A Few Thoughts About the Rams Game, in no particular order

Virgil

24 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

In terms of fair weather, I would says that those who attended were pretty committed and almost all wore Rams Jerseys or other Rams items

In terms of Bills fans, It was hard to tell because different sections had different percentages. When you looked around, the lower level ($$$) seats had very few Bills fans, but the upper level seemed to have had a lot more. My best guess is 10% to 15% but could easily be way off. Any one else think otherwise?

The data Sal had stated that just over 20% of the final ticket sales went to NY state addresses.

They were also to told that just under 20,000 Bills fans present - which in a 70,000 seat stadium is 28%.

So the best guess would be 24-25% of the fans were Bills fans - could be a few more or a few less, but that seemed to be the sweet spot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Sometimes you just need to take a step back, clear the mechanism, and watch your team with a fresh perspective.  As I think about the last few years, the waiting for the bad thing to happen syndrome really made it difficult to enjoy the success of the players and the team, because I was always waiting for the next shoe to drop.  As this game approached, I thought more about what losing on the national stage and waiting 10 days for Week 2 would feel like.  The anxiety was palpable.  However, as the game started and I debated taking notes to potentially write these thoughts, I put my phone away and just watched the game with as fresh as a perspective as possible.  I tried not to worry when the score was tied at half and I did my best to drown out CC on the air.  The result, was nothing short of amazing.

1 - McD - I've never started one of these talking about McD, and I really struggled with where I wanted to start these.  But at the end of the day, I've always said the coach owns the players focus and drive on the field.  To say that this team showed up ready would be an understatement.  McClappy looked as focused and riled up as I've ever seen him and this team showed it on the field.  In a game where we just put our best 11 guys out there against their best 11, we imposed our will in every facet of the game.  I don't even know how to fully describe the transformation I saw during this game, but this is not the same team we saw in the playoffs last year.  Previous teams would possibly fold after allowing a team like the Rams to stay in the game up until halftime.  Not these Bills.  These Bills came out of the tunnel angry and laid the wood even harder in the second half.  This team is overpowering and can beat anyone in this league.  I am truly in awe of the physicality and sheer dominance from this game.  McD started his campaign for coach of the year on a high note, and I have nothing but faith he is going to address the slippery hands for some of our guys.

2 - Jordan - It would be very easy to put Allen number two here, but Jordan Phillips deserves this spot based on results versus expectations.  His best play won't even show up on the stat sheet as Stafford barely got the ball away.  But I tell you this, no amount of bleach is going to clean those pants, because Phillips took him out at full speed before the release.  Phillips was an absolute terror up the middle and played at the speed of a guy 100 pounds lighter.  If I'm an opposing quarterback with a less than competent offensive line, I might call out sick before playing the Bills. 

3 - Allen - We have the best quarterback in the league.  This is no longer an opinion.  We have the absolute best quarterback in the league.  Let that sink in for a second.  Not only did he start 10 for 10.  Not only did he have a perfect QB rating in the second half.  But the guy is out there laughing after he gets his.  Literally, Josh looks like a kid at Christmas after he ripped the soul from opposing defenders like a total psychopath.  Now, I'm not a fan of the hits he took in the fourth quarter and Ken needs to tell him to calm down a bit there, but Allen was everything you want to see in a quarterback.  Of everything I loved from this game, being able to just watch the beauty in how Allen handled this game was almost euphoric.  His first int was all on the muscle hamster, and the second was on Josh a good bit.  But honestly, when those are pretty much your only incomplete passes, you can flick the ball 50 yards downfield while running full speed, and you can stiff arm a safety into China, what do you have to complain about?  Opposing defenses better pray Allen gets sick or hurt, because he is coming for all of them.

4 - Smiles from a stranger, seem to change your day when
You were just about to go and throw your towel in
Lately I've been thinking about making changes
It's been on my mind for some time and I'm anxious

5 - Dorsey - Without any real trickery or gadget plays, this might have been one of the most beautifully called games I can remember seeing.  Not only did we not punt, but I have zero doubt that we would have scored on every single possession if not for the turnovers.  Even on the field goal, Josh had multiple options for the first down.  The Gabe Davis touchdown was perfectly drawn up and executed.  The run/pass ratio was solid.  The rotation of players was healthy, while still keeping Diggs and Davis on the field.  Everyone got a chance to contribute.  In a game where it was Ken's first chance to call the plays, this guy gets an A+ and I look forward to see him evolve over the season.  I'm also very curious to see how he handles the runningback rotations going forward.  Motor seemed like the hot hand, but Moss got a good portion of carries.  With Cook's fumbles, I feel like we may be waiting a bit to see him unleashed.

