Josh Allen's Incredible Accuracy Makes the Bills Unstoppable (article)

Logic

Nice read. I'll post a couple snippets.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/9/9/23344053/buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-josh-allen-von-miller

The Bills didn’t punt. Again.

Last season there were 285 NFL games in the regular season and playoffs, meaning there were 570 individual team games. Eleven times, an offense managed to go all game without punting—that’s just 1.9 percent of all team games. The Buffalo Bills have now done it four times in their past six games, dating back to Week 16 of last season. They didn’t punt in their 33-21 win over the Patriots in Week 16, or in their 29-15 win over the Falcons in Week 17. Their wild-card playoff game against the Pats was arguably the greatest offensive performance in NFL history—seven drives, seven touchdowns, no field goals, turnovers, turnovers on downs, or punts. The Chiefs ended Buffalo’s season in the divisional round, but it feels unfair to say Kansas City stopped Josh Allen—after all, Allen left the game with the lead and 13 seconds remaining. (You know what happened next.)

Thursday night, Buffalo opened the 2022 NFL season by crushing the defending Super Bowl champion Rams, 31-10. They converted nine of 10 third downs, becoming just the fourth team in the past 40 years to hit on 90 percent of third downs. Their new punter, Sam Martin, got paid to visit L.A. and hold on some field goals and extra points. He should’ve brought one of those frozen margarita mixers down to the sideline.

It feels like I’m being metaphorical or hyperbolic when I say the Bills are unstoppable. But they didn’t punt. Again. For the fourth time in six games. They are more likely to not punt than they are to punt....

....The Bills scored 21 unanswered points in the second half. Allen finished the game 26-of-31 with three touchdowns, plus the rushing score. He throws for accuracy, he throws deep balls, he runs over dudes, he makes perfect throws on the run. What the hell can you do to stop him?

NFL teams have five months to figure that out—but I don’t like their chances. Meanwhile, the Bills’ punter has five months to figure out what the hell he’s supposed to do on the sideline of these games. He should consider turning the kicking net into a hammock, although it’s probably gonna be hard to nap when his teammates are going nuts for touchdowns all the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 10

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s easy to get caught up in the hyperbole. Let’s celebrate but take a page out of the player’s book. This was one game and it was not perfect. 

All those turnovers likely contributed to the lack of a punt, as well.  So that stat is kind of doubled edged.

You can't punt if you give the ball away instead.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s easy to get caught up in the hyperbole. Let’s celebrate but take a page out of the player’s book. This was one game and it was not perfect. 

I respect that approach, and I will respectfully not be following it.

Am I predicting a Super Bowl trophy after last night's game? Not necessarily. Am I going to bask in the superlatives and admiration from national analysts and fans after the Bills continued to make NFL history (just the fourth 90% 3rd down conversion rate game in 40 years, no punts in four of last six games), and soak up every bit of joy and happiness that comes along with having a generational QB and the best roster in the league -- ESPECIALLY after enduring a 17 year period of bad football and national irrelevance? Hell yes.

Besides, the players need to say "on to next week" and not get caught up in the press clippings. The fans do not need to follow that model. Overly excited fans aren't going to cause the Bills to lose football games.

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Didn't the Ringer just tell us he had questionable accuracy?

Different writer. That was Steven Ruiz, who is a butthole. This is Rodger Sherman, who USED to be a butthole, but has repeatedly eaten crow regarding his "Allen will never be any good" takes from 2018 draft season.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

All those turnovers likely contributed to the lack of a punt, as well.  So that stat is kind of doubled edged.

You can't punt if you give the ball away instead.

You can't assume that.  We may have scored on each of those possessions where the ball was turned over.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, longtimebillsfan said:

You can't assume that.  We may have scored on each of those possessions where the ball was turned over.

It's possible, but drives end in punts more than they end in scores, don't they?

I'm just playing with probability here.  Having said that, we did a lot of scoring all night, so maybe last night, we WOULD have scored.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Far from it, but the domination of the other team(who happened to be the reigning SB Champ btw) even while a lot of improvements can be made was stunning.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen was great.  The int on the pass to Crowder was part on Allen and part on Crowder for not coming back to the ball and breaking it up.   The reason I say that it was part on Allen is that he had more time to throw on that play than any other play all game.  I watch most games on TV, but was at the game and high up on the 50 yard line.  Could see every play develop in a unique way that you don't get to see on TV.  Allen could have run on that play.   He could have dumped it off.  He could have waited to find a receiver who was more open.  He had a totally clean pocket and could have gone through his reads again.  Instead he chose to throw to a guy who was pretty well coverd.   But that was one bad play in a game full of stellar ones.

The back shoulder throw to Diggs along the sideline on third and long was a piece of mastery.  It was the most incredible throw he made all day.  The deep throws to Diggs and Davis were not great THROWS per se (for exmaple, he didn't hit Diggs in stride), but they didn't need to be.  They were amazing PLAYS in which he scrambled, manipulated the defense, and got the ball downfield to the open receiver.  It was a true clinic in quarterbacking.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.