Edmunds as an EDGE

Warriorspikes51

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think we have enough depth at LB with Dodson Bernard and Spector 

that we should try some 4-3 overloaded blitz looks with Tremaine next to Von.

Edmunds really needs to make impact plays and this would give him more opportunities

he’s looked good in my opinion when used as a blitzer up the middle

I remember in year 1 or 2 he came off the edge against Mia and annihilated Tannehil and the LT. Dude is a great athlete. 

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's a worse pass rusher than he is a run stopper. His 'out of this world' athleticism bails him out from terrible instincts in pass coverage and run support, but you need to be technically sound and have good instincts to be a capable pass rusher. I'm looking forward to him signing a 100/5 contract with the Raiders in the offseason.

WTF???

The one thing that I think most would agree that Edmunds is good at is with his size taking away much of the passing lanes. Probably he provides more value there than many on this board give him credit for too but there are a dozen other threads about that.

But the one thing he may be best at, the suggestion is to take that away.

And suggesting that after a game we sacked the QB 7 times with zero blitzing!

50 minutes ago, Dopey said:

That you really believe what you wrote in bold. That’s the part of his game that makes him valuable to us. You will not find many in the nfl that does it better than Edmunds, at the mlb spot. 

That's objectively false. He isn't even the best on his own team. Milano destroys him in coverage. Edmunds allowed a 78% completion percentage and a QBR of 106 last season compared to Milano's 55.2% and 71.9 QBR respectively.

This is reinforced by PFF rankings which don't put him in the top 20 linebackers in the league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdmuTr01.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00.htm

Going back to what I said, his athleticism makes him a much better coverage linebacker than he would be if he was half a step slower. All the wrong first steps he takes and the additional time he uses to process the play is often offset by a degree because of how big and fast he is. Given that he's been in the league 5 years, I don't see that part of his game making significant improvement. He just doesn't process accurately enough and fast enough to be an elite talent.

He's the kind of player that will fall off a cliff right out of the league on an afternoon where he's a shade slower than he was the week before. I hope we aren't the ones to make the mistake of paying him like the elite player he isn't.

13 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

I can't believe we've reached almost 3 pages and nobody has suggested paring him with Ed Oliver as the opposite DE as yet!

They actually did give Oliver some snaps at End last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's objectively false. He isn't even the best on his own team. Milano destroys him in coverage. Edmunds allowed a 78% completion percentage and a QBR of 106 last season compared to Milano's 55.2% and 71.9 QBR respectively.

This is reinforced by PFF rankings which don't put him in the top 20 linebackers in the league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdmuTr01.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00.htm

Going back to what I said, his athleticism makes him a much better coverage linebacker than he would be if he was half a step slower. All the wrong first steps he takes and the additional time he uses to process the play is often offset by a degree because of how big and fast he is. Given that he's been in the league 5 years, I don't see that part of his game making significant improvement. He just doesn't process accurately enough and fast enough to be an elite talent.

He's the kind of player that will fall off a cliff right out of the league on an afternoon where he's a shade slower than he was the week before. I hope we aren't the ones to make the mistake of paying him like the elite player he isn't.

Pretty sure I wrote at mlb. Pretty sure. Before you say he’s not a mlb cuz we play 2 lbs, ok, ILB. It’s easy to just dump the ball in front of Edmunds cuz he clogs the passing lanes and our coaching staff was ok with that. We were a “keep it in front of you” defense last year. He’s going to give up those numbers playing the way we did.  He doesn’t give up the big play. Deceiving stats, if you ask me. He played the position the way our staff wanted him to. That was by design. But if you wanna bring up Milano, he gave up the td to Kelcey in our playoff loss to KC( he got Mossed). You should have seen Milano give up that long run for a td in the NE loss too. I like Milano and won’t compare the two cuz they are asked to do different things out there. Weak and lazy comparison, IMO. 
Hell, Edmunds created at least one interception last week with his presence out there. But since he didn’t intercept it people don’t see it. And no official stat to show he impacted the play and caused the int. PFF?!? 😂 You really going “stat boy” on this? I prefer watching the game and drawing my own conclusion.  

Edited by Dopey
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

In the spirit of fellowship, the Bills DID successfully use Edmunds in this kind of 4-3 "over" alignment against the 49ers a couple of years back. (The game where Josh really broke out as a passer on primetime TV (that laser over Warner to the in-breaking Gabriel Davis).) In that game, Edmunds often lined up out on the strongside edge, and was replaced in the middle by Klein. I don't remember any impact plays from that position, but I do remember the Bills stifling the Shanahan attack and winning the game. 

That's interesting. 

So it looks like the Bills actually used the formation proposed by the OP.

Wow !

The Bills used the formation to shut down Shanahans stretch zone running attack !

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.