Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Nobody cares how Lamar actually feels about gay people. It's irrelevant to the fact he directed a homophobic slur at someone on Twitter.

It always reminds me of the defence of the soccer player who just smashed an opponent's leg into pieces that will take them a year and a half to come back from with a reckless challenge when the assailant's manager says "he is not that kind of player." 

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't recall Roscoe Parrish displaying any semblance of stupidity the way Lamar Jackson does every time he opens his mouth or tries to write a sentence in English.

I have fond memories of listening to Roscoe Parrish post game interviews as a kid. Almost incomprehensible world salad. Doesn't help that he had a thick accent 

He's probably lucky his career was pre-twitter (or maybe he would've been smart enough to avoid it altogether) 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Lol in 2022 S-A is less of a big deal than "homophobic remarks"

What are you even talking about? Deshaun was suspended and his story dominated the media cycle for months.  Seasoned Browns fans abandoned the franchise and they went from lovable losers to league villains.  24 hours later, no one really cares about what Lamar said and there will be no punishment.  There is no comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It always reminds me of the defence of the soccer player who just smashed an opponent's leg into pieces that will take them a year and a half to come back from with a reckless challenge when the assailant's manager says "he is not that kind of player." 

interesting analogy in that all those who claim to be offended are like the “floppers” in soccer. You’d swear they all had their legs smashed into pieces. 

I digress - Lamar should simply not have responded in the manner he did.

• Eyeroll 3

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, of course he is. I don't think as a professional he should respond in any way to that but of course he is allowed to be offended. But his response is not the same. It doesn't only insult the person to whom he is responding it insults a group of other people in society too. I said it in my very first post after the tweet, if he had left it at "MF never smelt a football field" it would still be an ill-advised, unprofessional, response. But it would not have been as bad as throwing an offensive slur that is demeaning to gay men in. 

Who is putting football fields on iron deposits and small fish?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't assume that. But that does not change my view on what he said at all. It was offensive and demeaning to gay men. He should not have said it, he should be called out for saying it. Rather than the "storm in a teacup" crowd who essentially give it a pass. I haven't called for him to be banished from the NFL, or even sanctioned. I have said it is not okay and also not a good look for a man trying to convince his franchise he is the mature face of the franchise leader they should commit a fully guaranteed long term contract to. 

I agree he shouldn’t have said it.  I agree it’s not a good look.

Where I disagree is the “calling out” part….not entirely, just to a degree.  We need to get to a point where we just shake our heads and think “idiot”.   Some measure of public shaming is useful in some circumstances, but assuming he harbors deep seeded hatred and “calling him out” for it, labeling him a homophobe and/or demanding apologies/re-education, etc. is over the top and can cause unnecessary backlash.  He said something idiotic that wasn’t directed gay men in general.  He didn’t think it through.  

Expecting all people think through everything they say is incredibly unrealistic.  Think about your normal day.  What percentage of your sentences are truly thought out?  Be honest.  I don’t mean just potentially offensive things, I mean anything.  People are not wired to have all measured and thought out logic before speaking at all times.  Being offended by that isn’t always well thought out either.  Don’t get me wrong, there are times to be offended, it’s just that it happens way too often IMO.  

If we don’t get to the point where we’re ignoring most idiotic things or writing them off to temporary….or permanent….idiocy of an individual, we’ll go in these counterproductive circles forever, especially as technology becomes even more pervasive and there are more offensive things to be found.  Assuming ill intent/xyzaphobia rather than looking for real evidence of it, is a bad idea.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree he shouldn’t have said it.  I agree it’s not a good look.

Where I disagree is the “calling out” part….not entirely, just to a degree.  We need to get to a point where we just shake our heads and think “idiot”.   Some measure of public shaming is useful in some circumstances, but assuming he harbors deep seeded hatred and “calling him out” for it, labeling him a homophobe and/or demanding apologies/re-education, etc. is over the top and can cause unnecessary backlash.  He said something idiotic that wasn’t directed gay men in general.  He didn’t think it through.  

