Timeouts on Rams last drive

Toledo Bill

Curious how people feel about our coach taking timeouts on the last Rams drive when the game was in hand. 
I know they have a propensity to take defensive timeouts but seemed a weird time to be doing so. I won’t lose any sleep over it but it could be construed as “rubbing it in”.

4 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Curious how people feel about our coach taking timeouts on the last Rams drive when the game was in hand. 
I know they have a propensity to take defensive timeouts but seemed a weird time to be doing so. I won’t lose any sleep over it but it could be construed as “rubbing it in”.

Pretty sure the clock was stopped on both. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

It seemed like the defense was a little gassed. But I see no issue with playing to the whistle, if those guys on the other team are out trying to score.

That said, the “McD special” of taking a defensive timeout always seems to backfire— the other offense always seems to convert or make a play after the timeout! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

He substituted our back 7, no need to risk injury to any of our starters in that situation.  Smart coaching

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

They were running the clock out and buffalo was content to let them hand it off.  Then they switched to no huddle passing.  I'd call timeout too, get the right personnel in to match.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boco357 said:

I believe he is fanatical about preparation in certain spots of the game and this was just practice for that

Yep.  Why stop coaching?  The whole message is give 100% 100% of the time - always improve.  Can't understand why anyone would get bothered about calling TOs for teachable/coachable moments in live game action - against a team at the time that was trying to score

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Their offense has zero need for the timeouts, so may as well get a preview of what the opposition has planned by seeing how they line up.  Then, the Bills can adjust their defensive call or force the other team to go with plan B. 

the game was already in hand, but they still have their pride and didn’t want the Rams to score. 

It worked. Bills got the ball back. Victory formation.  21 points differential. 

unlikely that it could happen, but that can be a tie-breaker come playoff time. 

(As if…..)

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, folz said:

Didn't want to give up a garbage time score. I respect that. He had the defenses back. They wanted to keep the Rams to 10 points.

Exactly.  We dominated.  No need to give up garbage time scores, especially to Cooper Kupp.  

Seeing how bummed Sean McVay was at the end of the game was wonderful.  Just an awesome performance to start what will be an awesome season!!  Go Bills!! 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

If Mcvay is keeping his starters in to pad Kupps and Staffords stats I have no problem getting the defense set. These are valuable live reps in the first game of the season and we have rookie corners who need every rep possible. So Mcvay either wanted them to have more live reps or he’s trying to pad stats for them.  Mcvay did this last year in his big losses, I only know cause of fantasy but Kupp murdered garbage time when they were up big or blown out. 

• Like (+1) 4

51 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It seemed like the defense was a little gassed. But I see no issue with playing to the whistle, if those guys on the other team are out trying to score.

That said, the “McD special” of taking a defensive timeout always seems to backfire— the other offense always seems to convert or make a play after the timeout! 

oh come on---when has that ever happened??

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Toledo Bill said:

They weren't allowing the Rams to score or get any kind of momentum from it.  We aren't here to be "nice", we are here to kick your ass, shove you down to the ground and make you stick your tongue out and lick the dog poop.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.