All 22 game analysis of how the Bill’s run game is different under Kromer and Dorsey - Heavy borrowing from Shanahan

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The tactics may change week to week but Kromer has helped the Bills overcome 2 high safety looks.  Remember that last year 2 high safety looks were at times a challenge for the Bills to overcome.  They absolutely crushed the Rams D by borrowing from the niners.

cuz Daboll just didn’t get it 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• BuffaloBill changed the title to All 22 game analysis of how the Bill’s run game is different under Kromer and Dorsey - Heavy borrowing from Shanahan

Great stuff and thanks for posting.

Among the many great points that Erik makes is that for intents and purposes, when Gilliam is on the field you can call it 12 personnel or 21 personnel because he's a wild card/combo fullback/tight end.

The Bills don't run the exact same concepts as they did back then but Gilliam looks to be the best blocking fullback the team has had since Sam Gash.

As I've said before McDermott is a closet Neanderthal and there will be a game this year where the Bills bring the club out and keep swinging it. As the season progresses this blocking unit will just get better and better.

For a week one performance I'm elated by the transition from Daboll/Johnson to Dorsey/Kromer.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Josh Allen with a legit Non-JoshAllen run game will be almost impossible to stop.  It's hard to see them scoring less than 30 points a game.  Combine that with a ball hawking defense that is going to be very hard to hang more than 20 points on, and you have the ingredients for a very special season.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In retrospect it's crazy that Daboll couldn't beat a simple 2 high look... it isn't exactly a new concept. His run scheme was so rudimentary. I'm glad he got hired away.

I'd say it was more that he preferred to beat it with Josh Allen throwing it than running it...I mean imagine if you have Superman playing for you...it's almost like you dread every time you take the ball out of his hands.  I can get it to some degree.

• Agree 1

I think the accumulative effect of all the experiences Coach Dorsey has had through the years, including his time as quarterback of the high explosive offense of the Miami Hurricanes back in the early 2000's, and the offensive scheming from that time as well will bring so much more to what our offense has already shown thus far.

Edited by Let's Go Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Something I am always kind of shocked at is with as much force and anchoring and pushing these OLinemen do is how are there not more Achilles tears among them?  I mean you are getting double teamed by 2 300lb players and having to try and anchor against that, it's a lot of stress you are putting right on that area...same as when the OLine is run blocking and pushing those DLinemen that are coming towards them.

Just seems like you should be seeing Achilles tears regularly with the amount of stress they are putting on that area play after play and it's actually very rare.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I'd say it was more that he preferred to beat it with Josh Allen throwing it than running it...I mean imagine if you have Superman playing for you...it's almost like you dread every time you take the ball out of his hands.  I can get it to some degree.

You beat that look by running the ball effectively. And I never bought the argument that it was a matter of personnel. Guys like Greg Roman and Kyle Shanahan have built elite running games everywhere they go with a bunch of different players and when defenses are specifically scheming to stop the run. That's what the OC is supposed to do, find a way. We had favorable run looks constantly last year and Daboll never figured it out.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The tactics may change week to week but Kromer has helped the Bills overcome 2 high safety looks.  Remember that last year 2 high safety looks were at times a challenge for the Bills to overcome.  They absolutely crushed the Rams D by borrowing from the niners.

Dorsey has stated he will borrow plays/concepts from anywhere as long as they are viable, (paraphrased)  it’s all part and parcel of his “ everyone is a threat to score thought process. Having Kromer on board is one of if not the most important position coach pick up for this team, and will pay benefits all season long.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love watching film study like this. It's really well explained and helps me enjoy watching the big uglies on the OL and DL during the game.

I was not a huge fan of Saffold or Gilliam. I had no idea Saffold was so fast out of his stance, very quick, like Incognito was. Gilliam is a good motion FB in blocking. Almost every big gain by a RB the past few games has Gilliam in the mix. I'm not saying he is Sam Gash, but he is a solid run blocker. Study like this also shows Dawkins is very strong and fairly nimble.

Knox has some work to do in run blocking still, but I think that part of his game will be better coached now.

I just wish the Bills had a faster RB who could hit those big holes a little faster. Moss is too slow to take advantage. Singletary has just enough juice to get good yards, but not really take advantage of these good blocks. Hopefully Cook gets his act together because he does have speed to take advantage of these schemes and the holes being made.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

To continue the analogy, imagine Superman if you eliminate kryptonite?  In this case, you prevent the D from focusing solely on the pass attack which allows SuperAllen to pick you apart.

Edited by TPS

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Well.........the Niners had beaten the Rams something like 6 times in a row until they lost that battle of attrition to them in the NFC championship game last year.............so with 5 months to prepare was it not to be totally expected that they would steal tactics from a team that dominates the Rams?

What we should see this season in general though is A LOT more nuance in the run game...........BD treated run plays like necessary body blows.......there didn't seem to be much expectation and they ended up getting too many meh results because of that mentality and lack of attention to detail, IMO.

With Dorsey and Kromer I expect plays to be run differently than teams expect.........we saw it in preseason........the line was blurred between outside zone and inside zone with regard to target points for RB's.   This challenges defenses to adjust mid-play.   There was far too much pitch and catch in the Bills run game last year.........they blocked the play the way it was drawn up and the defense ran to where the play was drawn up and that lead to a lot of unsuccessful run plays.  

With most of the league seemingly trying to use that west coast/Shanahan outside zone running game...........and so many teams with so little experience at it.........I anticipate we will see a lot of teams disappointed in the result they get.   Defense's are going to be used to defending those plays the way they are drawn up and inexperienced offense's are going to run them the way they are drawn up.    

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.