Seattle tried to trade Russ for 1st pick in 2018 draft

Bills92

Long time listener, first time caller here...  and I think this may have been discussed before.. but a recent ESPN article on Russ Wilson, he reminded everybody that Seattle tried to trade him for the first overall pick in the 2018 draft (owned by the Browns at the time) and  with that pick, Seattle would would have (supposedly) selected JA17.

Thankfully Cleveland declined and chose Baker Mayfield...  

https://dailysnark.com/2022/09/07/report-seahawks-offered-russell-wilson-in-trade-with-browns-for-no-1-pick-in-2018-nfl-draft/

Just another reminder as to how lucky we are (on a 1st week Victory Friday)  to have JA17 as QB1

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Was that the only team they called? A few other teams that could have been interested you'd think. 

Cleveland and Jets I think were the only 2 teams that would have been in play for a QB and the Jets traded their 1st, 2nd and 3rd to move up 3 spots.  I doubt they would have made a trade for a player after giving that up (even if it was Wilson).

Giants still had Eli, Broncos had Keenem and Indy had Luck.

Edited by The Wiz

19 hours ago, Bills92 said:

Long time listener, first time caller here...  and I think this may have been discussed before.. but a recent ESPN article on Russ Wilson, he reminded everybody that Seattle tried to trade him for the first overall pick in the 2018 draft (owned by the Browns at the time) and  with that pick, Seattle would would have (supposedly) selected JA17.

https://dailysnark.com/2022/09/07/report-seahawks-offered-russell-wilson-in-trade-with-browns-for-no-1-pick-in-2018-nfl-draft/

Just another reminder as to how lucky we are (on a 1st week Victory Friday)  to have JA17 as QB1

Go Bills!

It was indeed fortunate and serendipitous that the Bills:

A. Picked the right guy

B. Denver didn’t trade with Seattle AND didn’t take a QB

C. Browns and Jets made very Brownsy and Jetsy choices with Mayfield and Darnold. 

D. Tampa Bay was a willing trade partner allowing Bills to get to # 7 and ahead of Arizona. 
It could have gone so differently. Maybe after years of the dark cloud that’s cursed Bills fans, the sun is finally shining on us. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 5

Speaking of the 2018 NFL draft...

It has now emerged that Josh Allen was the shining gem to be had in the top of the draft class...

Cleveland gets picks 1 AND 4, remember, and they take Mayfield and Denzel Ward.

Giants pick 2 and take a freaking RB (LOL) in Barkley.

Jets pick 3rd and take Darnold.

Denver picks 5th and takes a DE in Bradley Chubb.

Colts pick 6th and take G Quenton Nelson.

And then we take Josh with the next pick.

If you are ANY of those teams wouldn't you have rather taken Josh?

Five organizations get six cracks at grabbing the gem of the draft and total franchise savior, and they all pass.

That's NFL scouting/drafting for you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Brad Johnson says hi.

Seattles defense in 2014 was the reason Russ won a super bowl.

Come on man, Wilson is a hell of a QB and more than good enough for any team that has him.

But as I said, he's getting older now.

You don't have to have the best QB...any of about 3 or 4 studs at the top of the league are fine.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Come on man, Wilson is a hell of a QB and more than good enough for any team that has him.

But as I said, he's getting older now.

You don't have to have the best QB...any of about 3 or 4 studs at the top of the league are fine.

I know he is but he really wasn't anything special that season was more my point. 

13-3 3400yds 20tds 7ints 63 pass %.

Hence the Brad Johnson reference because that defense that year was lights out. 

Edited by The Wiz

27 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

It was indeed was fortunate and serendipitous that the Bills:

A. Picked the right guy

B. Denver didn’t trade with Seattle AND didn’t take a QB

C. Browns and Jets made very Brownsy and Jetsy choices with Mayfield and Darnold. 

D. Tampa Bay was a willing trade partner allowing Bills to get to # 7 and ahead of Arizona. 
It could have gone so differently. Maybe after years of the dark cloud that’s cursed Bills fans, the sun is finally shining on us. 

Let’s also throw thanks to the genius GM Dave Gettlemen who, instead of trading 3rd overall, stayed put and selected a running back. He could have gotten quite the haul to drop back in that draft. 

57 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

Go Bills!

yeah, the Seahawks interest in JA was widely reported in the spring of 2018.  That's what started the dab feelings between Russ and Seattle.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.