6 - Von - Before we signed Von, I got caught talking about him to a friend about how I thought he was too old to really be a force and probably didn't deserve a ton of money.  An hour later, the Bills signed him.  Since then, I've hoped for the best, but realistically expected an average season of maybe seven sacks because, how much difference can one guy make?  Apparently, a lot.  I was super wrong.  Holy ***** was this defensive line transformed.  Seven sacks and zero blitzes.  Von pulled in two sacks where he showed both speed and power.   Not only that, but whatever he's teaching AJ and Boogie, keep it going.  Everyone showed up for this game and I have to believe this is due to the leadership and support of Von.  If Von and company can even repeat half of this performance for the rest of the season, a lot of records are going to be in jeopardy.

7 - Special Teams - Big shout out to Martin for handling some errand snaps and Bass for connecting on each of his kicks.  The kick-off out of bounds was inexcusable, but nothing I would worry about going forward.  Did anyone else think the camera angles were strange for the field goals and extra points?  They were just off center enough to throw off my perspective of their accuracy.  We had fantastic coverage on both kick teams and another no punt game. 

8 - Secondary - When you run a zone defense against a guy like Kupp who makes his living finding space, you know you're going to give up some yardage.  Kupp's was a beautiful touch throw and toe tap, where Poyer left a little too much space.  Beyond that, our secondary was lights out in this game.  I was incredibly worried about Robinson eating us up in this game and you barely heard his name.  I wasn't completely shocked to see Elam play back-up, but I think that's a huge testament to best man plays and the depth Beane has created.  For a Rams team that went one dimensional in the second half and still didn't score a touchdown, it's hard to not be incredibly excited for this season against the pass.  Besides the Dolphins, we don't really face many receiving threat teams before Tre comes back.  I would argue that with our new pass rush and the depth of our secondary, we could easily be the best pass defending team in the league.

9 - The Duo - I'm going to have to think of a better name for Davis and Diggs, but my dear lord were they on point.  Time will tell if this will be the new norm, but we clearly have a 1st and 2nd WR, with a supporting cast to surround them.  Under Daboll, it seemed like Diggs was the only constant and different receivers would step up from week to week.  In this game, Diggs and Davis were the guys and they rewarded Ken and Josh for it.  These guys were basically uncoverable in showing straight line speed, possession catches, and great route running.  If I'm an opposing defense, I don't know who you put your best corner on, but ask Ramsey how that went for him.  I think I saw a stat that Ramsey gave up a perfect QB rating to anyone he covered last night and Josh made some comments to him after the Diggs touchdown.  You know that felt good.

10 - Knox - I know he didn't show up on the stat sheet much, but him and Gilly both did a great job with chip blocks and other supporting roles.  He didn't go out often, but with how everyone else was playing, he didn't need to.  I almost like the fact that he didn't get a lot of exposure so other teams have something else to plan for.  But with everything going on in his life, earning the contract extension, I'm just glad to see him on the field and part of the win.

Have a great 10 days off everyone!  I will be at the Titans game, so not sure if there will be thoughts next week or not.  Either way, it's going to be a great season. 

Go Bills!

Double D or D squared

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We were at the game and the "goofball of the night" award goes to the Rams DJ, who tried to get the home crowd amped up with some sing-a-along crowd participation songs.  What was his first selection, you ask?  Yep....he played SHOUT, and the Bills fans went nuts!  The crowd around us couldn't figure out what had just happened as every Bills fan stood up in unison and started singing/dancing in the aisles! Talk about an unforced error.....sheeesh!

PS: nice write up Virgil! 

Oooof. What a mistake by someone that obviously has no idea what they did. Way to get the opposing fans even more crazed. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Sometimes you just need to take a step back, clear the mechanism, and watch your team with a fresh perspective.  As I think about the last few years, the waiting for the bad thing to happen syndrome really made it difficult to enjoy the success of the players and the team, because I was always waiting for the next shoe to drop.  As this game approached, I thought more about what losing on the national stage and waiting 10 days for Week 2 would feel like.  The anxiety was palpable.  However, as the game started and I debated taking notes to potentially write these thoughts, I put my phone away and just watched the game with as fresh as a perspective as possible.  I tried not to worry when the score was tied at half and I did my best to drown out CC on the air.  The result, was nothing short of amazing.

