Tua and his sensitive fan base (JA17 Related)

billsbackto81

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I still believe that Tua's hip injury has affected his ability to drive the ball down the field. If you look at his first couple of seasons at Alabama, his arm looked stronger to me. He has the hip injury, gets to the NFL, and now the total affect of that injury is evident. I don't think he'll ever be the same at this point. Can he be serviceable in a West Coast style of offense? Probably, but he's never going to be a top 15 QB imo. And anyone trying to compare Allen or the throws he makes to Tua and the throws he makes, it's like trying to compare a 2022 Rolls-Royce Phantom to a 1994 Buick Regal. 

I agree. His arm looked stronger in college. That was a bad hip injury. I think it was a year or two ago Josh Allen was working with Palmer on using his core to create more torque on his throws. It seems that kind of work would help Tua generate more zip on his passes. I wonder how much that injury threw off his mechanics, and he is trying to compensate with his arm. Being skittish about getting hit also does not help him set his feet/ platform and exposes his arm more than it should.

As for the JA love nationally, we all love it. But let's not pretend that we haven't heard the same about other QBs in the league for decades and been 'that fanbase'. To wit, Nick Wright asked if this is how other fanbases felt when the sports media was gushing over Mahomes and the Chiefs for his first 2-3 seasons. One of the more insightful comments Nick Wright has ever made.

I'm thankful for JA and this iteration of the Bills franchise, and try to slow my roll a bit and just take it all in and live in the moment. It's fun having the 'it guy', but I can understand how other fan bases could get turned off by the overwhelming gushing about our boys in blue. None of it means a hill of beans until the Lombardy is brought to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I was watching the game just chuckling to myself that those teams think they stand any chance in the division with them against Allen.

Yup.  And that they'll be looking for new QBs within the next year or two.

On 9/10/2022 at 1:12 PM, GoBills808 said:

Young QBs w question marks are going to get criticized until they start playing above it

Yes, although let's remember that Tua Tagavailoa was celebrated by the sports media when he was drafted, whereas Josh Allen was scorned.

Being a Hesiman winner helps too, but he was getting his butt kissed from the start.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, although let's remember that Tua Tagavailoa was celebrated by the sports media when he was drafted, whereas Josh Allen was scorned.

Being a Hesiman winner helps too, but he was getting his butt kissed from the start.

That shine of the Heisman has surely worn off by now for most of the media and they've said it. 

He has Hill now so he needs to look like he is still a Heisman winner. 

He did enough today is my "hot take"

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

was going to ask the same. His box score looked like a career day for him. 

Couple of nice throws but he was still the same Tua.

Arm strength is his weakness and cannot really throw if he isn't set perfect with his feet.   His noodle arm reared its head multiple times.

Pats had a for sure INT but dropped it and on another throw Hill stripped the ball away from a Pats defender who should have had the pick.  So the stats would have been a bit worse.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I didn’t watch the game, box score looks decent for Tua.  How did he actually play?

Captain Checkdown.

Any time he tried to go any distance, he looked like the underthrew it.

His throwing motion looked awful - and that's not just because he's a leftie.

I had the game on, but couldn't bring myself to really watch it, as it was pretty awful.

Jones was crap too.

The best unit on the field, was probably the Cheaters D. Kyle Dugger is for real.

Fins D was okay, but Jones either handed them the football, or didn't make the right corrections in blocking, and found himself firmly on his ass.

Neither QB worries me in the slightest.

The Fins do have weapons in Hill and Waddle though. It's unlikely they will hurt you downfield, Tua either can't really get the football there, or doesn't bother looking, but you do have to make sure they don't get yac, otherwise known as tackling properly.

Edmunds brother was also decent, especially as an outlet, although tbh, pretty much every throw Tua attempted looked like a checkdown.

As an aside, it's no wonder evil Bill didn't let Jones throw when the wind blew back in December, as he puts too much air under the football.

I'm not so sure that was a coaching masterstroke, as more of a lack of trust in him being able to throw when it's more than a little windy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I didn’t watch the game, box score looks decent for Tua.  How did he actually play?

Average. He has to put everything into 20 yard outs.

The box score shows Waddle with a 40+yd TD to end the first half. The pass was 15 yards down field and Waddle off to the races after a missed tackle.

That is why the Dolphins have Waddle and Hill IMO. Tua labors to get passes 20+ yards downfield, but both of those WRs can break any 10-20 yard pass for an explosive play with YAC.

He avoided the big mistake, but was unable to capitalize on Dugger (S) and Phillips (S) being banged up/ missing most of the second half. The Pats game plan was to limit Hill's YAC. It was effective, but Waddle had some good plays.

Edited by RocCityRoller

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don't think he played as bad as a lot of people are saying.

I would say he played "ok to descent".

No "wow" throws though, that's for sure.

Edited by BillsFan130

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.