Titans at Bills 2000

Buffalo03

As I started last week, I will be posting old Bills games of our next opponent where we will be playing them the coming week. Last week I posted a 1995 Bills at Rams game and this week since it is a home game, I have chosen the Titans at Bills from week 1 of the 2000 season

I refer to this as a bittersweet Bills game. Bitter because this was the very first game of the start of a 17 year playoff drought and was also the first game after the release of the big 3 (Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith) earlier that off-season. But obviously the sweet part was that it was a Bills win and you can never be upset with a Bills win. It also was a revenge game for us against Titans after losing to them in the Music City Miracle the year before and was on the opening Sunday night of the season at home in front of our fans. 

My biggest memory of this game was Alex Van Pelt coming in in the 4th quarter in relief of Johnson (because of Flutie injuring himself in training camp that season) to lead the Bills to a win after Johnson went down as he so often did. I also remember Steve Christie, in his last year as a Bill being clutch as he usually always was hitting the game winner in this one as well

This game is only 1 of 2 times we have beaten the Titans as the Titans (not the Oilers) in Buffalo. The only other time was in 2018 which was Josh's rookie year. Feel free to post any thoughts or anything you remember about this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Observations:

Bills Defense from this era was excellent.

A. Smith, Moulds, Price & Reimersma were an excellent foursome -meaning we didn’t have a QB

Very boring game. Thank God for Josh Allen!

Rob ‘Glass’ Johnson

Yeah, Rob Johnson was awful. And the defense this season was coming off of back to back #1 defense seasons under Ted Cottrell. The game is not particularly exciting but I only post wins against that particular opponent in the place we are playing them. This is only 1 of 2 wins against the Titans in Buffalo. The other game in 2018 which was Josh's rookie year was actually a lot more boring than this game was. I miss the old Sunday Night Football crew. Mike Patrick could make any game exciting 

Edited by Buffalo03

\

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Bitter because this was the very first game of the start of a 17 year playoff drought and was also the first game after the release of the big 3 (Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith) earlier that off-season.

That is not a coincidence. 17 years is not coincidence either. Broken in 20"17" and afterwards we drafted Josh Allen who wears number #17. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

I remember this game being the loudest I'd ever experienced at the stadium, and that counts a lot of memorable playoff games over the years.

I seem to remember stopping them on a critical 4th down in the red zone and the place just exploding

I remember saying the game sounded loud on tv

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, Rob Johnson was awful. And the defense this season was coming off of back to back #1 defense seasons under Ted Cottrell. The game is not particularly exciting but I only post wins against that particular opponent in the place we are playing them. This is only 1 of 2 wins against the Titans in Buffalo. The other game in 2018 which was Josh's rookie year was actually a lot more boring than this game was. I miss the old Sunday Night Football crew. Dan Patrick could make any game exciting 

It was Mike Patrick, not Dan.   

2 minutes ago, Kellyhero68 said:

\

That is not a coincidence. 17 years is not coincidence either. Broken in 20"17" and afterwards we drafted Josh Allen who wears number #17. 

Allen does wear 17 and I believe only one of a few players in the team's history to do so. So it makes it even more crazy. He wears that particular number right after the drought was over

1 minute ago, SMAKCruiser said:

It was Mike Patrick, not Dan.   

Yes, I meant Mike Patrick and said Dan on accident. Thanks for catching that 

9 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I'd kill to be able to put Sam Cowart on this team...dude was in the same conversation as Ray Lewis and Takeo Spikes as the best LB in the league...I still remember the very play in TB the derailed his career

Yeah, Sam Cowart was a beast. I remember being upset we didn't resign him after that season. I believe he went the Vikings after thar but was never the same player

3 minutes ago, teef said:

as far as i can remember, this is the only night game i've ever been too.  i had just moved to buffalo and was ready to party.  it was a blast.  i really thought the bills were ready for another run.  oops!

Unfortunately, this season was the first of 17 straight non playoff seasons and was disappointing. We were 7-4 at one point this season before losing 4 of our last 5

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

As I started last week, I will be posting old Bills games of our next opponent where we will be playing them the coming week. Last week I posted a 1995 Bills at Rams game and this week since it is a home game, I have chosen the Titans at Bills from week 1 of the 2000 season

I refer to this as a bittersweet Bills game. Bitter because this was the very first game of the start of a 17 year playoff drought and was also the first game after the release of the big 3 (Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith) earlier that off-season. But obviously the sweet part was that it was a Bills win and you can never be upset with a Bills win. It also was a revenge game for us against Titans after losing to them in the Music City Miracle the year before and was on the opening Sunday night of the season at home in front of our fans. 

My biggest memory of this game was Alex Van Pelt coming in in the 4th quarter in relief of Johnson (because of Flutie injuring himself in training camp that season) to lead the Bills to a win after Johnson went down as he so often did. I also remember Steve Christie, in his last year as a Bill being clutch as he usually always was hitting the game winner in this one as well

This game is only 1 of 2 times we have beaten the Titans as the Titans (not the Oilers) in Buffalo. The only other time was in 2018 which was Josh's rookie year. Feel free to post any thoughts or anything you remember about this game. 

Thanks for posting. This game was everything for me. Coming off the MCM, I hated that titans team and Jeff Fisher— we absolutely had to win this one. It is a game I still remember vividly. 

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Thanks for posting. This game was everything for me. Coming off the MCM, I hated that titans team and Jeff Fisher— we absolutely had to win this one. It is a game I still remember vividly. 

I remember going into that game wanting to get that revenge against them so bad. And it was a Sunfay night game so it made it even harder lol. We got the win though, it was nice to get pay back. It would have been better if it was a blow out though

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Watched a little bit of it and made me realize just how bad those teams were offensively.  Even with Moulds who was still a beast, they looked anemic.  

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Watched a little bit of it and made me realize just how bad those teams were offensively.  Even with Moulds who was still a beast, they looked anemic.  

A lot of it was Johnson. He was one of the worst QBs in team history. We had Moulds and Price though, along with Remiersma. Definitely should have been better

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I remember going into that game wanting to get that revenge against them so bad. And it was a Sunfay night game so it made it even harder lol. We got the win though, it was nice to get pay back. It would have been better if it was a blow out though

we had the same mentality. I actually remember having a dream prior to that game of peerless price catching a long TD to make the score 70-7. I ended up having that exact same recurring dream many times for several years— every time it was Price against the Titans to make it 70-7. Of course, it never came true…. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

A lot of it was Johnson. He was one of the worst QBs in team history. We had Moulds and Price though, along with Remiersma. Definitely should have been better

Also still one of the highest sacked QB's in terms of sack percentage in NFL History

I have almost no memory of this game.  Strange, as I had traveled from Atlanta to be there. My only memory is that I went to Buffalo with my wife, but she stayed home with my folks and I went to the game with (I presume) my brother.

In those days, the season began on Labor Day weekend, which I always loved. I could go spend a few days in WNY, go to the home opener, have a paid holiday, and use few PTO days for that mini-vacation.

The NFL start got moved to the week after Labor Day at some point when they figured it was cutting into their TV viewing numbers.

But, it's weird that I just don't remember anything about the game itself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.