1 - McD - I've never started one of these talking about McD, and I really struggled with where I wanted to start these.  But at the end of the day, I've always said the coach owns the players focus and drive on the field.  To say that this team showed up ready would be an understatement.  McClappy looked as focused and riled up as I've ever seen him and this team showed it on the field.  In a game where we just put our best 11 guys out there against their best 11, we imposed our will in every facet of the game.  I don't even know how to fully describe the transformation I saw during this game, but this is not the same team we saw in the playoffs last year.  Previous teams would possibly fold after allowing a team like the Rams to stay in the game up until halftime.  Not these Bills.  These Bills came out of the tunnel angry and laid the wood even harder in the second half.  This team is overpowering and can beat anyone in this league.  I am truly in awe of the physicality and sheer dominance from this game.  McD started his campaign for coach of the year on a high note, and I have nothing but faith he is going to address the slippery hands for some of our guys.

2 - Jordan - It would be very easy to put Allen number two here, but Jordan Phillips deserves this spot based on results versus expectations.  His best play won't even show up on the stat sheet as Stafford barely got the ball away.  But I tell you this, no amount of bleach is going to clean those pants, because Phillips took him out at full speed before the release.  Phillips was an absolute terror up the middle and played at the speed of a guy 100 pounds lighter.  If I'm an opposing quarterback with a less than competent offensive line, I might call out sick before playing the Bills. 

3 - Allen - We have the best quarterback in the league.  This is no longer an opinion.  We have the absolute best quarterback in the league.  Let that sink in for a second.  Not only did he start 10 for 10.  Not only did he have a perfect QB rating in the second half.  But the guy is out there laughing after he gets his.  Literally, Josh looks like a kid at Christmas after he ripped the soul from opposing defenders like a total psychopath.  Now, I'm not a fan of the hits he took in the fourth quarter and Ken needs to tell him to calm down a bit there, but Allen was everything you want to see in a quarterback.  Of everything I loved from this game, being able to just watch the beauty in how Allen handled this game was almost euphoric.  His first int was all on the muscle hamster, and the second was on Josh a good bit.  But honestly, when those are pretty much your only incomplete passes, you can flick the ball 50 yards downfield while running full speed, and you can stiff arm a safety into China, what do you have to complain about?  Opposing defenses better pray Allen gets sick or hurt, because he is coming for all of them.

4 - Smiles from a stranger, seem to change your day when
You were just about to go and throw your towel in
Lately I've been thinking about making changes
It's been on my mind for some time and I'm anxious

5 - Dorsey - Without any real trickery or gadget plays, this might have been one of the most beautifully called games I can remember seeing.  Not only did we not punt, but I have zero doubt that we would have scored on every single possession if not for the turnovers.  Even on the field goal, Josh had multiple options for the first down.  The Gabe Davis touchdown was perfectly drawn up and executed.  The run/pass ratio was solid.  The rotation of players was healthy, while still keeping Diggs and Davis on the field.  Everyone got a chance to contribute.  In a game where it was Ken's first chance to call the plays, this guy gets an A+ and I look forward to see him evolve over the season.  I'm also very curious to see how he handles the runningback rotations going forward.  Motor seemed like the hot hand, but Moss got a good portion of carries.  With Cook's fumbles, I feel like we may be waiting a bit to see him unleashed.

6 - Von - Before we signed Von, I got caught talking about him to a friend about how I thought he was too old to really be a force and probably didn't deserve a ton of money.  An hour later, the Bills signed him.  Since then, I've hoped for the best, but realistically expected an average season of maybe seven sacks because, how much difference can one guy make?  Apparently, a lot.  I was super wrong.  Holy ***** was this defensive line transformed.  Seven sacks and zero blitzes.  Von pulled in two sacks where he showed both speed and power.   Not only that, but whatever he's teaching AJ and Boogie, keep it going.  Everyone showed up for this game and I have to believe this is due to the leadership and support of Von.  If Von and company can even repeat half of this performance for the rest of the season, a lot of records are going to be in jeopardy.

7 - Special Teams - Big shout out to Martin for handling some errand snaps and Bass for connecting on each of his kicks.  The kick-off out of bounds was inexcusable, but nothing I would worry about going forward.  Did anyone else think the camera angles were strange for the field goals and extra points?  They were just off center enough to throw off my perspective of their accuracy.  We had fantastic coverage on both kick teams and another no punt game. 

8 - Secondary - When you run a zone defense against a guy like Kupp who makes his living finding space, you know you're going to give up some yardage.  Kupp's was a beautiful touch throw and toe tap, where Poyer left a little too much space.  Beyond that, our secondary was lights out in this game.  I was incredibly worried about Robinson eating us up in this game and you barely heard his name.  I wasn't completely shocked to see Elam play back-up, but I think that's a huge testament to best man plays and the depth Beane has created.  For a Rams team that went one dimensional in the second half and still didn't score a touchdown, it's hard to not be incredibly excited for this season against the pass.  Besides the Dolphins, we don't really face many receiving threat teams before Tre comes back.  I would argue that with our new pass rush and the depth of our secondary, we could easily be the best pass defending team in the league.

