Von Miller played just 35 snaps vs the Rams

Inigo Montoya

I believe the Bills use a lot of analytics,  so they probably have a snap count based upon age, size etc. I'd probably look at more of a snap count than a %. Hughes was never used more that 66%(46-50 snaps).

With the extra game, depending on the team we play (pass vs running team) and planning for a SB, I would venture a guess of 40-45 snaps a game average. But, hey, just a guess on my part.😁

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, costrovs said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but I believe the heat had something to do with the low snap count also. The TV announcers mentioned the heat and the way the bills were rotating players. 

Their performance in the heat was a great indicator for week 3. I was worried about the heat for that game but looks like they will be fully prepared.

I’ll go say 4 hail seans 3 our beanes to make up for doubting they would be ready for the heat in week 3. 

Bruce Smith's 19 sack single season record is going to be at risk this season. 

Allen puts us up and forces the other teams to pass often, Miller's sack opportunities are going to be more than any other year of his career.

If he picks up a 4-5 sack day vs a bad team like the Jets I think he hits 20.

21 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Miller needs to be coached that if he plays 50% of the snaps he can essentially play half a season. This will extend his career, which is important. But even more important uses him strategically and efficiently to maximize his output potential.

I don't get the impression he will need to be coached to realize he's gonna benefit from the rotation we employ.  I think his statements on wanting to be on the field just was his way of saying he isn't looking to be a passenger but be a part of the reason the Bills get the Lombardi.  He's aware he's got a shot to at least challenge the sack record Bruce holds, but it means von has to play well for a number of years yet.  Don't know if I want to see any player break Smith's record for sacks, but I know I'd rather it be a player that did get a healthy percentage of his stats as a Bill.

Miller is chasing his place in nfl history.  He wants to be first to win 3 SB with 3 different teams.  Be awfully nice to get into the top 5 all time sack leaders.  Since he signed for a number of years which coincide with what appears to be the start of a new winning era for the franchise, it is feasible he could challenge for 2nd place total number of sb wins and get 5 rings,   3 coming as a Buffalo Bill making the choice to be inducted to HOF as a Bill, as he then transitions to joining Brandon Beanes staff. And he eventually becomes Bills GM at some future time to get more SB rings with the Bills. 

I mean if I am going to take the time to imagine some future scenario it's gonna be the one I described not some picture of a disgruntled aging star crying over playing time.  But that's just me.  I try to use my imagination in positive ways.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Bruce Smith's 19 sack single season record is going to be at risk this season. 

Allen puts us up and forces the other teams to pass often, Miller's sack opportunities are going to be more than any other year of his career.

If he picks up a 4-5 sack day vs a bad team like the Jets I think he hits 20.

Didn't even think of the single season record.   But let him aim to hit 23 to retake the nfl single season record to be held again by a Buffalo Bill.  

22 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I noticed he was on the bench in the 4th quarter once the game was in hand. It's smart to limit his snaps if we want him to be fresh for 20 games

LOVED Von’s usage… keep the dude fresh so he’s a monster in the postseason and gives us (at least) those three guarantee contract years of dominance.  

I have to imagine if he’s getting a sack or two per game, that very much helps the coaches convince him to only play 50-55% of snaps per game in the regular season.  

Now just stop running Allen in a blowout regular season game and we’re cooking with gas in terms of player preservation. 

22 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let's just hope this doesn't piss Von off As he was pretty clear that he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Although, it's only week 1 so I'm betting he slowly ramps up to 65-70 percent eventually.

I don’t know. I kinda like the idea of a pissed off Von Miller 🐆

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I was not surprised at all by Vons production he is still a great player the fact that he’s only on the field for 52% of the snaps is also awesome because it will lengthen his productivity

Those people who were skeptical of how much Von Miller has left in the tank apparently missed his 8 regular season games with the Rams when he had 5 sacks, 12 tackles for loss and 8 QB hits or his 4 playoff games where he had 4 sacks, 6 tackles for loss and 6 QB hits.

There were no indications that Miller was hitting any kind of a career wall last year.

It's weird that some people assumed he was winding down.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Let's just hope this doesn't piss Von off As he was pretty clear that he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Although, it's only week 1 so I'm betting he slowly ramps up to 65-70 percent eventually.

I think Miller isn't stupid.  He's seen what the Bills have done on their D line the past couple of seasons with rotating everyone in an out.  He likely wouldn't have signed here if that was an issue for him.  Conversely he may realize himself at his age, playing less isn't a terrible idea.

I do wonder though how many snaps would McD and Frazier give to Bruce Smith if he were on this team in his prime?

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, BillsFan130 said:

He seems to enjoy doing cheerleading from the sidelines pretty well ( just watched Mic'd up LOL

2 hours ago, y2zipper said:

Von is here for the postseason. I don't care what he does in games 1-17.

But he is a super competitor , so he does.
:)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Good. Keep him healthy and fresh. A 33 year old in an 18 week regular season can take a toll on his body. The more we keep his snap count low now the better he will be come playoff time

We did not sign him to get us TO the playoffs. We signed him to get us THRU the playoffs……to the trophy. I like it, save yourself for when it REALLY matters. 

It felt to me like he was out there more than 52%. I’m sure going back to play his old team in LA he wanted to see a lot of action. I’m glad he made as much noise as he did in so few opportunities. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.