Von Miller played just 35 snaps vs the Rams

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I'm sure the snap counts per game will depend on how each one goes.  Had the game been closer, he would've been on the field more the last two Ram drives.  I know he was done for the last drive, not sure about the second-to-last?

Yeah, he was playing a lot until it was 31-10. Rams ran a total of 21 plays the last 2 drives and don't think he was on the field for any of them (not sure if someone can confirm?)

Rams ran 67 plays total.

Ran 46 on offense before it became a 31-10 game.

35/46= 76% of snaps Von played up till that point.

Good news is that hopefully we blow out a lot of teams this year. No reason for him to play more than 50% of snaps vs teams like the Jets, Bears, Lions, etc.

Edit: He did play a bit on the 2nd last drive by looking at the highlights. Was in on at least some of the 3rd and 4th down plays. So that brings it down to 66% which seems more reasonable than 76.

Edited by Mikie's Bills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. I was actually surprised that Von was in there in the 4th quarter. They need to limit his snaps to the bare minimum. We need him in January. 

With Basham (2 TAK/ 1 Sack/ 1 INT/ 1 PD) and Epenessa being productive (1 TAK/ 1 ASST/ 1.5 sacks/ 1 STUFF) it makes it easier to rotate and feel like the DL will be productive.

Late in the game there was a DL package with Rosseau/ Basham/ D Jones and Epenessa and they blew up the play. Great to see the young guys improving. Miller is the cherry on top that elevates it all.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Miller needs to be coached that if he plays 50% of the snaps he can essentially play half a season. This will extend his career, which is important. But even more important uses him strategically and efficiently to maximize his output potential.

No way, I heard Von Miller is pissed at the Bills and is threatening to go play the rest of the season for the Hamilton Ticats.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I always thought Miller had a lot left in the tank but he was a fricken BEAST this week.  I didnt expect THAT.

He looked 24-years old. I like the idea of limiting his snaps to keep him fresh…that’s a luxury our DL depth gives us.

• Agree 5

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm good with Diggs playing 55-65% of snaps to.  

Especially early in the season.  To be fresher later and later in games.     

It's about our depth and then game flow. 

Believe it or not Diggs had 38 snaps (64%).

Buffalo ran out of I formation and jumbo formations quite a bit!

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. I was actually surprised that Von was in there in the 4th quarter. They need to limit his snaps to the bare minimum. We need him in January. 

The regular season is important too. If we can get that first round bye and have home advantage through the playoffs, that's huge.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

That's great - we'll get a lot more mileage out of him in the long run, and he still had a huge impact.

In general, I love the coaching philosophy w/ the D and always rotating.  I think Collinsworth said we do that more than any other team in the league, and I think it works.  Especially w/ our depth.

Non-related note:  did anyone notice how huge Rousseau is now?  He must have put on 20 lbs.

Yes, and notice how much more lean Basham looks?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I recall a lot of people saying it would be a waste of his contract and he wouldn't do much if he wasn't on the field for 80%+ of the snaps.  If this is the impact he has with 53%, I'm more than happy with saving his body at his age for the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, mannc said:

He looked 24-years old. I like the idea of limiting his snaps to keep him fresh…that’s a luxury our DL depth gives us.

I kept going "whoa who is that zippy guy blowing things up, wait that's Von?!?"  He looked a decade younger out there.

• Like (+1) 2

I was going to write in that trade thread this but after watching that RE interview I was going to compare von being here to a lot like Ware for the Broncos. After that interview I Def feel that. He had a great post season that year. He was a little older and more at the end of his career though but he had a big impact that super bowl season for the Broncos.

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Basham is looking fast.  I also noticed he has a high motor and never gives up on plays.  I saw him way down field often after pass completions.

I really like his energy.

It does look like Beane and McDermott finally got the DL they wanted.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The stat line doesn't tell the whole story either.  I remember a play where Miller was chasing down Stafford who had bailed out of the pocket and was running for his life to his left, and Stafford threw the football into the dirt so fast you would have thought there was a tarantula on it. 

That play doesn't make it onto the stat sheet but was another play that Miller blew up.

That play showed me something I didn't understand, which is that Miller linebacker-quality straight-ahead footspeed.   There aren't many defensive linemen who run like that. 

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

The regular season is important too. If we can get that first round bye and have home advantage through the playoffs, that's huge.

I was talking a neighbor this morning who's a big Pats fan, but appreciates what the Bills are doing.   He said exactly the same thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Stafford isn't a great scrambler by any means, but I was still really impressed with how Basham chased him down on that one play and tackled him on the sidelines a yard behind the line of scrimmage for a sack. All effort.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

No way, I heard Von Miller is pissed at the Bills and is threatening to go play the rest of the season for the Hamilton Ticats.

The stupidest name ever. It's like the Buffalo William Bills. The Tampa Bay Buccaneer Pirates. The New England Cheating Patriots. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let's just hope this doesn't piss Von off As he was pretty clear that he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Although, it's only week 1 so I'm betting he slowly ramps up to 65-70 percent eventually.

If this continues, I’d be pissed if I was Miller.  Talent level needs to be factored into the rotation concept.  If not, McD and Frazier are going to have an unhappy player on their hands. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let's just hope this doesn't piss Von off As he was pretty clear that he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Although, it's only week 1 so I'm betting he slowly ramps up to 65-70 percent eventually.

I highly doubt this will be an issue if his numbers stay as good as they were in game #1.  Arguably a fresher Von later in the season will terrorize opposing o lines.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.