Bills sign Jordan Poyer to new deal with increased incentives, continue to work toward extension

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I saw this posted three minutes ago and was like “let me hustle over to TSW to post the good news”. But as the website was loading, I thought “nah…YOLO already posted it.”

Sure enough.

Fastest hands in the East.

@YoloinOhiomultitasks during  high level business meetings! 
giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952acf1e14fc604e20f97

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

I still honestly believe that Benford is Poyer's replacement, and all we are watching him for the weeks until Tre is ready to go is his audition.   All of the tea leaves to me are pointing in this direction.   I realize that Poyer is a captain (along with 8 other teammates), but there is a true dividing line of "core talent" and "other talent".   

THIS IS THE WAY.   THIS IS THE PROCESS.

Edited by Turf Toejam 34
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm pretty sure It IS taxed in the state where it's earned.   It's treated as earned in 17 paychecks, 8 or 9 at home and 8 or 9 at home.  As I understand it, Bills players pay NYS income on half their income.  I know this because I was a practicing lawyer and I was a partner in a firm that did work in several states.  Every year I had to pay state income tax in each of those states, depending on the proportion of income our firm had in each state and without regard to the fact that I lived in only one of those states.   Thus, I'm pretty sure that each of the Bills will pay California income tax on 1/17th of their income for the privilege of having trounced the Rams the other night.  

I don't think their residence matters when they're playing.   It matters when they're retired.  

You are correct.  Players pay tax to the state that they play in that week.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It is simply amazing how this franchise seems to do everything right.  

I don't think they're keeping Poyer.  But Beane knows how valuable he is, and he knows that having Poyer unhappy this season is not good for the team.  So, find a way to make him happy, a short-term deal that makes long-term cap sense.   

And it gives Rosenhaus a win for his client - puts money in his pocket in the short-term and preserves the opportunity for a big-payday for his client next season.  Or, frankly, for his client to decide that he's willing to take less to stay in Buffalo. 

It's just a perfect solution.   

And, it's one more thing that points to a possible deal, sometime, to keep Edmunds.  Knox is signed, Poyer is good for the short-term.  There may be room to pay Edmunds nicely and keep him in the middle. 

Agree with everything but Edmunds.  Unless he takes a team friendly deal, with Oliver coming up and more important I’m not sure there is the cash for Edmunds (also Davis soon). 

1 hour ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

I still honestly believe that Benford is Poyer's replacement, and all we are watching him for the weeks until Tre is ready to go is his audition.   All of the tea leaves to me are pointing in this direction.   I realize that Poyer is a captain (along with 8 other teammates), but there is a true dividing line of "core talent" and "other talent".   

that’s an interesting take.  I could see Poyer not being back due to cap issues, but not sure Benford is the replacement.  Interesting thought though…

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Exactly.   In the simplest of terms, he will look at what he can get in the market and what the Bills will give him.   There will be a delta.  His agent will calculate for him how much money he will have when he retires.   By the end of this season, his total career earnings will be around $34 million.  Lose half in taxes, that's $17 million.   With the investment earnings, he has been able to spend maybe $1 million a year for the last eight years and still have $15 million banked, maybe better than that.  Say he can get a $15 million all-deal from the Bills next season, and $25 million someplace else.   After tax, that's eight or ten versus 12 or 15.    Maybe a net $10 million difference.   Maybe the two offers are twice that, so it's a net $20 million difference.  

Point is, that he's looking at retiring with $30 million or perhaps as much as $50 million.  Pretty big difference.   I mean, he can live very, very nicely on $30 million, because even spending $1 million a year, which is pretty hard to do, his net worth is going to grow a lot over his retirement.   But it's one thing for Josh, at his level, to give up $20 million, it's a different thing at Poyer's level.   It'll be his choice, but I think he's gone.  

I haven't done it because I don't have it but I swear I could spend a million in a year pretty easily to be honest. And I don't lead their lifestyle. I could do it. I would love to do it lol.

46 minutes ago, SBbeliever said:

Now watch what happens with Edmunds - -

Nothing. Say Bye!

5 hours ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

Why would our starting CB be expected to be our S? We have 2 back up safeties currently. Poyer will either sign a 2 year deal and stay. Or be replaced by Johnson or Hamlin. And possibly a mid round draft choice next year.  

18 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Mrs Poyer got her new Lamborghini, how nice....

Why do some still want OBJ?  There was just talk about this deal preventing distraction and you want to bring in a major “Me” guy?

Who do you want to sit to give OBJ snaps? By the time he’s healthy enuff to play, the season and touches should be established. You want to bring in that fool to demand snaps and touches?

9 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Why do some still want OBJ?  There was just talk about this deal preventing distraction and you want to bring in a major “Me” guy?

Who do you want to sit to give OBJ snaps? By the time he’s healthy enuff to play, the season and touches should be established. You want to bring in that fool to demand snaps and touches?

