Timeouts on Rams last drive

Toledo Bill

If I remember right McVay had the starters in, went up tempo but not 2 min as they were not going for the sideline, and also went for it on 4th down.

I'm thinking McD understood then that they were both treating it as basically a chance to practice and try a few things.

Felt like they were on the same page and mutual respect and not a D move, just let it all play out.

• Agree 1

Many reasons those timeouts were a good idea:

1)  Prevent a last score by Rams' starters (being competitive, playing for pride, practicing situational football)

2)  Prevent injuries or illness - it was very hot and humid, so let guys get properly hydrated to avoid cramps or pulls

3)  Get backups into the game - prevents injuries to starters AND gets younger guys reps

4)  Give those of us Bills fans in the stadium to fully enjoy a few more minutes of the sweet taste of victory.  It was such a great win for the franchise.  None of the Bills fans were running for the exits.  I think we all just wanted to enjoy the moment and soak it all in.  (Plus, the cost-per-minute of the ticket went down with each extra minute in the stadium).  This obviously shouldn't be a factor in McDermott's decision, but it was a nice side benefit.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 4

The Rams were flipping between running the clock out and actively going hurry-up to try and score. I have no problems with McD using timeouts there. 

The issue I had with timeouts was not using them at the end of the first half. McD should've used them and forced the Rams to decide if they wanted to risk missing a very long FG with enough time on the clock for the Bills to run a play or two and kick a FG of their own. Letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds was a tactical mistake. 

20 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The Rams were flipping between running the clock out and actively going hurry-up to try and score. I have no problems with McD using timeouts there. 

The issue I had with timeouts was not using them at the end of the first half. McD should've used them and forced the Rams to decide if they wanted to risk missing a very long FG with enough time on the clock for the Bills to run a play or two and kick a FG of their own. Letting the clock tick down to 4 seconds was a tactical mistake. 

I (respectfully) disagree on this one.  The Rams should have immediately taken a TO after the previous play to give themselves time to decide what they wanted to do.  If they had, they could have attempted another play to get closer, then used another TO for the FG attempt.  By letting the clock run down, they only had time for one play and HAD TO try a long FG (or a Hail Mary).  It worked out for them, as their kicker made a great kick, but they could have managed it much better.  If the BILLS had taken the TO, they would have done the Rams a favor.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It seemed like the defense was a little gassed. But I see no issue with playing to the whistle, if those guys on the other team are out trying to score.

That said, the “McD special” of taking a defensive timeout always seems to backfire— the other offense always seems to convert or make a play after the timeout! 

I don't recall it backfiring. It gives Frasier a chance to see the offensive set and make adjustments if desired. Whether it works or not is hard to say but if there are unused TO's at the end of a half (particularly the first half), why not?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

If Mcvay is keeping his starters in to pad Kupps and Staffords stats I have no problem getting the defense set. These are valuable live reps in the first game of the season and we have rookie corners who need every rep possible. So Mcvay either wanted them to have more live reps or he’s trying to pad stats for them.  Mcvay did this last year in his big losses, I only know cause of fantasy but Kupp murdered garbage time when they were up big or blown out. 

Pretty sure after one of the timeouts they pulled poyer, hyde, edmunds, milano, and Johnson... so that to me is a good reason to use a timeout. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, ticketssince61 said:

What I found perplexing is that end of the first half with one TO remg. the rams let the clock run down to 4 seconds before kicking the field goal 56 yd FG 

They could have run one more play to get 5 or 10 yards to make it an easier kick

They could of also taken a loss and not been able to attempt it. Buffalo was blowing through their line almost every play. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I don't recall it backfiring. It gives Frasier a chance to see the offensive set and make adjustments if desired. Whether it works or not is hard to say but if there are unused TO's at the end of a half (particularly the first half), why not?

I too like the strategy, but remember, “13 seconds”, we took timeouts before each of those plays 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Curious how people feel about our coach taking timeouts on the last Rams drive when the game was in hand. 
I know they have a propensity to take defensive timeouts but seemed a weird time to be doing so. I won’t lose any sleep over it but it could be construed as “rubbing it in”.

Don't care.  McDermott setting the tone, putting entire league on notice.

My timeout issue was the end of the first half.  The Bills should have called a timeout and not allowed the clock to run down from around 16 seconds to 2.  The Rams most likely would have punted the ball, but the 2 seconds allowed to attempt a long field goal and tie the game.

Go Bills!!!!

On 9/9/2022 at 2:19 PM, ticketssince61 said:

What I found perplexing is that end of the first half with one TO remg. the rams let the clock run down to 4 seconds before kicking the field goal 56 yd FG 

They could have run one more play to get 5 or 10 yards to make it an easier kick

or take a 10 yard sack.  They were under some duress.  My guess is he wanted to get off the field and talk about reversing the shellacking.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.