Cornerback conversation

NewEra

We were scheme fitting them Thursday. I didn't watch closely enough and couldn't on Nat TV to see it but we seemed to match them to our scheme and situation.

Further, I wonder what route they'd have went if they knew Benford would work. Have to think Devin Lloyd at LB which would have been nice. 

On 9/11/2022 at 6:01 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Pretty sure it was Benford who missed that tackle on Kupp’s long gain.

There have been plenty of clunker games under McD but I’m struggling to remember a single game with him as the coach where our secondary got roasted - it never happens.  

This is 100% going from memory, but my memory is that our secondary has been roasted 1-2x per game in games where we're "selling out" a bit to stop the run.

2019 Ravens game, deep TD pass to one of their TE - may have been Hurst.  Houston playoff game - deep pass to Hopkins set up their 4Q comeback TD. 

Seems like we gave up a long pass to someone - a 3rd WR to the Chiefs? in that game to convert a 3rd and long and keep them grinding for a score that put the dagger in any chance of a comeback.  Not that deep, but gave up a couple of red-zone-ish passes to AJ Brown vs Tenn that put them down on the goal line with 1st and goal and enabled TDs a play or 2 later.  Probably some more last year.

Perhaps you mean something different by "roasted" and you would call that "burned a few times"

On 9/11/2022 at 9:06 AM, GunnerBill said:

Haven't done Diggs' matchups yet. I am not really faulting Benford either. I was just making the point that even if you had Tre White and prime Richard Sherman out there it barely matters to Kupp's numbers. He doesn't really play against outside corners. 

Which of course speaks to the argument (made by you, I think, as well me and some others) that Kupp would not necessarily flourish on the Bills as easily as Diggs would flourish on the Rams. Doesn't diminish him at all, as he's clearly effing awesome. But the Bills simply do NOT skew their entire passing offense to repeatedly getting one WR favorable looks against safeties and linebackers and slot CBs. I know fans like when the Rams scheme for Kupp to get open by design (results in big numbers), and for example now the Vikings suddenly/finally repeatedly scheme for Jefferson to get open against LBs and safeties like 60% of his snaps (results in even bigger numbers for that freak WR). 

But if an offense can still get high-end production out of its #1 WR withOUT such deliberate play design, thereby creating more options/outlets for the QB on each play no matter how the defense plays coverage, doesn't that make sustained success more likely? 

In short, I like the Bills offensive approach. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/11/2022 at 4:44 AM, GunnerBill said:

Err... barely. Cooper Kupp doesn't play against outside corners. The Rams are experts at matching him against nickelbacks, linebackers and safeties. And so it was on Thursday. My breakdown of coverage responsibility on him for his 13 catches was:

Taron Johnson - 3

Matt Milano - 3

Jordan Poyer - 2 (including the touchdown)

Christian Benford - 2

Tremaine Edmunds - 1

Kaiir Elam - 1
Micah Hyde - 1

So of his 13 catches only 3 came against outside corners. Of those the play against Benford was the one bubble screen the Bills forced back inside and Von tackled him for a 2 yard loss. There was one play against Elam on the final Rams drive when the game was over, a simple hook route for 8 yards with the Bills playing soft zone. Then on the same drive there was the catch and run for 28 where Benford missed the tackle. 

The idea that Tre White (or any high-end vet corner) would have had any impact on Cooper Kupp fails to understand the way the Rams use Cooper Kupp. The two rookie corners gave up literally one play against him with a missed tackle when the game was already dead. 

EDITED thanks to @Coach Tuesday. It was indeed Benford and not Elam that missed the tackle late on.

Doesn't take away from Kupp being the best receiver though...

Just now, Sherlock Holmes said:

Doesn't take away from Kupp being the best receiver though...

No it is no knock on Kupp. The Rams ask him to do what he does best. Why would you ask him to do something that he doesn't do best? That would just be poor coaching. He is exceptional at what they ask him to do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.