Expecting all people think through everything they say is incredibly unrealistic.  Think about your normal day.  What percentage of your sentences are truly thought out?  Be honest.  I don’t mean just potentially offensive things, I mean anything.  People are not wired to have all measured and thought out logic before speaking at all times.  Being offended by that isn’t always well thought out either.  Don’t get me wrong, there are times to be offended, it’s just that it happens way too often IMO.  

If we don’t get to the point where we’re ignoring most idiotic things or writing them off to temporary….or permanent….idiocy of an individual, we’ll go in these counterproductive circles forever, especially as technology becomes even more pervasive and there are more offensive things to be found.  Assuming ill intent/xyzaphobia rather than looking for real evidence of it, is a bad idea.

I disagree. We need to keep calling it out. Relentlessly. The "shrug your shoulders" attitude does nothing to drive meaningful change. You don't get to decide when other people are allowed to be offended. What Lamar said was offensive. Whether he actually thinks that or not is totally irrelevant. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I always find it interesting when people defend a certain phrase as not being insulting — but they are not members of the group the phrase is argued to be insulting to.

Let's ask gay people if they find the phrase "eat a d***" insulting, not straight people.

At one time, some racist white people tried to argue the N-bomb was not racially targeted and could be applied to white people. Well, that argument didn't last and I don't think too many black people (some feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption) agreed with it.

Don't assume that a phrase isn't hurtful if you're not part of the target group that some maintain it's hurtful to. White people shouldn't tell black people what should or shouldn't hurt them; straight people shouldn't tell gay people what's hurtful to them.

I think it might just be common human decency. 

The insult lies with telling someone to go do something that would not be within their preferred range.....not really anything to do with a specific group of people.

• Like (+1) 2

I disagree. We need to keep calling it out. Relentlessly. The "shrug your shoulders" attitude does nothing to drive meaningful change. 

OR .... maybe the gay guys who are offended by things like this can just stop being gay!

@Jauronimo - Where are we with that patch?  We're a decade in!!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

The insult lies with telling someone to go do something that would not be within their preferred range.....not really anything to do with a specific group of people.

But to that specific group of people him suggesting that guy do something not within his preferred range because it would be demeaning is offensive. It wasn't just insulting to that guy. It was insulting to gay men. 

• Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, of course he is. I don't think as a professional he should respond in any way to that but of course he is allowed to be offended. But his response is not the same. It doesn't only insult the person to whom he is responding it insults a group of other people in society too. I said it in my very first post after the tweet, if he had left it at "MF never smelt a football field" it would still be an ill-advised, unprofessional, response. But it would not have been as bad as throwing an offensive slur that is demeaning to gay men in. 

Just about every insult or slur is going to be offensive to someone or some group in some form or another if we dig deep enough.  It would be nice to live in a society where people didn't insult each other, but until we're all a bunch of drugged up mindless robots, fear, greed, anger, envy are all real human emotions and backlash is normal human behavior.   Every one of us has said things we've regretted in life.  Lamar said what he said, he then deleted the tweet.  Forgive, forget and move on.   The internet has become a little too preachy in my opinion. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Exactly , not much different than if Lamar told him to eat 💩 or to kiss his posterior. To MOST people this would be an insult. That a few who may feel differently are unhappy about this being perceived as insulting is a nothing burger. Doesn’t matter and a giant “ don’t care”. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But to that specific group of people him suggesting that guy do something not within his preferred range because it would be demeaning is offensive. It wasn't just insulting to that guy. It was insulting to gay men. 

Not offensive to anyone but that guy. It was an insult not a bouquet. The issue is should the pro jock lash out on twitter, not what insult he decided to throw at the guy. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. We need to keep calling it out. Relentlessly. The "shrug your shoulders" attitude does nothing to drive meaningful change. You don't get to decide when other people are allowed to be offended. What Lamar said was offensive. Whether he actually thinks that or not is totally irrelevant. 