By all accounts, he's been a fine teammate. Diggs, Davis, and OBJ in the same formation would be great to have. It would have to be the right deal at the right time.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

By all accounts, he's been a fine teammate. Diggs, Davis, and OBJ in the same formation would be great to have. It would have to be the right deal at the right time.

Agree with the teammate comment, but unless something unfortunate happens I believe in the old saying "You dance with who brung ya". If something happens though and OBJ is healthy,  I'm all for bringing him in (on the right deal of course).

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Agree with everything but Edmunds.  Unless he takes a team friendly deal, with Oliver coming up and more important I’m not sure there is the cash for Edmunds (also Davis soon). 

that’s an interesting take.  I could see Poyer not being back due to cap issues, but not sure Benford is the replacement.  Interesting thought though…

Yeah, I think they are testing out if Bernard can do the job.  Benford is a CB, not a free safety.  J. Johnson is the future for FS.

Oliver will get paid and won’t be cheap.  This was a nice gesture by Beane and strategic to keep Poyer happy.  If Poyer wins a ring, he is even more marketable around the league.

I’d love to keep the guy, and he is one of the absolute best at his position, but his age will preclude when we need the $ for Oliver and Davis.

I don’t want to think about the Bills having a team with Hyde and Poyer, but it’s inevitable in 1-2 years.

For now, it’s just enjoying the ride for this team, this year.  We’ll continue to be a top team, not necessarily the Pats of old, but the histories of the Packs, Steelers, and Ravens.  They are in the January dance each year.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Why do some still want OBJ?

I knew Von was good. But, I had no idea he could make that kind of difference. If Beane figures out a logical contract, it’s okay. I’ve learned to trust Beane—GOAT Bills GM (Polian didn’t deal with FA)

Edited by Since1981

i love Poyer,  i have zero issue with him wanting to get paid,  he deserves it.   id love to keep him around as long as possible,  but you just cant overpay for an older safety anymore in this league.   team friendly deal so u can win,  sign me up.   overpay and hurt the team in the process,  pass.    nothing against Po,  hes a dog no doubt about it,  its not just about him though.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If anyone had any doubt left, and honestly you should not have...Beane is the best GM in the NFL right now, and I don't think its even up for debate anymore.  This is just a class act move and show of total respect and appreciation for his players.  This is the kind of stuff that makes players want to come here, and I mean that seriously.  You don't see a lot of GM's do this kind of thing, especially for players who are 31.  

This is a fantastic move for the team, Poyer, and the commitment to the pursuit of a championship.  I could not love this move more to be honest.  It's a win win for everyone and Jordan has more than earned this and deserves this opportunity.  

It's also a clever way of saying if you don't hit the incentives mark, you aren't going to get the contract you want.

Beane just raised the bar for Poyer to get his next deal.

• Agree 1

I see a lot of folks thinking this is a big deal for Poyer. But I don't see it. I think Beane threw a bone his way to let Poyer save face after saying he wanted to be taken care of. Of course, I could be very (Actually, I hope I am) wrong. But this looks to me like, "I cannot give you what you want. So, here is a small, almost meaningless, parting gift." 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why would our starting CB be expected to be our S? We have 2 back up safeties currently. Poyer will either sign a 2 year deal and stay. Or be replaced by Johnson or Hamlin. And possibly a mid round draft choice next year.  

Lots of people (podcasters and analysts) who study the Bills think Benford could transition to a high level Safety.  

That’s not really a knock on him, just more of a roster view that tries to find a way to get him on the field when CB is so loaded. 

When Tre comes back, you have Tre and Dane vs Kaiir.   Maybe Benford is Richard Sherman, but Dane has proven to be a solid corner and Elam has a high ceiling and great work ethic.   Benford will have to be elite and leave no question to win that battle.

Next year, Poyer and Johnson are both FA’s.  That leaves us with Hyde and Hamlin under contract. 

Safety seems like a logical off-season transition for Benford. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

Huh? Benford is a CB not a safety.

Where do people come up with this silliness?

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Lots of people (podcasters and analysts) who study the Bills think Benford could transition to a high level Safety.  

That’s not really a knock on him, just more of a roster view that tries to find a way to get him on the field when CB is so loaded. 

When Tre comes back, you have Tre and Dane vs Kaiir.   Maybe Benford is Richard Sherman, but Dane has proven to be a solid corner and Elam has a high ceiling and great work ethic.   Benford will have to be elite and leave no question to win that battle.

Next year, Poyer and Johnson are both FA’s.  That leaves us with Hyde and Hamlin under contract. 

No it doesn't.

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Appreciate your insight. Just seems Johnson although FA would be pretty easy to resign if he’s in Bills plans. He and Hamlin would have 2-4 years in position as back ups. While Benford may be moved to safety, they would already have him in that spot if it was most beneficial to the team. Would seem quite a jump from never playing the position before imho. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.