fdc1f13a.png

What are the requirements for the sack percentage? Seems like he should have hit it easily 

Just now, Limeaid said:

I was there. Still have "Topple the Titans" T-Shirt. 

Bills needed to do cuts but hated how they did them; Thurman found out on radio.

Yeah, the way they handled that for 3 Bills legends just wasn't right. On Thurman Thomas's 'A Football Life" he said he actually found out on the ticker watching ESPN at home. Ownership didn't even have the decency to tell them in person 

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I remember this game being the loudest I'd ever experienced at the stadium, and that counts a lot of memorable playoff games over the years.

I seem to remember stopping them on a critical 4th down in the red zone and the place just exploding

I was at this game, and it was, and still is, easily one of the loudest (if not the loudest) games I've ever bee to in Buffalo.  The atmosphere was incredible.

43 minutes ago, WideLeft said:

I was at this game, and it was, and still is, easily one of the loudest (if not the loudest) games I've ever bee to in Buffalo.  The atmosphere was incredible.

I wasn't at the game but watching it on TV, it seemed loud as hell. At that time, it was probably one of our more anticipated season/home openers ever considering what happened the year before

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Observations:

Bills Defense from this era was excellent.

A. Smith, Moulds, Price & Reimersma were an excellent foursome -meaning we didn’t have a QB

Very boring game. Thank God for Josh Allen!

Rob ‘Glass’ Johnson

Rob Johnson had comically bad sack percentage numbers.  80 sacks across 2 seasons with a Bills career sack % of 14.2%.  

And for era adjustment... its still worst in the league.  It's on par with the 2 seasons where David Carr was sacked 68 and 76 times.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.