Comparing the Von Miller signing to another famous signing...

Special K

4 hours ago, Special K said:

I know it is hard to compare between two different sports, but I compare the Bills signing of Von Miller to the Warriors signing of Kevin Durant.

In both cases, a team with a huge star player (Steph Curry, Josh Allen), adds a highly talented star player to make a great team nearly unstoppable. 

I know the Warriors had already won a Championship before signing Durant, but they won 2 in a row with him in dominating fashion and would have won a third if Durant did not get hurt...hopefully the Bills can follow this trajectory and lift a couple of Lombardi trophies in the next couple of years!!

Thoughts??

Durant didn't do ***** for the Warriors

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

Pillow soft B!?!

Keyboard tough guys are funny. 
Curious: would you dare say that to KDs face? 🤔

***** yea I would b.c what is he going to do?

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Not a FA but the Biscuit trade

That comparison definitely came to mind for me watching the game from an instant impact point of view. I was at the Bills - Broncos game for Bennett’s debut. He was in the Denver backfield all afternoon reading havoc just like Miller was Thursday night. Just hope that similarity continues.

Not comparable at all IMO. Durant to the Warriors was the single biggest front runner move in the history of US sports. The NFL equivalent would be something more like Dwight Freeney signing with the Patriots after their 18-1 season. Even that doesn’t really compare, just because NFL superstars have less impact than NBA superstars. Being 1 out of 5 starters as opposed to 1 out of 22 makes a big difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Malazan said:

Why does the screaming in my head never run out of breath

Put down the chronic. Try some lithium. Pick up a book and call me two Tuesdays from now.   Since I am prescribing the '90s dosage, maybe slip in a Nirvana CD and light a candle. 

😏 

Thank you... That will be: $580.00 please. 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Special K said:

I know it is hard to compare between two different sports, but I compare the Bills signing of Von Miller to the Warriors signing of Kevin Durant.

In both cases, a team with a huge star player (Steph Curry, Josh Allen), adds a highly talented star player to make a great team nearly unstoppable. 

I know the Warriors had already won a Championship before signing Durant, but they won 2 in a row with him in dominating fashion and would have won a third if Durant did not get hurt...hopefully the Bills can follow this trajectory and lift a couple of Lombardi trophies in the next couple of years!!

Thoughts??

The difference is the Warriors had already won a championship or two when Durant signed and I believe set the NBA record for wins in a season the year before he got there.

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Not a FA but the Biscuit trade

I have a vivid memory of Cornelius Bennets first play as a Bill. He trotted out onto the field and my first thought was Dang..dude was built much more compact and svelte back then. I actually remember . The term Brick **** house comes to mind, He just looked very ahem...FIT but smaller stature than I'd have imagined. huge Trade HUGE.

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Put down the chronic. Try some lithium. Pick up a book and call me two Tuesdays from now.   Since I am prescribing the '90s dosage, maybe slip in a Nirvana CD and light a candle. 

😏

Thank you... That will be: $580.00 please. 

le cronique sounds cooler....my ex brooklynite son used to describe the best of everything as le cronique. Dr Dre reference its a classic haha. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Dallas signing Charles Haley

I think it was Michael Irvin who said this very thing in a post game analysis.

EDIT: found the clip. This was BEFORE the Rams game. Really good interview with Irvin and Von Miller.

Irvin talks about Charles Haley joining the young Cowboys @4:55 mark after the Von Miller interview.

I found this to be one of Irvin's best segments on TV, and aligns right with your comparison to Charles Haley.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 3

The easy comparison is Mario Williams to the same team, even playing the same position.  Mario's career obviously flamed out in the end but that was a huge signing when it happened and he was a pro bowl+all pro player and he had a few great years here.

The main difference is where the Bills were as a team when the signings happened.  When we signed Mario the Bills were still stuck in the drought and hoped he could be our defensive savior.  When we signed Von the Bills were already super bowl contenders looking for a way to get over the last hump and signing a future HOFer is (hopefully) going to accomplish that.

Feels more like the Cornelius Bennett pick up to me(I know that was a trade, and Von was a free agent signing obviously) as Biscuit was the last missing piece that catapulted those Bills teams into Super Bowl contenders where it feels like the same thing is happening here with Von joining this already stacked roster.  

16 hours ago, without a drought said:

I was thinking more of Iron Maiden switching to Bruce Dickenson, I still like their first 2 albums with Paul Di'Anno the best, but Bruce brought the band to a new levels.

I do have a soft spot for Blaze Bayley though.

Of the listed options, I agree most with Charles Haley.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I really can’t stand comparisons between two different sports. There are 5 guys on the court in Basketball … one guy has way more impact on every game than in Football outside of the QB position. You can literally win a championship with just two incredible guys.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The difference is the Warriors had already won a championship or two when Durant signed and I believe set the NBA record for wins in a season the year before he got there.

LOL, come on, guys.....I literally said both of these things in my OP......at least read the whole post before you criticize it!!😁

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I think it was Michael Irvin who said this very thing in a post game analysis.

EDIT: found the clip. This was BEFORE the Rams game. Really good interview with Irvin and Von Miller.

Irvin talks about Charles Haley joining the young Cowboys @4:55 mark after the Von Miller interview.

I found this to be one of Irvin's best segments on TV, and aligns right with your comparison to Charles Haley.

I remember being in shock when the Niners traded Haley to Dallas.   Those Bills were a big preseason favorite like these Bills....and just like that a rising NFC power got MUCH better just weeks before the season.   

By losing 2 SB's.......the Bills had proven that they really needed that kind of guy........with the rings and big game arrogance to push their roster over the top.

And somehow the Bills were so "not in" on Haley that the Niners had to trade him in conference to their biggest traditional rival and team their fanbase absolutely despised the most.   For just what were obviously going to be very late 2nd and 3rd round picks!

This is definitely where McBeane are on a different level than that asshat Polian with their "growth mindset" mentality.

Losing and the subsequent media criticism only further entrenched Polian into not improving areas of the roster that were rightfully blamed by fans and media for losing.    

McBeane would have identified the fact that they had A LOT to gain from adding a ring carrying superstar pass rusher and all around badass to a defense that got stage fright in SB's and was a bit soft post-Leonard Smith.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Special K said:

LOL, come on, guys.....I literally said both of these things in my OP......at least read the whole post before you criticize it!!😁

Then I don't see how this is even a valid comparison, it doesn't make any logical sense.

Edited by Big Turk

Takeo Spikes was our best UFA signing in recent history.

if Von plays like this all year it’s the best signing in team history.

he’s already worth the contract not just for his performance…but his leadership/teaching

building the confidence of other players.

the one play where AJ, Philips and DaQuan all got to Stafford at the same time…

Von drew the RB on a chip, the RT AND RG

• Like (+1) 2

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/von-miller-kevin-durant-burner-comparison.html

This year, Miller is hosting a “Voncast” video podcast for Bleacher Report. And in the first episode, Miller took a stab at comparing various NBA stars to current NFL players. Miller compared Aaron Rodgers to LeBron James and Cooper Cupp to Steph Curry. But when it came to Durant, he had no better comparison than himself.

But chasing rings isn’t the only reason Miller is a fitting comparison to Durant. The two-time Super Bowl champ also admitted that like Durant, he also has a burner account.

“I do,” Miller said. “Yeah, I do. I can’t give it to you because [then] it’s not a burner account anymore.”

This, of course, is in reference to Durant infamously using secret Twitter accounts to anonymously argue with fans online.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.