Cornerback conversation

NewEra

When Tre returns, it’s going to be a battle for snaps.  Seems like Dane has the lead atm, but Benford and Elam are going to make this a dogfight.  

Reading this scouting report on Benford has me thinking he could be the best fit for playing zone.  When we play man, Elam a better choice.  Doing that telegraphs our defense, so we’d have to still mix it up.  
But can he beat out Dane who has an important year of experience and is playoff tested?  I’m think I’m pulling for Benford because he’s a jackhammer with a knack for getting his hands on the ball.  With Hyde and Poyer over top, they can mask some of his speed deficiency.   

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/.amp/scouting-reports/christianbenford

It would probably be best if Elam took control considering he’s the only one with wheels… but I think the experience of Dane in the system gives him the advantage.  It looks as if our corners unit is one of the strongest in the league

Having this beast DL pass rush best benefits the slower zone ballhawk imo

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3

I think it could be matchup based. I'd rather have Elam's speed out there when we play fast receivers like the Dolphins have. But I have a lot of confidence in McDermott's ability to make good choices with secondary personnel and to coach them up. It's his forte.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I’m really happy for Benford a 6th round pick from a small school and all that , at the same time it’s a little disappointing that Elam a first rd pick form a Big time program with all that speed and athleticism can not win the starting job , and I understand we play zone and Elam has played mostly man in college 

but still ( I’m a little disappointed) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Dane is clearly CB2 on this team when Tre White is healthy. Neither Benford nor Elam are challenging him for snaps at this time. 

However, Tre White is NOT yet game healthy, so the platooning of Elam and Benford is impactful on a game-to-game basis. They have different physical traits and different skillsets and fluencies. Ideally, by season's end, both rookie corners have gained enough seasoning to be relied upon no matter the play call or matchup. We know our coaches are ELITE developers of secondary talent. It will be fascinating to see how the CB snap counts unfold in 2022/23. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Dane is clearly CB2 on this team when Tre White is healthy. Neither Benford nor Elam are challenging him for snaps at this time. 

However, Tre White is NOT yet game healthy, so the platooning of Elam and Benford is impactful on a game-to-game basis. They have different physical traits and different skillsets and fluencies. Ideally, by season's end, both rookie corners have gained enough seasoning to be relied upon no matter the play call or matchup. We know our coaches are ELITE developers of secondary talent. It will be fascinating to see how the CB snap counts unfold in 2022/23. 

I agree, dane is cb2 when Tre comes back as it stands, but make no mistake about, there is a 3 man audition for the next 3+ games.  If Benford or Elam prove to be better over the next 3 games (which isn’t that great of a stretch).  If one of the rookies plays lights out, snatching the spot isn’t impossible.  They just have to play light out.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Most likely yeah, I agree.

Could be as little as 3 weeks no?

Yeah but he can’t practice for the 4 weeks so you have to believe he’ll need a couple weeks of practice. So 4 weeks plus the 3 weeks practice, it works out perfectly. Bills will have to make a roster decision during the bye week 7. Injuries will happen between now and then. The decision will probably not be a difficult one at that time.

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m really happy for Benford a 6th round pick from a small school and all that , at the same time it’s a little disappointing that Elam a first rd pick form a Big time program with all that speed and athleticism can not win the starting job , and I understand we play zone and Elam has played mostly man in college 

but still ( I’m a little disappointed) 

What does it matter which one wins it if the guy that wins is good enough?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Kupp is the best receiver in the game, but he kept getting open.  Better CB play would have limited him at least a little.  Neither Elam nor Benford has really proved they deserve the job. 

Against the Rams, our D line overwhelmed their patchwork O line and that helped the CBs.  An opponent with a strong O line will give their QB time to pass, and that could be a problem for whichever rookie is playing.  

As things stand both rookies look like pretty good players, not studs.  There's no other position on the Bills where being pretty good is good enough to stick around, let alone start.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

I’m really happy for Benford a 6th round pick from a small school and all that , at the same time it’s a little disappointing that Elam a first rd pick form a Big time program with all that speed and athleticism can not win the starting job

10 minutes ago, Malazan said:

What does it matter which one wins it if the guy that wins is good enough?

Not only that. What if they're BOTH playing really well?

McDermott's comments AND the snap counts (Benford 38, Elam 30) indicate that the two are neck and neck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Benford is the better tackler at the moment and with Henry coming to town and a Titans team that just watched our pass rush dismantle Stafford - going to get a heavy dose of runs and very quick passes.  I expect to see more Benford next week.  

Elam's speed could give him the edge vs Miami.  Would expect him to be fired up to be back in Florida as well.  We'll see.  One game at a time.  

I really do think the tackling is what is separating them at the moment.   

Such a great "problem" to have.    

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Kupp is the best receiver in the game, but he kept getting open.  Better CB play would have limited him at least a little.  Neither Elam nor Benford has really proved they deserve the job. 

Against the Rams, our D line overwhelmed their patchwork O line and that helped the CBs.  An opponent with a strong O line will give their QB time to pass, and that could be a problem for whichever rookie is playing.  

As things stand both rookies look like pretty good players, not studs.  There's no other position on the Bills where being pretty good is good enough to stick around, let alone start.

So was Diggs against allegedly the best cornerback int he game. Benford played just as well as Ramsey. In the modern NFL, you aren't locking down a guy like Kupp. He's going to get his. You just need to stop him when it matters most and they did. The pass rush sure helped a ton too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It all comes down to the Dline, shutting down the run early. Make a team one dimensional. Then it’s about the quality of the pass rush. If you can get pressure sending 3 or 4 men great. The more pressure then you can play more zone and attack the short routes by jumping the routes. No need to take too many risks. I’m interested in facing a run heavy play action offense like the Titans offer. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.