Tua and his sensitive fan base (JA17 Related)

billsbackto81

There are some real mental gymnastics a lot of Phins fans have been doing. They simultaneously believe Josh sucks and is an overrated bum while thinking Tua is in line for a "massive year three jump forward just like Josh Allen."

And Tua isn't even attempting this throw, not in that same situation anyway. Also, Josh makes this throw on the run. I dunno if anyone watches The QB School on YouTube with JT O'Sullivan but his breakdowns are pretty good and he applies criticism where it's warranted. He said this throw was absolutely ridiculous and he doesn't know many QBs that would even try it let alone connect on it. 

Phins fans....da skidmarks of the NFL audience. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's the truth tho...Allen throws the first to Davis off his back foot from a pocket that is getting squeezed and the second on a dead run jumping off one foot to Diggs...

Tua would never even attempt those throws because they are beyond the realm of possibilities in his mind.

Even when he sleeps Tua couldn't dream of completing those passes.

20 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

There are some real mental gymnastics a lot of Phins fans have been doing. They simultaneously believe Josh sucks and is an overrated bum while thinking Tua is in line for a "massive year three jump forward just like Josh Allen."

And Tua isn't even attempting this throw, not in that same situation anyway. Also, Josh makes this throw on the run. I dunno if anyone watches The QB School on YouTube with JT O'Sullivan but his breakdowns are pretty good and he applies criticism where it's warranted. He said this throw was absolutely ridiculous and he doesn't know many QBs that would even try it let alone connect on it. 

Phins fans....da skidmarks of the NFL audience. 

Not sure after watching Allen demolish them singlehandedly at times going back to his rookie year how they could still convince themselves Allen sucks. That has to be serious mental gymnastics.

I still believe that Tua's hip injury has affected his ability to drive the ball down the field. If you look at his first couple of seasons at Alabama, his arm looked stronger to me. He has the hip injury, gets to the NFL, and now the total affect of that injury is evident. I don't think he'll ever be the same at this point. Can he be serviceable in a West Coast style of offense? Probably, but he's never going to be a top 15 QB imo. And anyone trying to compare Allen or the throws he makes to Tua and the throws he makes, it's like trying to compare a 2022 Rolls-Royce Phantom to a 1994 Buick Regal. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

This is what happens when people put too much stock into college football IMO. 

College games are bought and paid for.

Big names pay lower teams to get beat up on.
it’s sweet when the underdog kicks the crap out of the big name team.  

ask yourself 

Why is the average NFL players career  roughly 3 years?

You end up with the Tua’s and Mac Jones’ portrayed as being legit 

Sam Darnold? Basically done as a starter 

Faker Mayfield may not be far behind 

and then the fans get all moody someone disagrees with them. 

He played in the SEC. They have a game or two vs. scrubs, but those teams run through a gauntlet. He played vs tough competition in college. It’s Bama, I get it, but not every game was vs scrubs. 

I’m guessing injury has a lot to do with it. Along with 5th-7th rounders not lasting too long. 

I believe Baker will be fine in Carolina. If he’s healthy this year. 

This this guy kind of missed the point.  The issue with Tua isn't under throwing the long pass, it's more a case of how fast he can get the ball to the WR 10 yards away or a 15  yard out.  Those are the passes that make the difference between a starting NFL QB and a star college QB who is now a backup.

• Like (+1) 2

The over analysis of these 2 throws is hilarious.

On the Gabe throw, it was a perfect throw under the circumstances. 3rd down, collapsing pocket, a shot down field off his back foot. Josh put it in a place where only Gabe could make a play on it, and if you watch it in slow-mo you can see Gabe cut off his route a touch to adjust to the ball. He was only able to do that because Josh lofted the ball to the middle of the field when Gabe was running down the left hash. Now, if Josh had a clean pocket and could step into the throw and still made the same toss, yeah I’d agree it was a little under thrown and a touch better ball would have resulted in a TD. This play? Can’t get much better.

On the toss to Diggs any criticism what so ever is ridiculous. Josh was running 13 mph and didn’t set his feet yet uncorked a 50 yard bomb that resulted in a TD. Please. If anyone says anything other than “WOW” just STFU. Again, if he was in a clean pocket, able to plant his feet and made that throw, I’d consider it a bit off target BUT IT’S STILL A TD so who cares.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

In the Simms interview Josh said he has been focusing on underthrowing a bit when he has someone deep down field so as to assure a chance for a completion. In his bad long ball year of 2019 all the deep throws were overthrown. Now he’s connecting deep down field virtually every game. The difference is Tua is not trying to underthrow. He just can’t get it there. 

This may be what you mean, but there are some assumptions there worth spelling out.