This is the problem. We keep putting value in victim statuses. Ignore the asshats and move on. The people who get joy out of being white knights are tools, the pleasure people get in screaming at others over such things are the worst of people. 

With tic TOC and the term Karen and all the ***** in this world it's ridiculous. That barstool said Lamar "bodied" the guy is a hilarious. Little Joe nobody said something innocuous on the internet. Lamar Jackson, big dumb sportsball man gets kerfuffled and responds like big dumb sportsball mans do. Lamar is just big dumb sportsball man.

Also, on the value scale of victim status, it's hilarious that Jackson is a minority himself attacking a "marginalized" group.

8 minutes ago, Lost said:

Just about every insult or slur is going to be offensive to someone or some group in some form or another if we dig deep enough.  It would be nice to live in a society where people didn't insult each other, but until we're all a bunch of drugged up mindless robots, fear, greed, anger, envy are all real human emotions and backlash is normal human behavior.   Every one of us has said things we've regretted in life.  Lamar said what he said, he then deleted the tweet.  Forgive, forget and move on.   The internet has become a little too preachy in my opinion. 

forgive and forget has been replaced with remember and vilify.

there are plenty of dumb things said by us all. Just be prepared to face the spotlight and those who won’t let it go. 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not offensive to anyone but that guy. It was an insult not a bouquet. The issue is should the pro jock lash out on twitter, not what insult he decided to throw at the guy. 

This is not correct.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

This is the problem. We keep putting value in victim statuses. Ignore the asshats and move on. The people who get joy out of being white knights are tools, the pleasure people get in screaming at others over such things are the worst of people. 

With tic TOC and the term Karen and all the ***** in this world it's ridiculous. That barstool said Lamar "bodied" the guy is a hilarious. Little Joe nobody said something innocuous on the internet. Lamar Jackson, big dumb sportsball man gets kerfuffled and responds like big dumb sportsball mans do. Lamar is just big dumb sportsball man.

Also, on the value scale of victim status, it's hilarious that Jackson is a minority himself attacking a "marginalized" group.

No attempt to be a white knight here. Just a desire for that sort of offensive crap to be called out when it happens. I don't want to be a victim. But I have been victimised. I know what it feels like. I have seen friends end up in hospital. I won't stand by and watch it. Sorry if that annoys you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

There are roughly 8 billion people on Earth.  

Just broke 8 billion last week...

NEW YORK (CBS) - The world's population has now reached an estimated 8 billion people. The honor of the 8-billionth person goes to a baby born in the Dominican Republic Tuesday. A projection from the United Nations calls the birth a "milestone in human development."Nov 16, 2022

This is not correct.

Maybe , but that is absolutely the part that doesn’t matter. If Lamar says to eat 💩 to a fan, that’s bad behavior. Not because it may make a few who enjoy doing this uneasy or mad. After some of these responses I actually like Lamar a little bit more than I did before. 

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure how finding something unappealing offends someone who finds the same thing appealing?

Do you think if Lamar would have thought the guy was homosexual, he would have made the same joke? Nope. Not a chance. Same with a woman.

Why would that be? Because it is demeaning to someone who does not prefer that.

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I am not sure how finding something unappealing offends someone who finds the same thing appealing?

Do you think if Lamar would have thought the guy was homosexual, he would have made the same joke? Nope. Not a chance. Same with a woman.

Why would that be? Because it is demeaning to someone who does not prefer that.

Because when as a gay man someone thinks "suck dick" is a way to insult a straight man they do it because they think being a gay man is lesser than being a straight man and that is why the straight man will be insulted by it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And the inference that it should "get under someone's skin" to be accused of being gay because being gay is something they should be somehow ashamed of is problematic. What Lamar said was not okay.

Oh stop this is beyond ridiculous.  The same line he said is always said towards women as well and also considered offensive. It's not in any way a anti-gay thing its just a purely offensive thing to say towards a man or woman and a statement of blatant disrespect. 

I'm sure if someone told your wife mother, or daughter to bleep a bleep you and she would both be highly offended. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.