Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He deleted it. Still can’t believe he said it.

Yeah that's crazy.  He HAD to have had a bad day or something, and a momentary lapse in sanity......I had to re-read the other guys comment again to see if I maybe missed something, but to me, it was quite benign....

Edited by smuvtalker

4 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I wouldn't be in the market for him. This is a passing league. I don't care about the MVP or how athletic he is. He's got a ceiling over his head in how far he can take you and will decline more rapidly than just about any QB in the league. 

It sure is, but even so, Lamar is a top 10 QB. Even if he does play a physical style of football, he’s very young and he has fresh legs. I would argue that he has another 4-5 years left in him.

He should absolutely hire an agent though! $45M is too much, but I think he’s worth $35-38M AAV no problem. If he is a FA though there will be a bidding war. Would hate it if he ended up with the Jets! Great player!

23 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Doubtful. It won't be from Baltimore, but teams will be lining up to pay a former MVP QB. 

I can't see a team passing on Lamar because he told a guy that he eats ***** when there are numerous criminals in the league (which is fine by me; i want to see the best athletes compete, i dont care if they are good people)

Wow. You don’t care if a criminal plays? You need to reevaluate your priorities 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When you get right down to it, telling a fan to eff off is free speech. What's shocking is that level of frankness from an athlete.

56 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sure, but I own a business.. If I want to tell a client to eat a d!ck, that’s my right… not great for my bottom line though. 

Yeah but he also has to deal with the fact he doesn't just own a business, it's more like he owns a franchise and corporate doesn't like their franchise owners speaking like that as it hurts the overall bottom line, not just his own.  Likely there will be ramifications from above.

Just now, Victory Formation said:

It sure is, but even so, Lamar is a top 10 QB. Even if he does play a physical style of football, he’s very young and he has fresh legs. I would argue that he has another 4-5 years left in him.

He should absolutely hire an agent though! $45M is too much, but I think he’s worth $35-38M AAV no problem. If he is a FA though there will be a bidding war. Would hate it if he ended up with the Jets! Great player!

I wonder what it looks like outside of a Roman offense. I doubt he is going to get the Baltimore treatment somewhere else. IMO, it could look much worse, but what they're doing with him right now won't allow for things to get much better. We have seen the best the Ravens can be with Lamar and in that system. It's never going to progress or get better, nor is it ever going to be bad. Just not good enough. I don't want all these questions with a guy I need to pay 200 million dollars to. I don't want questions when I spend that type of money. 

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He deleted it. Still can’t believe he said it.

Not in a million years would JA17 say it, let alone write it, let alone public post. I just love that our guy is a decent person. The world needs civility, let it start with people making $100M+.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Wow. You don’t care if a criminal plays? You need to reevaluate your priorities 

Nope, not one bit. I would watch prison ball if it were televised, it was entertaining, and you could bet on it. I don't put players on a pedestal; I realize there are some great and terrible guys. My chances of interacting with one are slim, so their character doesn't matter, just their skillset.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I wonder what it looks like outside of a Roman offense. I doubt he is going to get the Baltimore treatment somewhere else. IMO, it could look much worse, but what they're doing with him right now won't allow for things to get much better. We have seen the best the Ravens can be with Lamar and in that system. It's never going to progress or get better, nor is it ever going to be bad. Just not good enough. I don't want all these questions with a guy I need to pay 200 million dollars to. I don't want questions when I spend that type of money. 

As far as QB rankings by salary goes, tell me where you think Lamar fits in:

1. Aaron Rodgers $50M AAV

2. Russell Wilson $48M AAV

3. Kyle Murray $46M AAV

4. Deshaun Watson $46M AAV

5. Patrick Mahomes $45M

6. Josh Allen $43M AAV

(this is where it gets really sketchy)

7. Derek Carr $40M AAV

8. Matthew Stafford $40M AAV

9. Dak Prescott $40M AAV

10. Kirk Cousins $35M AAV

11. Jared Goff $33M AAV

12. Carson Wentz $32M AAV

13. Matt Ryan $30M AAV

14. Ryan Tannehill $29M AAV

15. Tom Brady $15M AAV

I would argue that Lamar fits into that top 7-10 range.

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

If Baltimore let him walk I bet he would end up in Seattle 

Or with the Giants, Jets or Saints.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Nope, not one bit. I would watch prison ball if it were televised, it was entertaining, and you could bet on it. I don't put players on a pedestal; I realize there are some great and terrible guys. My chances of interacting with one are slim, so their character doesn't matter, just their skillset.

That’s the problem with our world today right there. 

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

3. Kyle Murray $46M AAV

5. Patrick Mahomes $45M

6. Josh Allen $43M AAV

7. Derek Carr $40M AAV

9. Dak Prescott $40M AAV

11. Jared Goff $33M AAV

13. Matt Ryan $30M AAV

15. Tom Brady $15M AAV

I don't find what your saying unreasonable by any stretch. Again, he's just not what I want, but in a world where the best guys get paid the best (not this list) I would say around 10. 

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

On the list of world problems, my attitude toward professional athletes should be pretty far down. 

It’s the bigger picture actually. Peoples disregard for integrity, morals etc for their own entertainment. I’m not talking specifically about you. 

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

This tweet is going to cost him more than any mediocre performance on a given Sunday

100%. 

The writing off of Lamar Jackson happens every time the Ravens lose a football game. Why does it never transpire? Because he wins 2/3s of his games in the regular season and while there have been times when it has been possible to put that down to his supporting cast (his MVP year to an extent), this season his oline has struggled, Andrews has missed time and Bateman is now out long term. As much as the ceiling remains a legitimate question it is really hard for a football team to get itself off a QB who has done what Jackson has done. 

However, that tweet is a really bad move. Any player chirping at fans on social media comes across badly. When it is your franchise Quarterback, and when it is in the terms that it was.... that is double trouble. If he'd just left it at "you've been capping too much and mf never smelt a football field" that would be one thing. It is probably then salvageable with a quick deletion and a grovelling "emotional after a tough loss" apology. But the end of that tweet is a homophobic slur. And that is not something as an NFL franchise you can just look past and let go especially from your face of the franchise. 

For the first time I actually think you might see the Ravens decide this is not worth the combination of on field ceiling and off field immaturity. The good news for Lamar is even if they do there will be a franchise out there desperate enough to take that swing. Yes, I'm looking at you Carolina Panthers....

6 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

3. Kyle Murray $46M AAV

5. Patrick Mahomes $45M

6. Josh Allen $43M AAV

7. Derek Carr $40M AAV

9. Dak Prescott $40M AAV

11. Jared Goff $33M AAV

13. Matt Ryan $30M AAV

15. Tom Brady $15M AAV

In terms of play on the field he deserves more than Wilson and Murray but less than Mahomes and Allen. But as I keep saying the QB pay scale isn't about worth, just timing. Almost every single one of those deals was a top 3 deal when it was signed. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For the first time I actually think you might see the Ravens decide this is not worth the combination of on field ceiling and off field immaturity. The good news for Lamar is even if they do there will be a franchise out there desperate enough to take that swing. Yes, I'm looking at you Carolina Panthers....

That would be amazing Lamar - starter, Baker - 2nd string, Darnold -3rd string .. add in Rosen for the practice squad and you have Hard Knocks gold

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lamar's tweet literally made me laugh out loud!

Two things,

1.  He never should have posted that for a hundred different reasons that I don't need to explain.

2.  Every football player in the NFL loves Lamar Jackson even more this morning.  You know they have to read the crap that a bunch of us arm chair warriors post about them everyday and they want so much to respond, but they don't do it.   Well, Lamar did it.

😀

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.