All 22 game analysis of how the Bill’s run game is different under Kromer and Dorsey - Heavy borrowing from Shanahan

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Just read this whole thread and RCR seems the only one to touch on Cook and the threat of his speed becoming the cherry on top to this rushing attack.

Every year at the beginning of the season, there are silly over reactions about plays, players and coaches. This year, I see the least of these I think I’ve ever seen on here. Yes, we have a great team which would lead to it. But, we also look prepared right out of the gate, in a level we aren’t used to.

This video was great as it shows the beginning of the process while acknowledging there is still work to be done. Gunner Bill was spot on about the elevation of O line talent, for me it’s Saffold and Brown especially. 
    When we are halfway through this season and this line is comfortable with these blocking assignments AND hopefully Cook is comfortably carrying and protecting the ball at this level…..

The speed he provides as well as shiftiness to maybe creat his own undesigned cutback lanes……🙏🤯🔥🦬

In most of the highlight plays I've seen, it looks like Brown had a very good game.  The one "mistake" I saw was not holding a block when he pulled on a JA run (it's in the Baldy breakdown thread). While the total yardage by the RBs was not significant, there were many plays that came very close to bigger gains.  They should only get better.

On 9/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, JerseyBills said:

We looked Wayyy more physical on both lines compared to last year

That was my takeaway - the ability to be physical on offense now as well as defense.  And to know at any point we can go greatest show on turf on you as well.

The execution was also impressive for just the first game.  As others have mentioned the unit should just get better as the season goes on

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

In most of the highlight plays I've seen, it looks like Brown had a very good game.  The one "mistake" I saw was not holding a block when he pulled on a JA run (it's in the Baldy breakdown thread). While the total yardage by the RBs was not significant, there were many plays that came very close to bigger gains.  They should only get better.

I remember that play to the left side. It's a common mistake I see in football... a blocker looking around for the ball carrier instead of sustaining his block.

As a rule a blocker should just always assume that the runner is linked to and dependent on his block.

23 minutes ago, TPS said:

He did. Was a real pleasant surprise. Even in pass pro.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, Big Turk said:

I'd say it was more that he preferred to beat it with Josh Allen throwing it than running it...I mean imagine if you have Superman playing for you...it's almost like you dread every time you take the ball out of his hands.  I can get it to some degree.

I enjoy imagining what it would be like for my team to be facing Josh Allen, let alone with a strong, balanced team behind him. Allen alone would make me anxious. I mean, what do you take away? His runs? His deep passes? His short passes? The (new) running game? It's like you're screwed no matter what you do, as the Pats* found out last year. So glad he's ours!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I remember that play to the left side. It's a common mistake I see in football... a blocker looking around for the ball carrier instead of sustaining his block.

As a rule a blocker should just always assume that the runner is linked to and dependent on his block.

For a guy who likes to pancake people, I'm surprised he didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He did. Was a real pleasant surprise. Even in pass pro.

Rams edge rusher Leonard Floyd was virtually invisible against the Bills.

It will be very interesting to see how Spencer Brown holds up against the TJ Watts and Matthew Judons of the world.

Josh seems to be perfecting the quick passing game but there will be plays where he needs more than 2.5 seconds to throw and Brown hasn't faced his toughest tests yet.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TPS said:

I saw that live and I agree about the unfinished block. I wondered at the time if it wasn’t a symptom of his back injury/recovery. Last year he would have crushed the guy and gotten a 15 yarder for taunting😜

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I saw that live and I agree about the unfinished block. I wondered at the time if it wasn’t a symptom of his back injury/recovery. Last year he would have crushed the guy and gotten a 15 yarder for taunting😜

Good point.

3 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

100%. There has been a scheme fit and personnel fit variance on the OL. It's one of the few pages where the GM and coaching staff have not meshed as well as they could and it has led to some odd personnel decisions on the OL IMO.

Bates and Brown are both lighter on their feet than guys like Feliciano/ Boettger and Ford. Both can pull and move. That should help with outside zone blocking concepts. This is one of the reasons I was so vocally worried about how they were handing Bates. It also makes me realize just how good Dawkins is, because he can adjust to any scheme and be a (+) blocker. Saffold is more of a mauler, but wow he is quick out of his stance.

Will be interesting to see how these concepts match up with different types of defensive fronts and packages, and how much improvement we can see from the OL and other blockers as it becomes the norm.

I seem to recall McDermott saying last season or perhaps the season before that the run game needed to improve. At the time the Bills were attempting more of a power rushing attack but it wasn't working. He mentioned that it's not just the running backs that needed to improve. I believe they wanted then to go to more zone blocking but realized they didn't really have the personnel to do it. What we saw late in the season was a 6th offensive lineman come in from time to time. The run game improved toward the end of the season. Now with Kromer, I believe the run game will improve week in and week out as the offensive linemen become more familiar with the blocking schemes. Adding Saffold, I believe was another huge help. The OL as a whole will see a marked improvement this year. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'd agree, but he was lined up against Aaron Donald a lot. That will make a lot of guys look not so good!

Yeah, didn't mean to imply he was bad, rather he's the only one who stood out with some miscues.  It was meant as a compliment to the OL in general.

Just now, TPS said:

Yeah, didn't mean to imply he was bad, rather he's the only one who stood out with some miscues.  It was meant as a compliment to the OL in general.

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm a Bates homer, but he has the most to improve, and the line did look improved and strong at the point of attack. Really liked watching the analysis of the run blocking.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, TPS said:

Brown is a dog! Love his game and physicality

Great draft pick. We're set at R and L tackle 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.