Allen's frequent running

Success

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Many of those runs were by choice. A couple of those were good licks... Josh stood up and smiled... EVERY TIME!

Its like he needed to be hit...

im not worried

we talked about (Its like he needed to be hit...) last night during the game- he goes from sugar high josh to in control after some contact

• Awesome! (+1) 1

His running is a valuable part of our offense, but it needs to be used more judiciously and JA has to be more conscious of the situation

Up by 3 TD's late in the game no way no matter what

Fighting for an extra yard on 3rd or 4th down to get a 1st down - Yes

Fighting for an extra yard to make it 2nd and 7 versus 2nd and 9. Just go down and move on to the next play

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

That's probably true, but when the QB in questions run 10-15 times a game and rarely slides, I think those stats go out the window... 

Those stats are true over 100 years of football

In the pocket your stationary getting hit by 300 pound behemoths

Outside the pocket you’re getting hit by cornerbacks and safeties, And linebackers that Josh is bigger than

he’s not flutie running around… He’s literally the biggest alpha male on the field

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Those stats are true over 100 years of football

In the pocket your stationary getting hit by 300 pound behemoths

Outside the pocket you’re getting hit by cornerbacks and safeties, And linebackers that Josh is bigger than

he’s not flutie running around… He’s literally the biggest alpha male on the field

So was Cam Newton...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Read my post before that where I literally say not every player is the same

And I literally say he is not Cam Newton

You can’t compare him to Cam because they are not the same

By that rationale, the study you cite is useless as well, because “every player is different.”  So which is it?

Of course there are a LOT of similarities between Josh and Cam Newton…they may not be identical but the comparison is valid.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Designed runs for Josh when the Bills are up 3 touchdowns...Hate, hate, HATE IT!  

Singletary was averaging 6 freakin' yards per carry and you do designed QB runs and hand off's to Moss.  It's boneheaded.  

Agreed.  Motor has to be the bell cow. He's extremely talented.  Give him 15 -20 carries a game instead of running Josh or Moss/Cook

• Like (+1) 1

Agree 100% it’s not if it’s when he gets injured if they keep running him this much. You draft cooks in 2nd round for a reason. The fumble doesn’t mean anything. Give your most talented players the ball. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Read my post before that where I literally say not every player is the same

And I literally say he is not Cam Newton

You can’t compare him to Cam because they are not the same

They’re almost identical in size and strength lol 

Edited by Awwufelloff

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

By that rationale, the study you cite is useless as well, because “every player is different.”  So which is it?

Of course there are a LOT of similarities between Josh and Cam Newton…they may not be identical but the comparison is valid.

They are two different points… Sure physically they might look comparable

But every single player takes hits differently… Every player recovers at a different rate… And every player trains their body differently

But statistically most quarterback get hurt inside the pocket… It doesn’t matter if you’re small big jacked or chubby… You’re getting hit in a worse position by bigger people

As others have said he calls his own number.

He likes the physical aspect of football. It's part of the reason why he is so great, but also needs to do a better job protecting himself. I believe someone said Devin mentioned Josh laughing and smiling after the runs. He loves it! Being a Wyoming grad, and now following him with buffalo, this has always been the case. They tried to get him to slide at Wyoming too. He just hates it.

7 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Agree 100% it’s not if it’s when he gets injured if they keep running him this much. You draft cooks in 2nd round for a reason. The fumble doesn’t mean anything. Give your most talented players the ball. 

They’re almost identical in size and strength lol 

Not every 6 foot 5 240 pound person is equal? 

That’s pretty simple

Just because cam broke down doesn’t mean Josh will … Most running backs break down before 30

Curtis Martin led the league in rushing at 31… Players are different

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They are two different points… Sure physically they might look comparable

But every single player takes hits differently… Every player recovers at a different rate… And every player trains their body differently

But statistically most quarterback get hurt inside the pocket… It doesn’t matter if you’re small big jacked or chubby… You’re getting hit in a worse position by bigger people

I don't disagree, but it doesn't mean there is zero risk associated with running outside the pocket, and that risk goes up with each carry.  When a QB turns himself into a running back 10-15 times/game, the risk of injury goes up.  Don't think opposing LBs won't want to give Josh a little extra, and when he runs like that, he loses the protection that comes with being a quarterback in the pocket; he's just another ball carrier.  And of course, Josh is not immune from being hit in the pocket too; it's not an either/or; he's going to take both kinds of hits over the course of a season. 

• Agree 1

I don't get as concerned as many others do. The dude is 6'5" 250 lbs, he's bigger than all DBs and most LBs. Just listen to some defenders about him. Darius Leonard said he hit the dude with everything he had and he got ran over anyway. Joey Bosa during a game was like "What am I supposed to do, let him run me over? He's f@$#in' huge!" I mean yeah I'd rather he not get walloped by DL as big as he is but that's part of the game and he knows how and when to protect himself. 

I also find it kind of odd that nearly every time Josh takes off for a run there has to be chatter about "oh he needs to be careful, he could get hurt, coach won't like that one!" Yet when Lamar Jackson is out there racking up 125 yards on the ground every game everyone's just, "Wow what an amazing player he is, the running is such a big part of his game!" I mean for cripes sake the Ravens redesigned their entire offense because of his running ability. I'm sure they're concerned about injury as well but it seems like you never hear much about that. But noted Monstar Josh Allen trucks over a 5'10" 185 lb DB and it's yappidy yap from 37 talking heads about how he needs to be careful. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Shula and the Panthers RUINED Cam through overuse and not protecting Cam from himself.

No they didn't. Cam sprained his shoulder making a tackle after throwing an interception and the shoulder never healed right. It had nothing to do with his play style. It was a fluke injury.

46 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I don't get as concerned as many others do. The dude is 6'5" 250 lbs, he's bigger than all DBs and most LBs. Just listen to some defenders about him. Darius Leonard said he hit the dude with everything he had and he got ran over anyway. Joey Bosa during a game was like "What am I supposed to do, let him run me over? He's f@$#in' huge!" I mean yeah I'd rather he not get walloped by DL as big as he is but that's part of the game and he knows how and when to protect himself. 

I also find it kind of odd that nearly every time Josh takes off for a run there has to be chatter about "oh he needs to be careful, he could get hurt, coach won't like that one!" Yet when Lamar Jackson is out there racking up 125 yards on the ground every game everyone's just, "Wow what an amazing player he is, the running is such a big part of his game!" I mean for cripes sake the Ravens redesigned their entire offense because of his running ability. I'm sure they're concerned about injury as well but it seems like you never hear much about that. But noted Monstar Josh Allen trucks over a 5'10" 185 lb DB and it's yappidy yap from 37 talking heads about how he needs to be careful. 

So was Cam Newton. Cam was more athletic then Allen is. I don’t mind Allen scrambling around the pocket, but the designed runs need to stop. Especially when we’re in the lead. 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.