Bills sign Jordan Poyer to new deal with increased incentives, continue to work toward extension

YoloinOhio

50 minutes ago, eball said:

Not to mention the fact that the Bills don’t have a 2nd string OL that would start for many other teams.  Huge oversight by Beane.

I mean it was not like in preseason OLine rankings the Bills were considered top 5 and were considered to have top depth, but keep believing what you want.  

Look around the league at OLine depth and you might understand why Beane is able to consistently trade off OLine depth - because they accumulate some of the best depth across the league.  You may hate Hart, but as a #4 guard he is excellent depth.

I think this is you not really getting the lack of OLine talent in the league.  Hart, Van Roten, Quisenberry have all been starters even up to last year in the league - that is something almost no other team has across the league.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Poyer does whatever he needs to.  There was a play where they pulled a defense lineman and Poyer engaged offense lineman while lineman rushed around end.  Offense lineman looked at Poyer "Who do you think you are?" and Poyer pushed him further into pocket.  I was in a bar and another patron asked who that LB was and I told him it was our starting safety.  His response: "A safety?"

OF the subject, but I was impressed over and over Thursday night how physical the Bills were.  They were physically dominant, and this play you're talking about, a play I don't recall, is one more example of it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Exactly.   In the simplest of terms, he will look at what he can get in the market and what the Bills will give him.   There will be a delta.  His agent will calculate for him how much money he will have when he retires.   By the end of this season, his total career earnings will be around $34 million.  Lose half in taxes, that's $17 million.   With the investment earnings, he has been able to spend maybe $1 million a year for the last eight years and still have $15 million banked, maybe better than that.  Say he can get a $15 million all-deal from the Bills next season, and $25 million someplace else.   After tax, that's eight or ten versus 12 or 15.    Maybe a net $10 million difference.   Maybe the two offers are twice that, so it's a net $20 million difference.  

Point is, that he's looking at retiring with $30 million or perhaps as much as $50 million.  Pretty big difference.   I mean, he can live very, very nicely on $30 million, because even spending $1 million a year, which is pretty hard to do, his net worth is going to grow a lot over his retirement.   But it's one thing for Josh, at his level, to give up $20 million, it's a different thing at Poyer's level.   It'll be his choice, but I think he's gone.  

I'd just like to point out in that "even spending $1M a year, which is pretty hard to do"....a lot of these guys, even if they don't come from nothing like McKenzie, they come from "not much"...I think Poyer has said his family worked with juveniles, or in corrections?  His brother had a tryout in Canadian football, dunno if that went anywhere.  His wife's family is from a tiny hamlet in the Adirondacks, I mean, less than 500 people, 2 hrs from anywhere much.

So one way money gets spent is helping family and friends that they legit love and want to help.   House here, car there, business loan someplace else, bring the whole family on an all-expenses vacation, pay for your cousin's wedding.  It's probably easier than you think for them to spend a few million a year.

13 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agreed. Kinda feels like dinner and a last night together with a girlfriend before you break up with her.

This is fun and all, and I have to admit I like comments like this, but it's really demeaning to everyone involved.  

This isn't Beane somehow seducing Poyer in order to have one more great night in the sack.  Rosenhaus is much smarter than that.   He's not going to set his client up to be screwed, metaphorically speaking.  

No, this is Beane and Rosenhaus and Poyer having had serious discussions about how much the Bills value Poyer and how much they think they can prudently spend on him.   Poyer, for now, places a higher value on himself, in dollar terms.   They've had frank conversations about this.   And Beane has said that the Bills simply are not prepared today to make the cap commitment that Poyer is looking for.   So both sides understand that today, there won't be a long-term deal.   But the Bills also wanted to say to Poyer that they agree that he's really good and important to the franchise and they want to be sure, at least for this season, he gets paid what he's worth.  

Poyer won't wake up some morning next February and think he got screwed.   He'll either be engaged to get into a long-term relationship with the Bills, or he'll look back on his former lover with affection and move on to someone who values him more.  

The deal is the Bills doing the right thing by the guy as everyone sees how this plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Poyer does whatever he needs to.  There was a play where they pulled a defense lineman and Poyer engaged offense lineman while lineman rushed around end.  Offense lineman looked at Poyer "Who do you think you are?" and Poyer pushed him further into pocket.  I was in a bar and another patron asked who that LB was and I told him it was our starting safety.  His response: "A safety?"

LOL.

Yeah, that's where "they like Jaquon Johnson" falls short.  He can play safety in the NFL.  He can not do the things that Poyer can do.  Dawson Knox, let alone an OLman, can put Jaquon on his ass.  When Poyer hits someone, he knows he's been hit.  Now maybe that's partly a learning curve and a mental attitude, IDK

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Now if Teflon Tom can give him his marriage counselor's phone number it will be perfect.

I think the fact that Bush said she was only going to be quiet a little longer then 🦗🦗 says they may have less need than some think, despite the fact that she's "A Lot" on Insta and Twitter.

But I don't think she's too impressed by this, actually

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I'd just like to point out in that "even spending $1M a year, which is pretty hard to do"....a lot of these guys, even if they don't come from nothing like McKenzie, they come from "not much"...I think Poyer has said his family worked with juveniles, or in corrections?  His brother had a tryout in Canadian football, dunno if that went anywhere.  His wife's family is from a tiny hamlet in the Adirondacks, I mean, less than 500 people, 2 hrs from anywhere much.

