Von Miller played just 35 snaps vs the Rams

Inigo Montoya

35 snaps works out to 52% of the defensive snaps that night.  That makes Miller's stat line even more impressive;

4 total tackles

4 solo tackles

3 tackles for loss

2 sacks

It's an amazing amount of production for just 52% of the defensive snaps.  Contrast this with Miller's usage last season, when playing with the Broncos he had a 76% snap count, and when he went to the Rams he was on the field for 79% of their defensive snaps.  

If Frazier can continue to keep Miller at around 50% of defensive snaps it should increase Von's longevity and let him roll into the playoffs with a lot of gas left in his tank.  This D-Line rotation is going to eat all year and being able to run a fresh Von Miller out onto the field in the 4th quarter is going to be huge for this defense.  

• Like (+1) 23
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 13

That's great - we'll get a lot more mileage out of him in the long run, and he still had a huge impact.

In general, I love the coaching philosophy w/ the D and always rotating.  I think Collinsworth said we do that more than any other team in the league, and I think it works.  Especially w/ our depth.

Non-related note:  did anyone notice how huge Rousseau is now?  He must have put on 20 lbs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

35 snaps works out to 52% of the defensive snaps that night.  That makes Miller's stat line even more impressive;

4 total tackles

4 solo tackles

3 tackles for loss

2 sacks

It's an amazing amount of production for just 52% of the defensive snaps.  Contrast this with Miller's usage last season, when playing with the Broncos he had a 76% snap count, and when he went to the Rams he was on the field for 79% of their defensive snaps.  

If Frazier can continue to keep Miller at around 50% of defensive snaps it should increase Von's longevity and let him roll into the playoffs with a lot of gas left in his tank.  This D-Line rotation is going to eat all year and being able to run a fresh Von Miller out onto the field in the 4th quarter is going to be huge for this defense.  

Keeping Miller fresh is a key.

It also allows guys like Epenessa and Basham to get reps and continue to develop and earn time.

Basham was on the field for only 26 snaps (39%).

2 TAK/  1 Sack/ 1 INT  is pretty impressive for 26 snaps...

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I always thought Miller had a lot left in the tank but he was a fricken BEAST this week.  I didnt expect THAT.

a caller on WGR yesterday morning referred to him as (I hoping I get this right) a “homicidal leopard in a Bills uniform” 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Let's just hope this doesn't piss Von off As he was pretty clear that he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Although, it's only week 1 so I'm betting he slowly ramps up to 65-70 percent eventually.

You might be right BillsRan130, but I hope 33 year old Von Miller is smart and realizes that if he gets that kind of stat line playing half the snaps and ends up adding a few more productive seasons to his career, that's a pretty good situation for him to be in. 

The Bills' brain trust also has a vested interest in keeping him productive over the long term with the contract they gave him.  Unless it's playoff time, I would expect Von to hover right around that 50% snap count range.

• Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let's just hope this doesn't piss Von off As he was pretty clear that he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Although, it's only week 1 so I'm betting he slowly ramps up to 65-70 percent eventually.

piss him off? meh... Von wants to feel fresh out there. Rams worked the dude to death.

Von is smiling right now. we are not talking about a young tike ya know? lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

The stat line doesn't tell the whole story either.  I remember a play where Miller was chasing down Stafford who had bailed out of the pocket and was running for his life to his left.  Miller was closing in and Stafford threw the football into the dirt so fast you'd have thought there was a tarantula on it. 

That play doesn't make it onto the stat sheet but was another play that Miller blew up.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Eventually = post season Imo.  Not before

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The stat line doesn't tell the whole story either.  I remember a play where Miller was chasing down Stafford who had bailed out of the pocket and was running for his life to his left, and Stafford threw the football into the dirt so fast you would have thought there was a tarantula on it. 

That play doesn't make it onto the stat sheet but was another play that Miller blew up.

You could feel that the entire game too. You could just tell Stafford felt rushed in the pocket almost all game long even when he had time

• Like (+1) 2

That's how we roll...keep guys fresh throughout the year...big part of why the Bills are amongst the best in the NFL year in and year out at keeping guys healthy and off the injury reports.

Sports science has been embraced by Beane and McDermott since the start and it has paid off huge dividends.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

4 total tackles

4 solo tackles

3 tackles for loss

2 sacks

He can take plays off and work as a defense assistant.

40 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Keeping Miller fresh is a key.

It also allows guys like Epenessa and Basham to get reps and continue to develop and earn time.

Basham was on the field for only 26 snaps (39%).

2 TAK/  1 Sack/ 1 INT  is pretty impressive for 26 snaps...

Agreed. I was actually surprised that Von was in there in the 4th quarter. They need to limit his snaps to the bare minimum. We need him in January. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Eventually = post season Imo.  Not before

Ya sounds about right 

36 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

piss him off? meh... Von wants to feel fresh out there. Rams worked the dude to death.

Von is smiling right now. we are not talking about a young tike ya know? lol

I am just basing off what he was saying after he signed with the bills

He said he wants to be on the field as much as possible as he can't help the team on the sidelines. (I am paraphrasing but something along those lines)

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.