Sure, Tua can throw the ball 50, 60 yds.   He can probably throw it further.  People think "throwing the ball far" is a great benchmark of armstrength, but it's not.  Give Tua space and time to reset his platform and step into the throw with proper technique and he can get the ball there now that he's more healed.

The reason those are remarkable throws during a game is that they're very difficult for far more reasons than the distance the throw traveled.  The reason Tua struggles to make those throws in games is he's got 4-7 guys doing their level best to make sure that he doesn't have that space and time.

To Davis, Allen was throwing in a crowded backfield, with 7 defenders and their blockers all around him.  Tua doesn't have the height to make that throw be anything but batted down.  He also needs space to set properly and use good mechanics.  That's not a knock on him.  Most QB do.  That's why the throw had a completion probability under 26% to NextGen

I think it was J.T. O'Sullivan (The Quarterback School Youtube, posted here) who diagrammed why the ball was placed where it was, so that Davis could bend his route and go for it while the defender was boxed out, but yes, for the first couple years of Allen's career he routinely overthrew his deep balls and I heard that too.  It's a matter of trusting his ball placement when he's throwing deep so that he has confidence it can be his receiver's ball or no one's ball.

Diggs has said he tripped and worried he wouldn't be able to make that catch, and on tape we can actually see the toe of his cleat catch in the turf.  And again, it's throwing on the dead run without setting, off one foot, which makes that a difficult throw with a 25.8% completion probability to NextGen, and frankly I think they're over-estimating the chances and not accounting for how fast Allen was running and that he didn't pause to get set - at all.

I'll believe that Tua can throw the ball with that accuracy 53 yds off his back foot, from a dead run, when I see it.

Edited by Beck Water

25 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

On the Gabe throw, it was a perfect throw under the circumstances. 3rd down, collapsing pocket, a shot down field off his back foot. Josh put it in a place where only Gabe could make a play on it, and if you watch it in slow-mo you can see Gabe cut off his route a touch to adjust to the ball. He was only able to do that because Josh lofted the ball to the middle of the field when Gabe was running down the left hash. Now, if Josh had a clean pocket and could step into the throw and still made the same toss, yeah I’d agree it was a little under thrown and a touch better ball would have resulted in a TD. This play? Can’t get much better.

On the toss to Diggs any criticism what so ever is ridiculous. Josh was running 13 mph and didn’t set his feet yet uncorked a 50 yard bomb that resulted in a TD. Please. If anyone says anything other than “WOW” just STFU. Again, if he was in a clean pocket, able to plant his feet and made that throw, I’d consider it a bit off target BUT IT’S STILL A TD so who cares.

Anyone that needs to see what Allen can do from a clean pocket when he sets his feet only needs to go watch the 75 yard TD to Davis against the Chiefs last year where the ball looked like a homing missiles with a ridiculous trajectory that just came down perfectly in Gabe's hands...

That was an absolute laser shot.

25 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

And in the grand scheme of things I would much rather see the ball end up a little short and caught for a 45+ yard gain and a TD than overthrown or barely out of reach and a missed completion.

There is something to be said for making sure the ball is completed when a player is that wide open versus making a perfect throw.

If we remember going back to even his second season, this was something Allen struggled with badly at times...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I love that Dolphins fans compare Tua to JA instead of the guy they passed on in Justin Herbert 

This is exactly the lack of "self" (team goof) awareness that gets to me.

Yo, Miami.  You drafted 11th in 2018.  Josh Allen is not your comparator.

Justin Herbert is your comparator, Fishies.

Compare Tua to Herbert.

And weep.

18 hours ago, gobills404 said:

At least they don’t cry racism every chance they get like Lamar’s fan base

Funny, and here I thought every pundit in town (and nationally) is saying Josh Allen needs to run less because it's not sustainable.

We say it here.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I don't think much of Tua, he's always been a left handed EJ Manuel to me, but I do rate their new coach from what I've seen of him so far. The game will tell the full story (and I hope I'm wrong, it's so much fun reading fin heaven when they're all complaining and crying)

Their new coach gives off a serious serial killer vibe and the coaching career may just be his cover.

• Haha (+1) 2

👻 Tua is 3 - 0 against NE

WITHOUT BRADY.

Belicheat has a losing record in Miami even with Brady.

plus Fitzpatrick played and lost the NE  game in Tua’s first season there 

Winning records mean everything 

Just ask Tebow fans and Garoppolo fans and even Mitch Trubisky has a winning record 

19 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

LOL- Like Tua would have the arm strength to throw an a 55 yard piss missile on the run.

The difference? Tua doesn't attempt that pass-(The TD to diggs)  If he does, It is 15 yards under thrown as he simply does not have half the arm strength JA17 has

If Tua attempted it Ramsey would have a pick, that's why he gave up the ground he did to Diggs, he didn't think a QB could make that throw. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.