Shakir Should Not Be Inactive

EmotionallyUnstable

Maybe I missed this discussed via McD post game, or the discussion on here…

The Bills leave themselves short handed on the outside with just Diggs, Davis, Kumerow when Shakir is inactive. 

An injury to our #1 or #2 would have us forced to use certain personnel, with Knox as the split end, or possibly force Kumerow into action. 

I think TD Jesus is a capable WR, but I’d rather have the rook be available to step in, instead of have all three RBs (Single, Moss, Cook) active each week. It is not necessary. 

Thoughts?

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The Bills leave themselves short handed on the outside with just Diggs, Davis, Kumerow when Shakir is inactive. 

An injury to our #1 or #2 would have us forced to use certain personnel, with Knox as the split end, or possibly force Kumerow into action. 

I think TD Jesus is a capable WR, but I’d rather have the rook be available to step in, instead of have all three RBs (Single, Moss, Cook) active each week. It is not necessary. 

Thoughts?

I missed the inactives last night.  Who was on the list? 

14 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thoughts?

I think they would have slid Crowder to the outside. I actually don’t see Shakir being active ever if they activate both crowder and McKenzie. 

Especially after that fumble last night, they aren’t going to be activating only Cook as the second RB. 

2 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Those players are almost solely slot guys 

They can play all over in a pinch.  If an injury occurs then the Bills will adjust to it in game then after that they can make Shakir active if they wish.  Shakir is also mostly a slot guy but can also play all over.  Just because he was inactive week 1 doesnt mean he will stay inactive either.  Shakir will get a chance.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’ll get an opportunity soon enough.

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

yep  his time will come !

They are letting him earn his stripes.  The rookies at CB was because we had no one else.  

McD is big on this, letting rookies watch now and then play, unless they are truly someone you shouldn't keep off the field.  Shakir is good for sure, but the vets are the better players to play on opening night.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

They are letting him earn his stripes.  The rookies at CB was because we had no one else.  

McD is big on this, letting rookies watch now and then play, unless they are truly someone you shouldn't keep off the field.  Shakir is good for sure, but the vets are the better players to play on opening night.

This 100%. McD is smart to go with Crowder on PR and Slot in such a game over a rookie. Shakir will get his opportunities this season, but last night it wasnt in the cards. I think we kept all 3 RBs active because they didnt fully trust Cook yet either and he proved that right. Hence the healthy dose of Moss. Agreed the DBs are playing because they have no other choice, and our Safeties can help them out.

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

They traditionally don’t activate 3 RBs on game day so he must think that of Cook. 

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s not Madden, rookies take time and McD knows what he’s doing. 

He’ll get his opportunities soon enough!

Interesting to me that they trust cook enough, in a pass heavy offense, to be Allen’s right hand man potentially pass protection as a rookie

29 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thoughts?

clearly they should Sam Martin should be inactive to make room for Shakir to be activated. That’s assuming Shakir can hold. It’s not rocket science.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

They traditionally don’t activate 3 RBs on game day so he must think that of Cook. 

He had 140 carries at Georgia and didn't fumble once.  

They activated Cook because I'm guessing they wanted him in the passing game and not the running game.  After the fumble on his first touch, I'm sure they put him on the bench because he was probably gonna be in his own head.

I would guess that a lot of those swing passes to Moss were really suppose to be to see what Cook could do.

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And Diggs is a wideout, right?   He's in the slot a lot. 

McDermott is big on position flexibility.  All the wideouts can play all three positions.  

Sure, and yet it still limits their versatility to have one fewer guy in the mix. A team that has a base 11 personnel with 3 WRs more than any other team in football only has 5 active WRs on game day? It’s like they’re short changing themselves for the handful of snaps the 3rd RB will get. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.