9 - The Duo - I'm going to have to think of a better name for Davis and Diggs, but my dear lord were they on point.  Time will tell if this will be the new norm, but we clearly have a 1st and 2nd WR, with a supporting cast to surround them.  Under Daboll, it seemed like Diggs was the only constant and different receivers would step up from week to week.  In this game, Diggs and Davis were the guys and they rewarded Ken and Josh for it.  These guys were basically uncoverable in showing straight line speed, possession catches, and great route running.  If I'm an opposing defense, I don't know who you put your best corner on, but ask Ramsey how that went for him.  I think I saw a stat that Ramsey gave up a perfect QB rating to anyone he covered last night and Josh made some comments to him after the Diggs touchdown.  You know that felt good.

10 - Knox - I know he didn't show up on the stat sheet much, but him and Gilly both did a great job with chip blocks and other supporting roles.  He didn't go out often, but with how everyone else was playing, he didn't need to.  I almost like the fact that he didn't get a lot of exposure so other teams have something else to plan for.  But with everything going on in his life, earning the contract extension, I'm just glad to see him on the field and part of the win.

Have a great 10 days off everyone!  I will be at the Titans game, so not sure if there will be thoughts next week or not.  Either way, it's going to be a great season. 

Go Bills!

Virgil, 

I know all this is a ton of work. And you want to just sit and enjoy the games for what they are. I feel like we can all finally sit back and take a deep breath knowing this is the case. Seems like it will always be the case as long as 17 is leading this team. 

but please please please keep these up in some way, shape, or form. They are always well written and very enjoyable a day or 2 after the game. Hopefully after wins. 

enjoyed it like I always do. Cheers to this year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

@Virgil thank you for your time in sharing your analysis with us. We all are diehards here. This is a time to look forward and acknowledge what IS ...and that is an incredibly exciting season ahead. You post  when you can it is appreciated!

GO BILLS!~!~!!!

m

• Like (+1) 1

So far as what percent were Bills fans, I swear it looked like half. I was in Section 514 row 11 (50 yard line) so I could high up and could see pretty much the entire stadium except the rows behind me. It looked 50/50. I saw a few things:

• When standing in line for beer, 7 to one ration Bills to Lamb fans
  • When going to the bathroom, at least the same (of course correlated to the above)
  • When I was walking out, as expected Lamb fans left much earlier than Bills fans, I stayed to the end. But, It looked like 50 Bills fans to each Lamb fan. I took a picture when I started walking down the stairs to exit. See below:
  • image.png.7811b6bd9bc4683ffbe3029771ca8872.png
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

this is a great point that I've not read expressed anywhere else. Of course I was homing hard for he to have a BIG game. And in retrospect He did what he had to do, had like 1 drop. But overall I like also what you said about all the plays they can use WITH Dawson Knox in future games. It'll get to the point of "who are you going to double team or Not?" Our team will be tough to game plan a defense against we are POTENT on offense. 

GO BILLS!~!

• Like (+1) 2

Great stuff, Virgil!  Thanks for getting down for us to look at.   I'll comment on a few things. 

I love that you started off with McDermott.  This amazing success this team seems to be enjoying is due to him.   He's created the environment where everyone thrives.  People may say "What about Allen?" and I'll say that even Allen is a better player today because he's playing on this team with this coach.  The level of excellence that all of the players is achieving is amazing.  

And in particular, you said the one word that I kept thinking last night:  Physicality.  Look at Allen's TD.  Look at his stiff arm.  Look at Gilliam absolutely sticking people.   Look at one of Baldy's breakdowns, showing the picture perfect execution by Gilliam, Knox, and Davis blocking.   Look at Miller overpowering tackles.  Look at the Dline absolutely pounding Stafford.   Even Edmunds was hitting harder.   In his heart, McDermott is a wrestler, and he wants that wrestler's mentality on the field.   We saw it last night.  

I'm happy for Phillips.  He loves the game, and after his travels he knew Buffalo was the place for him.  He will make the most of the opportunity.

I had very similar thoughts about Von Miller.   I didn't know what to expect, but I know I didn't expect what we got last night.   I almost jumped out of my chair with his first sack.  What a player!

