A Few Thoughts About the Rams Game, in no particular order

Virgil

56 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

Except perhaps for not being aggressive enough on the INT, I thought Crowder looked very good - The guy is very fast!

I was surprised at the end to read the snap counts that McKenzie was on the field for 26 snaps (44%) to Crowder's 18 (31%).  I didn't think it was that many.

Neither of them had a huge impact relative to their number of snaps.  McKenzie 2 receptions on 3 targets with 1 TD and 1 INT that was really on him for double-clutching the catch.  Crowder 3 receptions on 4 targets with an interception that he arguably contributed to.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great write up.  Great game for almost every aspect.  I cant even complain about McD.

On the Secondary, now I am  nitpicking.    Kupp is great etc etc but allowing anyone to get 13 catches is off the bell curve bad.  Yes we played zone, not to get beat by the big play,  and Kupp  knows where the holes in the zone and hits them but that is a bit concerning.  And on the TD for Kupp Poyer was flat out beat .

I agree, the numbers do look bad. But if you roll it up with the team stats, I'll take it. He only scored 1 TD, their only TD. So, perhaps they gave him some cushion so he wasn't a monster difference. The D took care of the rest of their offense, so like I said..... I'll take it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

But the guy is out there laughing after he gets his.  Literally, Josh looks like a kid at Christmas after he ripped the soul from opposing defenders like a total psychopath.  Now, I'm not a fan of the hits he took in the fourth quarter and Ken needs to tell him to calm down a bit there, but Allen was everything you want to see in a quarterback. 

Allen is scaring me. He reminds me of me in college in Wilkenson Pub at SUNY @ Buffalo. 

I was doing mop work and one of the UB football 'star" players was drunk and was trying to pick up a woman with a racial epitaph. I stepped between her and drunk said "Lady said no.  Best that you leave now since it is past your curfew."  He stood up, picked up bar stool (round wood with three stainless steel legs) and said "Get out of my way." and I responded "I am not moving." He swung bar stool at me and I just moved my head enough for it to hit me in shoulder but just stood there.  Then I laughed smiling a laugh people have called something psychotic out of a horror movie. I responded.  "I love to play tag. My turn." He had a look on his face "Oh crap" and turned.  I stuck mop between legs and kicked them out with him hitting table full speed with his head.  Then I picked him up and told guy at door "I am throwing out the trash" and hurled him out the door with a small bounce.

When I got home I had a tremendous bruise (One which Action Jackson's opponents could feel) and could not move my shoulder for a week.

Josh needs to tame this and not burn himself out.  I know the Bills wanted to pound Ramsey's Rams but the safer course of action would have been to put in some backups. Clearly they treated like a playoff game and wanted to show the players what they could do if they wanted to and in playoffs they would not allow opponent to recover until they were knocked out.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have said the past couple of years we are an elite guy short. You normally need 4 or 5 to win a Superbowl. We had Josh, Tre and Stef. Von makes four. He has plenty left in the tank. 

And it's very possible Davis continues his development to elite status to up that to 5 on the team.  Edmunds could bloom with the way our dl is capable of playing.  And Groot and Basham are flashing.  

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Interesting.  You could hear the noise on the TV, but thought it was all Bills fans

It may not be every week, and they honestly might not be as detailed with my not taking notes anymore.  I'm trying to focus on enjoying the games and making it feel like less of a job.  Also, if they perform like this every week, it will become harder to talk about the same thing each week. 

I hope Bills make it very hard.

Thank you for the write up, Virgil.  I've always looked forward to these since NYC Bill started them so many years ago.

You've done a great job of carrying the torch.

Two things about this game stick out most for me.

The Defensive Line played an incredible game.  Their brut physicality changed how the entire defense looked, and was something that I haven't seen from a Bills D-Line in a long long time.  It's a sign that we could be in for a very fun season.

The second thing is Ken Dorsey's play-calling.  It was a masterpiece, and another positive sign that we could be in for a very fun season.

20 - 0

Let's go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Double D or D squared

If they get known as "D Squared" they might get a contract with Saks Fifth Avenue but I think that nickname is more appropriate for Defense.

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/c/men/dsquared2?site_refer=360i+G&kw_refer=$G_Saks_DSA_Men's+Apparel$G_Saks_DSA_Jeans$DYNAMIC+SEARCH+ADS&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyOuYBhCGARIsAIdGQRPDV_yeE7Pg48vm3nt8PkWPkFIVnuoyeeh4txtQdamBToS7wrNAkp8aAjPPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

The data Sal had stated that just over 20% of the final ticket sales went to NY state addresses.

They were also to told that just under 20,000 Bills fans present - which in a 70,000 seat stadium is 28%.

So the best guess would be 24-25% of the fans were Bills fans - could be a few more or a few less, but that seemed to be the sweet spot.

I was there and it was more. Like me there were a lot of WNY Natives now living in different zip codes who made the trek for this type of game. I’m guessing at least 35-40. Probably one of the least important games in terms of tie breakers and division/conference but boy was it meaningful and fulfilling. Go Bills 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

the "goofball of the night" award goes to the Rams DJ, who tried to get the home crowd amped up with some sing-a-along crowd participation songs.  What was his first selection, you ask?  Yep....he played SHOUT, and the Bills fans went nuts! 

Maybe he remembered how the Bills usurped "Renegade" from the Steelers and thought the Rams could steal "Shout" from us.

That didn't work out too well for them, did it?

