All 22 game analysis of how the Bill’s run game is different under Kromer and Dorsey - Heavy borrowing from Shanahan

BuffaloBill

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's partly on the OC too, though. How many times last year did we see a bunch of long developing plays even when the OL couldn't pass block for more than 3 seconds? Dorsey comes in and his first day on the job we're neutralizing the best defensive player of a generation with the quick passing game and well-schemed run game, and only taking deep shots at the right moments. I think Dorsey being a former QB just gets it in a way Daboll never did.

It’s been one game lmao

It will be interesting to see how the Giants do. I actually am of the opinion that Daboll was good and Dorsey is even better. 

One thing is for sure Dorsey coached/called an excellent game. That 3rd and 1 TD play was just outsmarting the other team. It's one thing to outsmart a team like the Lions but to make fools out of the Rams is impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s been one game lmao

Yeah and in that one game I saw Dorsey do things that Daboll never did. I saw a real multiple NFL offense that understood how to put its core players in favorable situations. I promise under Dorsey we will never have a game like 9-6 Jacksonville with 52 called passes to 9 called runs (which is really an unbelievable game script when you think about it).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah and in that one game I saw Dorsey do things that Daboll never did. I saw a real multiple NFL offense that understood how to put its core players in favorable situations. I promise under Dorsey we will never have a game like 9-6 Jacksonville with 52 called passes to 9 called runs (which is really an unbelievable game script when you think about it).

If Dorsey spends 4 years here as OC he will have a clunker somewhere along the line. They all do. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Dorsey spends 4 years here as OC he will have a clunker somewhere along the line. They all do. 

There's a difference between calling a clunker and losing all common sense. My take is that Daboll never wanted to commit to running the ball and that he and McDermott never saw eye to eye on that point. Against the Rams you saw how that commitment kept the defense off balance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

There's a difference between calling a clunker and losing all common sense. My take is that Daboll never wanted to commit to running the ball and that he and McDermott never saw eye to eye on that point. Against the Rams you saw how that commitment kept the defense off balance.

Our OL was ass in the Jacksonville game.

I will reiterate that it’s one game.

But I think Kromer is a massive upgrade in general.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That's the nature of the game. You always try to draw up a great game plan. Sometimes an opposing team is just going to have a better one. Sometimes the opposing team just has great talent too.

13 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks @BuffaloBillfor posting this and please keep them coming.

These threads are why this board is so great!

Yes, there is always a game within the game. Love it when fans recognize it and post it here. Kromer's value as a coach is going to be noticed as the year progresses. He's been around for a long time and his history of success is impressive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, notwoz said:

Some advice or observations, please.

I enjoy the Cover 1 videos but wonder if subscribing to its "premium content" is worth it. It's $57 a year, which is not a burdensome amount. But if the site is more sizzle than steak, that $57 might be better spent at the liquor store.

Thoughts?

personally I wouldn’t pay for a fanboy site 

besides people post some of his crap here. 

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This was a good analysis but entirely focused on the good stuff.   But the run game Thursday was a mixed bag.  Why no analysis of the plays that didn’t work?   

The video felt a little like a Bills PR production - all optimistic and laudatory- without any balance.

ergo Fan boy blog 

——————-
PS to the  Cover 1 fanboys 

get over it FFS 

he deserves criticism. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This may very well be the case.  Dabol knew he had something special in JA and wanted to ride this.  The problem in my opinion is that JA can’t over the long term continue to take the pounding from the run game.  It will impact him physically at some point. 

21 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I love watching film study like this. It's really well explained and helps me enjoy watching the big uglies on the OL and DL during the game.

I was not a huge fan of Saffold or Gilliam. I had no idea Saffold was so fast out of his stance, very quick, like Incognito was. Gilliam is a good motion FB in blocking. Almost every big gain by a RB the past few games has Gilliam in the mix. I'm not saying he is Sam Gash, but he is a solid run blocker. Study like this also shows Dawkins is very strong and fairly nimble.

Knox has some work to do in run blocking still, but I think that part of his game will be better coached now.

I just wish the Bills had a faster RB who could hit those big holes a little faster. Moss is too slow to take advantage. Singletary has just enough juice to get good yards, but not really take advantage of these good blocks. Hopefully Cook gets his act together because he does have speed to take advantage of these schemes and the holes being made.

Just read this whole thread and RCR seems the only one to touch on Cook and the threat of his speed becoming the cherry on top to this rushing attack.

Every year at the beginning of the season, there are silly over reactions about plays, players and coaches. This year, I see the least of these I think I’ve ever seen on here. Yes, we have a great team which would lead to it. But, we also look prepared right out of the gate, in a level we aren’t used to.

This video was great as it shows the beginning of the process while acknowledging there is still work to be done. Gunner Bill was spot on about the elevation of O line talent, for me it’s Saffold and Brown especially. 
    When we are halfway through this season and this line is comfortable with these blocking assignments AND hopefully Cook is comfortably carrying and protecting the ball at this level…..

