Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

8 minutes ago, Lost said:

No, it's only problematic because "you" perceive it to be.  I disagree.   As I stated before, many insults and derogatory terms have been around society so long that they are universally applied and their original meaning has little relevance today.   It's todays generations who want to psychoanalyze everything to find hidden offensiveness like how salt is racist.   

Some words/phrases do tend to universally agreed on by society to be too egregious and are eventually phased out.  This usually happens over several generations however.  I'd say the term "eat a d*ck" isn't quite there yet but probably on its way out based on reading this thread.  As someone who grew up listening to 90's rap however, to me they are just words. 

It is not only me who perceives it to be. You disagree, of course you are entitled to. But to some of us the offensiveness isn't hidden. Not at all. To you they might just be words.... not everyone's lived experience is the same as yours. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lost said:

The purpose of an insult is generally to accuse people of something they are not so it gets under their skin.   Some insults have become so universally used in society that their original meaning has no relevance.   Brits like to throw around the C*nt word a lot and use it indiscriminately towards people of any gender or sexual orientation.    

No relevance to whom? 

Maybe the women of GB have opinions about using a synonym for ***** as a way to denigrate or insult someone.  Maybe they don't make a fuss because they need to "go along to get along" and Pick their Battles, doesn't make it right.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4

My two bit coins?.. I know it’s worthless….

Lamar is liked, but he isn’t the brightest bulb.

when he was out injured, the team was still competitive which says how much of it is it system vs player.

as a free agent, I don’t think he will get as many buyers.  Many teams passed over him as a QB.  You see with Wilson failing in denver it amplifies the system fit vs raw skill.

7 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

when he was out injured, the team was still competitive which says how much of it is it system vs player.

as a free agent, I don’t think he will get as many buyers.  Many teams passed over him as a QB.  You see with Wilson failing in denver it amplifies the system fit vs raw skill.

Reminds me a little bit of Roscoe Parrish. 

Lamar is unquestionably very important to the Ravens success. They started 8-4 last year with him as QB and when they had to rely on backups they went 0-5 down the stretch (even if they kept the games close). 

25 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Reminds me a little bit of Roscoe Parrish. 

Lamar is unquestionably very important to the Ravens success. They started 8-4 last year with him as QB and when they had to rely on backups they went 0-5 down the stretch (even if they kept the games close). 

How does he remind you of Roscoe Parrish?

I always find it interesting when people defend a certain phrase as not being insulting — but they are not members of the group the phrase is argued to be insulting to.

Let's ask gay people if they find the phrase "eat a d***" insulting, not straight people.

At one time, some racist white people tried to argue the N-bomb was not racially targeted and could be applied to white people. Well, that argument didn't last and I don't think too many black people (some feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption) agreed with it.

Don't assume that a phrase isn't hurtful if you're not part of the target group that some maintain it's hurtful to. White people shouldn't tell black people what should or shouldn't hurt them; straight people shouldn't tell gay people what's hurtful to them.

I think it might just be common human decency. 

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

I always find it interesting when people defend a certain phrase as not being insulting — but they are not members of the group the phrase is argued to be insulting to.

If you really do find this interesting, you are going to LOVE it here.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How does he remind you of Roscoe Parrish?

As I highlighted in the post I responded to...he's not the brightest bulb.

I'm not trying to say that Lamar's football IQ is as low as Roscoe. He definitely understands the game at a high level. 

Just saying I don't think either guy would've received an academic scholarship if football fell through. 

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm not trying to say that Lamar's football IQ is as low as Roscoe. He definitely understands the game at a high level. 

Just saying I don't think either guy would've received an academic scholarship if football fell through. 

I don't recall Roscoe Parrish displaying any semblance of stupidity the way Lamar Jackson does every time he opens his mouth or tries to write a sentence in English.

49 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

The Ravens were 7-5 with Lamar vs 1-4 without him last year.  Maybe we should ask "what does competitive mean to you?"

As a free agent, in a league where dual threat QB like Hurts are mopping up and Nathan Peterman is still being activated on gameday, I think the market for Lamar as a FA would be huge, but I don't think it's gonna happen.  The Ravens will franchise him if need be.

Wilson is crapping the bed in Denver for the same reason he crapped the bed in Seattle:

1) he got a swelled head and became uncoachable.  "Let Russ Cook" "I'm the best QB in the league".  He decided he no longer needed to play within the offense and follow the design of a play, he knew better.

2) a lot of Wilson's success was built on mobility and the ability to create outside of structure and that seems to be gone

In addition:

3) he's playing hurt.  People expect QB to be bionic if they're out there, but if the football is a fraction off at the QB's shoulder, it's gonna be a couple of feet off at the target and that's the difference between completions, drops, or picks.