And after all the bashing of Beane that's gone on around here about his first and second round picks lately (late in the round, I might add), I wonder what people think about AJ, Boogie and Rousseau now.   People can say that the dline benefits because Miller draws attention, but that's now what we were seeing last night.   Those three guys have now grown into young defensive linemen who can make plays.   Not dominant, but effective, hard-working guys who make impactful plays.  

When McDermott and Beane first arrived in Buffalo, they described how they were going to build for long-term success.   One thing they said was that by having good veteran leadership and continuity with players, you can raise the level of play in year one, and then build from that level in year two, and so one, and the team keeps getting better and better.  And as you bring in new guys, they come in and are taught in their first year to play at the level the other guys already are at.   And lo and behold, here are Dane Jackson and two rookie corners on the national stage against a serious, good team, the kind of team you would expect to expose the inexperience of those guys, and what happened?   Nothing happened, that's what.   Just solid corner play all night long. 

And, finally, in that regard, I don't buy for a minute that complaint that Kupp caught too many passes for too many yards.   It's a team game, and it's all about winning.  If you can let their star have, for him, an ordinary game and shut down everyone else in their offense, there is absolutely no reason to think that there was a problem.  Dane Jackson and two rookie corners playing their first game (and Taron Johnson) held the best receiver in the league last season to one beautiful touchdown and a hundred meaningless yards.  Look at this way:  The Rams averaged 372 yards and 27 points last season.   Last night, they got 243 yards and 10 points.   There is absolutely no reason to complain about what Kupp got last night.  

Thanks again for the write up.  

8 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

Except perhaps for not being aggressive enough on the INT, I thought Crowder looked very good - The guy is very fast!

Crowder was, in my mind, the biggest and most pleasant surprise.

For me, there is just something about the way a guy fields punts that tells whether he can be trusted back there.  He gave me that feeling immediately.   He's just really solid handling the ball back there.   And he's equally good in the passing games.  His hands are excellent, way better than McKenzie.  I think he'll be the primary slot guy, with McKenzie used in spot duty.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Thank you for another awesome write up, Virgil.  I understand exactly where you were coming from going into this game.  There's been all this buzz in the media about how the Bills were the favorite to win the Super Bowl, not by a handful of "experts" but by a majority.   That's scary for a long time Bills fan.   People other than Bills fans calling Allen the best QB in the league?   Ohhhhh, baby ....

All I can say about the game is that the Bills were scary good last night, dominating the defending World Champions.    They didn't live up to expectations in this game, they exceeded them.  There's still 16 games left plus the playoffs, but this looks like it could be a fairy tale season.   This team is that good.

• Like (+1) 1

10. Knox ....

Absolutely agree. I'm sure his emotions are still a bit fragile as well. Let him play a supporting role for a couple of games. I have no problem with that.

With that said, I have an image of him pointing up after he scores his first TD. I don't think I've ever gotten chills while screaming like an animal, but it might happen then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

We were at the game and the "goofball of the night" award goes to the Rams DJ, who tried to get the home crowd amped up with some sing-a-along crowd participation songs.  What was his first selection, you ask?  Yep....he played SHOUT, and the Bills fans went nuts!  The crowd around us couldn't figure out what had just happened as every Bills fan stood up in unison and started singing/dancing in the aisles! Talk about an unforced error.....sheeesh!

PS: nice write up Virgil! 

Prophetic.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have said the past couple of years we are an elite guy short. You normally need 4 or 5 to win a Superbowl. We had Josh, Tre and Stef. Von makes four. He has plenty left in the tank. 

Interesting take. Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde, Davis, and heck even Singletary are playing at an elite level. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Interesting take. Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde, Davis, and heck even Singletary are playing at an elite level. 

They are all really good. I think Dawkins and Po are proven at the next tier below elite. But playing elite for a few games and "being elite" are different. 

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great write up.  Great game for almost every aspect.  I cant even complain about McD.

On the Secondary, now I am  nitpicking.    Kupp is great etc etc but allowing anyone to get 13 catches is off the bell curve bad.  Yes we played zone, not to get beat by the big play,  and Kupp  knows where the holes in the zone and hits them but that is a bit concerning.  And on the TD for Kupp Poyer was flat out beat .

He caught a lot of passes but his avg yards per catch was quite small. Compared to his average for last year, we actually did quite well

image.png.38f6ffd36e93ba584e5083dff9cea7e1.png

2 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

Every time, the RAMS had a crucial 3rd or 4th down, their fans were on their feet cheering. The Rams on the sidelines tried to get the fans to quiet down

Those were just frustrated actors hoping to get producers' and casting directors' attention. 🎥🎬

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.