With Boogie rushing from the inside, I guess that’s our Nascar package.

Crowder looks like he’s got some burst still. I was happy to see that.

I think you can just throw it up to Davis deep.  He is big, physical, high points the ball and uses his hands well.  With every all out blitz, I’m just throwing it up to Davis and have him win against the DB.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Sometimes you just need to take a step back, clear the mechanism, and watch your team with a fresh perspective.  As I think about the last few years, the waiting for the bad thing to happen syndrome really made it difficult to enjoy the success of the players and the team, because I was always waiting for the next shoe to drop.  As this game approached, I thought more about what losing on the national stage and waiting 10 days for Week 2 would feel like.  The anxiety was palpable.  However, as the game started and I debated taking notes to potentially write these thoughts, I put my phone away and just watched the game with as fresh as a perspective as possible.  I tried not to worry when the score was tied at half and I did my best to drown out CC on the air.  The result, was nothing short of amazing.

3 - Allen - We have the best quarterback in the league.  This is no longer an opinion.  We have the absolute best quarterback in the league.  Let that sink in for a second.  Not only did he start 10 for 10.  Not only did he have a perfect QB rating in the second half.  But the guy is out there laughing after he gets his.  Literally, Josh looks like a kid at Christmas after he ripped the soul from opposing defenders like a total psychopath.  Now, I'm not a fan of the hits he took in the fourth quarter and Ken needs to tell him to calm down a bit there, but Allen was everything you want to see in a quarterback.  Of everything I loved from this game, being able to just watch the beauty in how Allen handled this game was almost euphoric.  His first int was all on the muscle hamster, and the second was on Josh a good bit.  But honestly, when those are pretty much your only incomplete passes, you can flick the ball 50 yards downfield while running full speed, and you can stiff arm a safety into China, what do you have to complain about?  Opposing defenses better pray Allen gets sick or hurt, because he is coming for all of them.

I had just said that Josh was carving up the Rams defense like we saw Brady do to the Bills so many times, and then Tirico says the same thing.  

Then he was changing plays and telling teammates were to go and I said “Now he looks like Manning” and then Collinsworth says the same.

So, Josh attacks a defense like Brady, controls the offense like Manning, makes throws on the run like Mahomes, and runs with ball like Cam Newton/Randall Cunningham.  He’s also improved so much on his deep ball.  Who does he resemble with that?  Rodgers?

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Thank you for the write up, Virgil.  I've always looked forward to these since NYC Bill started them so many years ago.

You've done a great job of carrying the torch.

Two things about this game stick out most for me.

The Defensive Line played an incredible game.  Their brut physicality changed how the entire defense looked, and was something that I haven't seen from a Bills D-Line in a long long time.  It's a sign that we could be in for a very fun season.

The second thing is Ken Dorsey's play-calling.  It was a masterpiece, and another positive sign that we could be in for a very fun season.

20 - 0

Let's go Buffalo!

For many years we’d see opponents run plays that would completely fool the Bills’ defense while our offense struggled to score.  The last few years it’s been great to see Bills’ plays work where receivers are wide open.

20 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I had just said that Josh was carving up the Rams defense like we saw Brady do to the Bills so many times, and then Tirico says the same thing.  

Then he was changing plays and telling teammates were to go and I said “Now he looks like Manning” and then Collinsworth says the same.

So, Josh attacks a defense like Brady, controls the offense like Manning, makes throws on the run like Mahomes, and runs with ball like Cam Newton/Randall Cunningham.  He’s also improved so much on his deep ball.  Who does he resemble with that?  Rodgers?

Josh doesnt resemble anyone.  Its other QBs that will be compared to Josh.  Josh is it all.  The best QB in the league.  He is a unicorn.  There is no one like him and he is not like anyone.  You can put like 4-5 QBs best traits together and then you might have Josh.

Edited by Scott7975

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Allen is scaring me. He reminds me of me in college in Wilkenson Pub at SUNY @ Buffalo. 

I was doing mop work and one of the UB football 'star" players was drunk and was trying to pick up a woman with a racial epitaph. I stepped between her and drunk said "Lady said no.  Best that you leave now since it is past your curfew."  He stood up, picked up bar stool (round wood with three stainless steel legs) and said "Get out of my way." and I responded "I am not moving." He swung bar stool at me and I just moved my head enough for it to hit me in shoulder but just stood there.  Then I laughed smiling a laugh people have called something psychotic out of a horror movie. I responded.  "I love to play tag. My turn." He had a look on his face "Oh crap" and turned.  I stuck mop between legs and kicked them out with him hitting table full speed with his head.  Then I picked him up and told guy at door "I am throwing out the trash" and hurled him out the door with a small bounce.

When I got home I had a tremendous bruise (One which Action Jackson's opponents could feel) and could not move my shoulder for a week.

Josh needs to tame this and not burn himself out.  I know the Bills wanted to pound Ramsey's Rams but the safer course of action would have been to put in some backups. Clearly they treated like a playoff game and wanted to show the players what they could do if they wanted to and in playoffs they would not allow opponent to recover until they were knocked out.

What the ***** did I just read

• Haha (+1) 4

One thing I'm surprised haven't seen /read more about either in articles, TV or even posts here (one article mentioned  it) Ramsey calling Allen trash in 2018. 

Have to wonder if that is still on Allen's mind and his goal is to just make Ramsey's like living hell every time he takes the field against him.  Articles about Ramsey having a perfect QB rating against him is pretty rare.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.