4) Wilson doesn't seem to have won the hearts of the receiving corps there in Denver and they're making 'career decisions' instead of climbing the ladder or laying out

So far, Lamar seems willing to follow the design of his offense and is still in his prime for mobility.  Big difference between 34 and 26 there.  He's also by all accounts a supremely likeable guy his teammates go hard for.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Let's ask gay people if they find the phrase "eat a d***" insulting, not straight people.

At one time, some racist white people tried to argue the N-bomb was not racially targeted and could be applied to white people. Well, that argument didn't last and I don't think too many black people (some feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption) agreed with it.

Don't assume that a phrase isn't hurtful if you're not part of the target group that some maintain it's hurtful to. White people shouldn't tell black people what should or shouldn't hurt them; straight people shouldn't tell gay people what's hurtful to them.

I think it might just be common human decency. 

Is Lamar Jackson allowed to be offended if someone calls him trash?   

14 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm gonna go ahead and take back what I said about Roscoe ...

https://www.tmz.com/watch/090519-roscoe-parrish-4626502-0-4klzkdzx/

3 minutes ago, Lost said:

Is Lamar Jackson allowed to be offended if someone calls him trash?   

Yes, of course he is. I don't think as a professional he should respond in any way to that but of course he is allowed to be offended. But his response is not the same. It doesn't only insult the person to whom he is responding it insults a group of other people in society too. I said it in my very first post after the tweet, if he had left it at "MF never smelt a football field" it would still be an ill-advised, unprofessional, response. But it would not have been as bad as throwing an offensive slur that is demeaning to gay men in. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not only me who perceives it to be. You disagree, of course you are entitled to. But to some of us the offensiveness isn't hidden. Not at all. To you they might just be words.... not everyone's lived experience is the same as yours. 

There are roughly 8 billion people on Earth.  Each of those people has a different lived experience.  If your expectations are for everyone to think through everything they say/write before doing so, in case it will offend one or more of those 8 billion, I have a pretty big spoiler alert for you.  Can you guess it?

IMO it was not a good idea for Lamar to respond at all.  Given that he decided to respond, IMO he chose the content of his response poorly.  I’m not a fan of his response.  I also have no right to decide if or how he speaks.

Is there ANY reason to think his response was in ANY way directed at anyone other than one person?  It may show some underlying prejudice Lamar harbors, or he may just think of it as his version of “go jump in a lake”, but it is clear it was directed at one person and one person only.

There are roughly 8 billion people on Earth.  If each of us truly want to look into the hearts of the other 7.9999999B and demand no one think or say anything offensive, that will be an effort in futility.  

I am not a fan of lumping people into groups and try my best to view everyone as an individual.  I get that people have been oppressed because of their membership in a group throughout the course of history. I think we as a species will eventually be able to overcome this, but it won’t be immediate and won’t be easy even if that would be beneficial.  Assuming Lamar Jackson harbors animosity toward an entire group because of words he typed to one person, does not help move the ball forward IMO.  It moves it backward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

There are roughly 8 billion people on Earth.  Each of those people has a different lived experience.  If your expectations are for everyone to think through everything they say/write before doing so, in case it will offend one or more of those 8 billion, I have a pretty big spoiler alert for you.  Can you guess it?

IMO it was not a good idea for Lamar to respond at all.  Given that he decided to respond, IMO he chose the content of his response poorly.  I’m not a fan of his response.  I also have no right to decide if or how he speaks.

Is there ANY reason to think his response was in ANY way directed at anyone other than one person?  It may show some underlying prejudice Lamar harbors, or he may just think of it as his version of “go jump in a lake”, but it is clear it was directed at one person and one person only.

There are roughly 8 billion people on Earth.  If each of us truly want to look into the hearts of the other 7.9999999B and demand no one think or say anything offensive, that will be an effort in futility.  

I am not a fan of lumping people into groups and try my best to view everyone as an individual.  I get that people have been oppressed because of their membership in a group throughout the course of history. I think we as a species will eventually be able to overcome this, but it won’t be immediate and won’t be easy even if that would be beneficial.  Assuming Lamar Jackson harbors animosity toward an entire group because of words he typed to one person, does not help move the ball forward IMO.  It moves it backward.

I don't assume that. But that does not change my view on what he said at all. It was offensive and demeaning to gay men. He should not have said it, he should be called out for saying it. Rather than the "storm in a teacup" crowd who essentially give it a pass. I haven't called for him to be banished from the NFL, or even sanctioned. I have said it is not okay and also not a good look for a man trying to convince his franchise he is the mature face of the franchise leader they should commit a fully guaranteed long term contract to. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.