Allen's frequent running

Success

Allen took just over 200 hits last year and it looks like he’s not letting up. In the Sims interview he mentioned how he felt the physical toll of his style of play, after games and after the season. Cam was never as good a player as Allen (even at his best) but he was every bit the physical specimen Allen is and Cam broke down at 30. So longevity is the issue here.

Allen should and deserves to enjoy a long career because he does all of the QB things at a high level both in terms of execution and football smarts. Thing is his running the ball, both designed runs and even more when plays break down would be a huge asset to give up - important third down conversions and some game breakers, and with regularity. He’s young and he’s strong so maybe it’s ok if he does this for a handful of years and then tapers off. 
The only thing you worry about  is injury and here like others I don’t think he’s cautious enuf. Does he really have to truck that linebacker?

48 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I think Josh will run a little less moving forward UNLESS an opportunity certainly presents itself.  I felt he was trying to prove a point to his new teammates (ie: Von and the rookies) about what he is willing to do win a game; especially being the first game and a big game at that.

Couldn't have said it better.  Tells the new guys "this is what I will do to win a game, what will you do?"

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree with those that say he shouldn't be running when the game is in hand. I don't even want him throwing in that situation, just run out the clock and get Allen off the field ASAP. But I don't understand the fans that want us to run him less in general. His legs are part of what make him special. There's risk involved on every play that Allen holds the ball and it isn't actually more likely that he'll get injured while scrambling than while standing in the pocket. So I want him to run as much as he deems necessary to win the game.

Justin Herbert is an interesting comparison.  He's comparable to Josh physically and in terms of running ability, but he runs the ball much less frequently.  I suspect that's the Chargers' decision, not Herbert's, which means they've made a conscious decision to limit that part of his game, presumably to reduce his injury risk.  It may also be that Herbert's just less inclined to run because when he did it at U of O, he got injured.  

The Rams got some good licks on Josh.  I'll bet he's feeling it today.

Over the season those hits add up and can shorten a player's career.

I hope the reason for running Josh so much was to give opponent's defensive coordinators nightmares.

Hopefully we dial Josh's running back ober the season.

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

Even though this was game #1 of a long season, the magnitude was huge.  It was like they had to prove to themselves they are a legit SB team.  And Josh running around like that was playoff-esque.  I would hope he and the coaches scale it back going forward.  Just no reason to absorb unnecessary contact.  Every sports show on TV today was talking about it.  Slide, go out of bounds, throw the ball into the ground, etc,,  I think we will see more of that going forward, and then in the playoffs he will unleash the running Josh again.

Even beyond making a statement it was a huge game.  The first half of the schedule is loaded with tough matchups and beating the rams gives us a lot more margin of error. Now we’ve got a win and a mini bye week to prepare for the titans and get to 2-0.  Getting to 4-2 or even 5-1 at the bye would be great cuz after a tough game against gb the schedule cools off a lot in the back half.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The guy is just a different animal at the position and he really looks invincible… but he’s not and all ll it really takes is one hit on one with one of these designed runs to knock him out cold or seriously injury him…. I’m with you but I don’t think Allen can really shut that aspect of his game off. 

Yea. I'm gonna take Allen at his word he just loves to play the game and that part of the game he seems to motivate him and certainly you see a little extra effort from many of our players and that's a result of Allen's style.  Injuries can happen at any time even doing just everyday things.  I'll take a Josh Allen who is having a blast playing his way over a cautious timid Allen who's hesitancy could cause him to be too slow to avoid a harder hit and injured on a play he routinely avoids by his athleticism.

2 hours ago, 1997WS6 said:

Running backs are done at 30 years old.  Brady is still going at 45.

There are also plenty of pocket QBs who don't last nearly as long as Brady. Look at the Manning's. Look at Matt Ryan winding down now at only 37.

Allen will still be able to throw the ball. He's not just a RB playing QB. Like I said, everything Allen ran was calculated and he was never in an awkward position. The awkward, scarier hits he's taken in the past have come when a play is breaking down or he's trying to avoid sacks. Think the Joey Bosa tackle. QBs get hurt in the pocket.

I don't see Allen's career being affected much by normal tackles. As long as he's smart about it, he can run plenty.

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That was a scary hit IMO.  But doesn't that sort of counter the complaint about Allen running too much and taking a beating, since that particular hit took place when Allen was in the pocket?

I actually had the thought that maybe Allen came out in the 2nd half and said "I got sacked and hit in the first half, Imma run away from that big *****a Donald now, the DBs hurt less when they hit"

I think with Allen it's easy to think the highlighted...........and totally forget that sometimes a QB actually needs to give up on plays and throw the ball away and avoid hits ALTOGETHER.

