Allen's frequent running

Success

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - I checked and didn't see anything. And was surprised, because I thought this would be a hot topic today.

I loved the game last night, and Allen is one of the best players I've seen.  That's not hyperbole. He can do literally everything out there.

But he's running too much.  It can't be stated more simply than that.  The Bills can have a long run with JA at QB, but only if he's on the field.  He's such a good passer - I was really hoping the new OC would change our usage of Allen somewhat, and cut down on designed runs and putting him in the thick of things up the middle.

I don't think it's sustainable. Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 16
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I disagree with this "he's going to get hurt" thing from fans.  Why?  He's 6'6 and 240 lbs... and can take linebackers for a ride.

Why aren't you worried about Matt Milano getting hurt with all the running and thumping he does?  Josh is a LOT bigger!

Sure, there's a risk of injury every time Josh runs around, but I don't think it's close to what fans think it is.

I do support him NOT RUNNING at all against bad teams or when the score is run up. 

We need all we have against the big boys, though, and Josh running is the most dangerous thing we do.

I've been saying that for 3 years now and it's still true.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ehh...I didn't love the runs when they were up late in the game, but Allen is going to do what he does...just have to live with it.  He typically doesn't take those type of hits like he did last night. It's like he was wanting to send a message to both the Rams and his teammates to set the tone for this season....that he was going to do whatever he had to do to win. Kinda like he said after McDermott's postgame speech when he broke the team down.  "It doesn't matter how we get the win, only that we get the f*****g win!!"

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ve been on my high horse about this for two years.

He has 20 more games to play if we are going to hoist a Lombardi.

His passing skills are very good. I understand the need to scramble when the pass rush is taking itself too far upfield …. But that’s a choice. I don’t understand 4th quarter, by design, when the game is in hand because it is incomprehensible.

The only argument for might be to get many different plays on tape to give DCs things to think about and to set up for future offensive subterfuge.

Shula and the Panthers RUINED Cam through overuse and not protecting Cam from himself. It CAN happen and then we are just a good team without a QB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I could be wrong, but I think a number of those runs were Allen's choice on RPOs.

Yep. It's Allen being Allen and the OC has no control over that.

While I want Allen to be safe, the guy knows what he's doing and his runs get the team fired up. Allen is the leader and he leads by example. I also never thought he was in an awkward position and vulnerable. They were calculated runs. He's not a frail guy, so he can take normal tackles as well as any RB.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Success said:

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - I checked and didn't see anything. And was surprised, because I thought this would be a hot topic today.

I loved the game last night, and Allen is one of the best players I've seen.  That's not hyperbole. He can do literally everything out there.

But he's running too much.  It can't be stated more simply than that.  The Bills can have a long run with JA at QB, but only if he's on the field.  He's such a good passer - I was really hoping the new OC would change our usage of Allen somewhat, and cut down on designed runs and putting him in the thick of things up the middle.

He took a pretty good beating yesterday.   Fortunately he was well off the ground when Donald sacked him and his neck snapped back.    I think it's going to be hard to get him to stop running if they keep him in the shotgun all the time though.   He's gotten used to not punting and now it seems like an obsession to not give up on a series.  Even late in the game when the result was no longer in doubt.    If they want to impose a limit on him they might have to do it schematically.........line him up under center,  pound the ball from traditional running sets and use play action to set up your passing game.   The style they are playing might be the most efficient way to move the ball now but they need to find a balance between moving the ball and not putting hard miles on Allen.    Can't have him running 10x every game.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Many of those runs were by choice. A couple of those were good licks... Josh stood up and smiled... EVERY TIME!

Its like he needed to be hit...

im not worried

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I could be wrong, but I think a number of those runs were Allen's choice on RPOs.

"O" being the key letter in "RPO".   Just don't give him the option.  Run smarter plays to protect your QB when your up 3 touchdowns.

If they want to sprinkle some in here and there....fine.  If Josh can scramble to get a first down....fine.

The designed run in the 4th up by 3 touchdowns had me really scratching my head.  The was another, 3rd quarter maybe, Josh was damn near held up horizontally while the Rams Dline was trying to tear him in half.  And ( I believe ) that was a designed run up the middle.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.