All 22 game analysis of how the Bill’s run game is different under Kromer and Dorsey - Heavy borrowing from Shanahan

BuffaloBill

This offense is all ready very explosive. They are at their best when they have a single high safety they are going against with the concepts that Dabol created. Our new coordinator is keeping those concepts while taking advantage of Kromer's expertise. Kromer really is a master OL coach and is able to draw one of those safeties up, by merely being effective running the ball. The beauty is, as soon as one of them creeps up, Josh is going to see that and know that he's got them right where he wants them. Single high safety with a WR in single coverage and no safety help. The opposing defense will have to choose their poison. Get run on all game and wear the defense out or take their chances with the deep ball. Either way, it's not a good choice. Defense will have to resort to trickery to disguise what they are doing with the safeties. Teams will need savvy safeties like the two we have. Not a lot of teams have that.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

The tactics may change week to week but Kromer has helped the Bills overcome 2 high safety looks.  Remember that last year 2 high safety looks were at times a challenge for the Bills to overcome.  They absolutely crushed the Rams D by borrowing from the niners.

The run at 9:20 of the Cover-1 video was something I was laughing at on watching the replay, as basically every blocker and then the ball carrier ran right past Donald who apparently had no idea what was going on. It was like an line of army ants rolling by the equivalent of the guards of Swamp Castle...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The tactics may change week to week but Kromer has helped the Bills overcome 2 high safety looks.  Remember that last year 2 high safety looks were at times a challenge for the Bills to overcome.  They absolutely crushed the Rams D by borrowing from the niners.

Great find @BuffaloBill

This was Thing of Beauty to behold.

I can look at every single run play in these games, and tell 1) what each OLman's initial assignment was 2) what gap the RB was supposed to hit 3) see that there actually IS a gap there by the time the RB hits it

Plenty of small things to clean up that should let us hit bigger gains in the run game, but this is the most organized, effective run blocking I've seen from the Bills since Roman left town.

• Like (+1) 1

Generally, guys on the offensive line love run blocking. You get to hit instead of just trying to hold your ground while being hit. The movement and the downline blocking gets more guys involved. This is what I love about mixing up zone blocking schemes with power blocking. Clearly, Kromer is making sure every player has an assignment and if you think they look good now, wait a few games into the season and compare. The blocking is only going to get better. Can't wait to see what they do next week.

• Like (+1) 1

Some advice or observations, please.

I enjoy the Cover 1 videos but wonder if subscribing to its "premium content" is worth it. It's $57 a year, which is not a burdensome amount. But if the site is more sizzle than steak, that $57 might be better spent at the liquor store.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

cuz Daboll just didn’t get it 

He did not have Aaron Krommer and Krommer has been run game coordinator & offensive line coach.

In fact he worked for LA Rams for two employments by Bills. 

If he was brought in last year he probably would have made a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

That was really good. 

I think this is an excellent demonstration on why Gilliam made this team. He’s a solid blocker. 

watching this actually made me extremely happy and satisfied that Dorsey is OC and of the hiring of Kromer

If a few plays you can see why Jake Kumerow was retained.  On one play he neutralized Bobby Wagner. 

On plays on offense when he was on field he was doing a lot of blocking which made plays. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I love watching film study like this. It's really well explained and helps me enjoy watching the big uglies on the OL and DL during the game.

I was not a huge fan of Saffold or Gilliam. I had no idea Saffold was so fast out of his stance, very quick, like Incognito was. Gilliam is a good motion FB in blocking. Almost every big gain by a RB the past few games has Gilliam in the mix. I'm not saying he is Sam Gash, but he is a solid run blocker. Study like this also shows Dawkins is very strong and fairly nimble.

Knox has some work to do in run blocking still, but I think that part of his game will be better coached now.

I just wish the Bills had a faster RB who could hit those big holes a little faster. Moss is too slow to take advantage. Singletary has just enough juice to get good yards, but not really take advantage of these good blocks. Hopefully Cook gets his act together because he does have speed to take advantage of these schemes and the holes being made.

Watch how fast Gilliam is going right to left - we may be seeing him doing the blocking a few times a game and then one time he will get a handoff when opposing defense is expecting him to just be a blocker.

• Like (+1) 2

In fairness the Bills have wanted to be an outside zone running team since McDermott arrived. They have tried pretty much every year to be that. I just think they have made some head scratching decisions in terms of the type of personnel they have brought in (especially offensive line but to an extent running back too) to achieve that. 

Remember McDermott's first offensive coordinator hire was Rick Dennison. He is from the Mike Shanahan tree. He was Gary Kubiak's offensive coordinator. He wanted that "Shanahan" style of run game. He has tried to get Daboll to run it too. I'm not sure Daboll ever really thought it meshed with the passing game he wanted to run, but also they kept bringing in lumbering olinemen like Quinton Spain and Jon Feliciano who are much more suited to power football than the sort of blocking techniques you need to use for the outside zone. Even Daryl Williams is not really a fit for that style. This offseason they tried again with Kromer - who while he has run about every scheme going during his NFL career worked for McVay who is a Shanahan disciple - and I think this time with Saffold, Bates and Brown they have a more suitable set of blockers to make it work. They started last season as primarily an outside zone team and ended it with mainly gap runs because they couldn't get anything going zone blocking. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

In retrospect it's crazy that Daboll couldn't beat a simple 2 high look... it isn't exactly a new concept. His run scheme was so rudimentary. I'm glad he got hired away.

The Chiefs struggled with the exact same thing all season last year. It isn't just on the play calling and scheme. It also requires the QB to be patient and take smaller plays. Mahomes AND Allen both struggled with that mindset at first. Mahomes still struggles with that, I think.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Chiefs struggled with the exact same thing all season last year. It isn't just on the play calling and scheme. It also requires the QB to be patient and take smaller plays. Mahomes AND Allen both struggled with that mindset at first. Mahomes still struggles with that, I think.

And blocking. And until December last year we had a bottom 6 offensive line. Once Dion got properly healthy and started playing to his normal level things changed. But for the 3/4s of the season our line play was a disaster. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

Some advice or observations, please.

I enjoy the Cover 1 videos but wonder if subscribing to its "premium content" is worth it. It's $57 a year, which is not a burdensome amount. But if the site is more sizzle than steak, that $57 might be better spent at the liquor store.

Thoughts?

How long does the Liquor last you ? just doing the math  lol
Cover 1 is worth the "donation" i wager :)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Wasn’t exactly impressed with our run game on Thursday, so not sure what to make of these changes.

That was a great run D and D overall we played against - its probably better because it has Wagner.  Yes they lost Von but it was elite before he got there.  

They stuck with it and stayed patient.  I started a thread on the 100 yard rusher v 300 yd QB my point was about the importance of your run game.

I said word for word - when you see teams playing that 2 high safety look this will make sense.

Even Ramsey said the Rams didn't think we'd stay as patient as we did both with our quick hitting passes and the run game.  

I also noticed some of those big runs called were with AD off the field.   Showing clear awareness of the weaknesses to attack and when to attack them.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

It also requires the QB to be patient and take smaller plays.

That's partly on the OC too, though. How many times last year did we see a bunch of long developing plays even when the OL couldn't pass block for more than 3 seconds? Dorsey comes in and his first day on the job we're neutralizing the best defensive player of a generation with the quick passing game and well-schemed run game, and only taking deep shots at the right moments. I think Dorsey being a former QB just gets it in a way Daboll never did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.