Giving up on a play that's not working is not even an option in Allen's mind right now because he knows if he runs the ball around 10x per game..........they will score 30+ points and probably not even have to punt the ball.

But the defense gave up just 10 points.

The game is not played "on paper" so you can't count on the defense always allowing under 20 points...........but it's important to remember that the defense is the more heavily invested side of the football..........they shouldn't need to be carried on Allen's back for 17 regular season games.    

I thought McDermott made a very insightful comment when he was asked about Allen's running and implied that Dorsey needs to call plays that don't encourage Allen to run.    This was exactly what I was suggesting earlier in this thread.........when you call plays that make it tempting to tuck and run then you are asking for him to do it.   When you are trying to protect Allen from his own competitive nature you have to call plays accordingly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Weird that this happened when he was in the pocket as a passer...

Not weird at all.   He tried to get away from and get positive yardage when there was little to be gained and ended up taking a very violent hit.

Like I said to @Beck Water..........sometimes the objective needs to be to not take hits AT ALL.............it's not an inevitability that Allen gets hit like that just because he's playing QB.    Tom Brady has gone entire seasons without taking a single hit that violent.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not weird at all.   He tried to get away from and get positive yardage when there was little to be gained and ended up taking a very violent hit.

Like I said to @Beck Water..........sometimes the objective needs to be to not take hits AT ALL.............it's not an inevitability that Allen gets hit like that just because he's playing QB.    Tom Brady has gone entire seasons without taking a single hit that violent.  

So what did you want him to do in that situation? 

I agree with OP.  Football injuries…. It’s not an if, but a when.  Best way to stay upright is to avoid contact, which is not part of Josh’s DNA.  

My other, less popular concern is that Josh is embarrassing defenders… stiff-arming, juking, laughing, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I love it!!!   But worried that soon, some knucklehead is gonna get p!ssed and intentionally go low on him.  At the level Josh and the team are playing, the only way to knock off the Bills is to knock out JA17… If Bountygate was still a thing (I pray it’s not), I feel like Josh would’ve been the ultimate prize.

Regardless, this dude is just such a stud. He is the most exciting player in the NFL, and I don’t think there is a close second. 

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I don't get as concerned as many others do. The dude is 6'5" 250 lbs, he's bigger than all DBs and most LBs. Just listen to some defenders about him. Darius Leonard said he hit the dude with everything he had and he got ran over anyway. Joey Bosa during a game was like "What am I supposed to do, let him run me over? He's f@$#in' huge!" I mean yeah I'd rather he not get walloped by DL as big as he is but that's part of the game and he knows how and when to protect himself. 

I also find it kind of odd that nearly every time Josh takes off for a run there has to be chatter about "oh he needs to be careful, he could get hurt, coach won't like that one!" Yet when Lamar Jackson is out there racking up 125 yards on the ground every game everyone's just, "Wow what an amazing player he is, the running is such a big part of his game!" I mean for cripes sake the Ravens redesigned their entire offense because of his running ability. I'm sure they're concerned about injury as well but it seems like you never hear much about that. But noted Monstar Josh Allen trucks over a 5'10" 185 lb DB and it's yappidy yap from 37 talking heads about how he needs to be careful. 

I think the difference in how Lamar runs vs Josh, is that Lamar is slippery.  Seems that he’s usually (not always) pretty good at avoiding the big hits. Vick did it well too. 

Josh loves the contact and everyone knows it. He wants to run you over. I get pumped when he stiff arms someone through the turf… but I also get pretty pumped when he runs OB or slides!

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do people keep saying this?? 

We played in SF in 2020… don’t recall if fans were allowed in stands that game though. 

They weren't.

Josh's girlfriend said he had 200+ friends & family there last night. Glad he was motivated, just want him to be careful.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

Good thread… Good discussion…

It is up to McDermott… He is the Coach… He set a goal for the team when he came to Buffalo… just like Von Miller and others… To win a Super Bowl…

Pegula and Beane gave him the tools… and the team, the organization and fans are all in… The goal is in sight this year…

Fact is, McDermott needs to protect his most important franchise player…

Coach needs to sit Dorsey and Allen down and make them appreciate if Allen gets hurt, will be much more difficult for the Bills to reach their goal…

Dorsey and Allen need to respect the goal, the organization, the team, and the fans… Play to win every game… whatever it takes… Do their jobs…And do them smart… 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.