So one way money gets spent is helping family and friends that they legit love and want to help.   House here, car there, business loan someplace else, bring the whole family on an all-expenses vacation, pay for your cousin's wedding.  It's probably easier than you think for them to spend a few million a year.

You're right.   And I didn't minimize that, I just didn't want to get into that whole subject.   It varies dramatically from player to player.   Allen and Knox seem not to do anything at all for their families, some other guys seem to need to do a lot.   But even in those situations, all they're doing is buying Mom a house - not a mansion, just a nice house, and some income assistance, so the amount of extended family support really varies.   

And to your point, that's exactly why how much they start with may matter.   Momma Diggs looks like she's doing just fine, thank you, because she's got two boys worth $100 million and they can give her more or less whatever she wants.   When it's one with $50 or $30, it can be a lot different.   But that's why I started out saying the agent helps a lot here, because the agent shows a guy like Poyer where he'll be financially at the end of his career and will help Poyer figure out how much money he needs to live on, including how much he needs for extended family support.  

However, none of that matters to the Bills.   The Bills are just going to tell him next February how much they're willing to commit to him, and Poyer will have to decide if the difference between what the Bills are offering and what other teams are offering is such that he needs to take the other offer to meet his financial needs.   The Bills will not overspend on Poyer because he wants to buy his mother a house in southern California overlooking the ocean.  

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

No, this is Beane and Rosenhaus and Poyer having had serious discussions about how much the Bills value Poyer and how much they think they can prudently spend on him.   Poyer, for now, places a higher value on himself, in dollar terms.   They've had frank conversations about this.   And Beane has said that the Bills simply are not prepared today to make the cap commitment that Poyer is looking for.   So both sides understand that today, there won't be a long-term deal.   But the Bills also wanted to say to Poyer that they agree that he's really good and important to the franchise and they want to be sure, at least for this season, he gets paid what he's worth.  

Maybe a better way to look at this is this way:

They've had talks.  Rosenhaus said Poyer is worth $x million a year for four years.   

Bills said well, you might be a little high, but we more or less agree that's how much he's worth.   However, from our point of view, we aren't in a position today to commit that kind of money.   But if we were, Jordan would get some of the money from that four-year deal this season.   If he plays this year and leaves the Bills, he will have lost the opportunity for Jordan to earn that portion that he would have gotten this year.   That's not fair to him, so what we're going to do is give him something like the salary boost he would have seen this season if we could agree now on a long-term deal.   

Looked at that way, it isn't a sweetener, or a dinner on their last night out.   It's just being fair about how much he's worth on a season by season basis, and the Bills have agreed that he's being underpaid on his current contract. 

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I believe that if we sign Odell after a certain date we can differ his money to 2023

While the signing of OBJ has some panache sound to it I highly doubt that it is really on Beane’s radar.  Diggs and Davis are an exceptional #1 & #2 who have chemistry with Josh.  Crowder, less the one interception play, looked solid. Li’ Dirty has chemistry with Josh. Shakir has flashed and The Bills will likely find him touches as the season goes on. The Bills roster is deep and OBJ would simply be another mouth to feed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I know.

ds j

But Thursday night convinced me even more that we undervalue Edmunds.  Hyde said something about with the new pass rush, the safeties can wait longer before committing, and if I remember correctly he also made some oblique comment about not having to worry much about the stuff in front of them.   I heard that as a reference to Edmunds just occupying that space.   

Then I watched Baldy's video review of some of the plays, and he was talking about how Stafford was using his eyes to try to stick Edmunds on the underneath receiver to give himself room to get over Edmunds to throw to Kupp behind him.  Stafford actually was throwing no-look passes, trying to keep Edmunds shallow.  One was incomplete, the second was Poyer's interception.  The point is that you could see that the Rams were forced into low probability throws, simply because they had to account for Edmunds.   That's the kind of stuff that is obvious to coaches and GMs but not to us.   I don't study the all-22s in such detail to figure out that's what's going on, but as I listen to others I'm becoming more and more convinced that Edmunds is much bigger factor in this defense than I can see just watching the games.  

Very interesting take. Given the size, arm length, and his ability to cover ground, I can see this for sure. 

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe a better way to look at this is this way:

They've had talks.  Rosenhaus said Poyer is worth $x million a year for four years.   

Bills said well, you might be a little high, but we more or less agree that's how much he's worth.   However, from our point of view, we aren't in a position today to commit that kind of money.   But if we were, Jordan would get some of the money from that four-year deal this season.   If he plays this year and leaves the Bills, he will have lost the opportunity for Jordan to earn that portion that he would have gotten this year.   That's not fair to him, so what we're going to do is give him something like the salary boost he would have seen this season if we could agree now on a long-term deal.   

Looked at that way, it isn't a sweetener, or a dinner on their last night out.   It's just being fair about how much he's worth on a season by season basis, and the Bills have agreed that he's being underpaid on his current contract. 

The interesting thing about offering him $2M incentives, is that depending upon how the NFL classes them ("unlikely to be earned"), most of that may count against next year's cap but still be entirely feasible for Poyer to achieve this season

Beane is very clever with this.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I saw this posted three minutes ago and was like “let me hustle over to TSW to post the good news”. But as the website was loading, I thought “nah…YOLO already posted it.”

Sure enough.

Fastest hands in the East.

That's what she said.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.