The speed he provides as well as shiftiness to maybe creat his own undesigned cutback lanes……🙏🤯🔥🦬

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

personally I wouldn’t pay for a fanboy site 

besides people post some of his crap here. 

ergo Fan boy blog 

I haven’t paid for their extra content, and the video posted isn’t of the critical nature. But they routinely do point out the negative, and the plays that didn’t work when dissecting film. Usually that’s in their more complete game analysis. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Just read this whole thread and RCR seems the only one to touch on Cook and the threat of his speed becoming the cherry on top to this rushing attack.

Every year at the beginning of the season, there are silly over reactions about plays, players and coaches. This year, I see the least of these I think I’ve ever seen on here. Yes, we have a great team which would lead to it. But, we also look prepared right out of the gate, in a level we aren’t used to.

This video was great as it shows the beginning of the process while acknowledging there is still work to be done. Gunner Bill was spot on about the elevation of O line talent, for me it’s Saffold and Brown especially. 
    When we are halfway through this season and this line is comfortable with these blocking assignments AND hopefully Cook is comfortably carrying and protecting the ball at this level…..

The speed he provides as well as shiftiness to maybe creat his own undesigned cutback lanes……🙏🤯🔥🦬

Thanks and I agree. This review and Baldy's breakdowns showed some really excellent run blocking concepts and pretty good execution. My guy Bates, and Knox have some work to do, but Bates drew Aaron Donald a lot, so tough draw. Brown and Saffold looked the part.

Singletary has just enough speed to get to the holes that are being created, but he lacks the speed to exploit them, he also rarely cuts back. Moss is just a step too slow. It doesn't even have to be some all star RB to make more out of these schemes. A guy like Mike Gilislee would exploit those cut back lanes, and Karlos Williams had the direct ahead speed and processing to exploit them too.

Cook is the guy on the roster that could elevate the run game and make wow plays in the run game. He has to secure the ball. I wish McDermott had gone right back to him early on and help rebuild his confidence. It's one criticism I have about McDermott. He can hold a grudge against Offensive players like no one's business. These skill guys need a chance to redeem themselves and erase a bad play. McKenzie had that opportunity, I wish Cook had too.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I  think this is a fair statement.

It seemed clear to me from McDermott's interviews that the lack of a run game was a point of contention between he and Daboll.

To those saying "it's only one week," well that's true.

I expect the Bills run game to improve as the season progresses.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If our Dorsey and our offense perform this well all year, we’ll be extremely fortunate to get him back as OC for even a second year. 

Granted it’s only week 1, but Dorsey is already very well respected. A strong year even just 1 year and he’s already gonna be mentioned as a HC candidate. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness the Bills have wanted to be an outside zone running team since McDermott arrived. They have tried pretty much every year to be that. I just think they have made some head scratching decisions in terms of the type of personnel they have brought in (especially offensive line but to an extent running back too) to achieve that. 

Remember McDermott's first offensive coordinator hire was Rick Dennison. He is from the Mike Shanahan tree. He was Gary Kubiak's offensive coordinator. He wanted that "Shanahan" style of run game. He has tried to get Daboll to run it too. I'm not sure Daboll ever really thought it meshed with the passing game he wanted to run, but also they kept bringing in lumbering olinemen like Quinton Spain and Jon Feliciano who are much more suited to power football than the sort of blocking techniques you need to use for the outside zone. Even Daryl Williams is not really a fit for that style. This offseason they tried again with Kromer - who while he has run about every scheme going during his NFL career worked for McVay who is a Shanahan disciple - and I think this time with Saffold, Bates and Brown they have a more suitable set of blockers to make it work. They started last season as primarily an outside zone team and ended it with mainly gap runs because they couldn't get anything going zone blocking. 

100%. There has been a scheme fit and personnel fit variance on the OL. It's one of the few pages where the GM and coaching staff have not meshed as well as they could and it has led to some odd personnel decisions on the OL IMO.

Bates and Brown are both lighter on their feet than guys like Feliciano/ Boettger and Ford. Both can pull and move. That should help with outside zone blocking concepts. This is one of the reasons I was so vocally worried about how they were handing Bates. It also makes me realize just how good Dawkins is, because he can adjust to any scheme and be a (+) blocker. Saffold is more of a mauler, but wow he is quick out of his stance.

Will be interesting to see how these concepts match up with different types of defensive fronts and packages, and how much improvement we can see from the OL and other blockers as it becomes the norm.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

If our Dorsey and our offense perform this well all year, we’ll be extremely fortunate to get him back as OC for even a second year. 

Granted it’s only week 1, but Dorsey is already very well respected. A strong year even just 1 year and he’s already gonna be mentioned as a HC candidate. 

Very much agreed. Him being 1 and done as OC because he gets a HC job is very possible IMO. The best way to keep him? Make the Superbowl. Because teams don't like waiting that extra fortnight.

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/10/2022 at 11:23 AM, Big Turk said:

It's going to take a few weeks at least to get Kromer's scheme down properly...imagine if we could now also run the way we did the last time he was here with Gillislee running for 50-60 yard TDs seemingly every game??

A nice reference to the TBD legend, Mike Gillislee. Well played.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.