Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t disagree, but they have built that team from the ground up specifically for Jackson.  

If they move on - they become an afterthought n a good division- just like last year when he missed time.

The Ravens have little choice but to either sign him long term and try to keep rolling him out or tag him and try to get a Watson style package back rebuild the offense to fit someone new.  

A comp pick isn’t enough - they need the 3 1st round picks and several other pieces to move the rebuild along in my opinion.

I think that the Ravens like his backup a lot. That makes it a bit easier to let Lamarr go for a bundle of picks.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Part of me wonders if LJ isn't getting pissed at the narrative that he can't play QB like other guys do and a special offense has to be built around him.  Maybe he wants to go somewhere else and try and prove that he can be effective in a normal offense. I don't think he will be because I think he is limited in what he can do as a QB due to lack of arm strength to push the ball outside the numbers on deeper throws, but I wouldn't be surprised if he really thinks he can and is irritated and wants to show everyone else that.

There is nothing wrong with his arm strength.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, billykay said:

I think that the Ravens like his backup a lot. That makes it a bit easier to let Lamarr go for a bundle of picks.

There is nothing wrong with his arm strength.

I don’t disagree, but Huntley was only 1-3 last season as a starter versus 7-5 for Lamar.  I think the Ravens like him, but it is not like he is something special - I think they still need to get something if they are moving on from Jackson.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I imagine the Ravens will block that by tagging him one or two more years - Ala Kirk Cousins.

Then they can even look to move him for a premium of picks.

I don’t think Lamar really sees FA at this time - they will use him up and then move on.

The problem with tagging him is that it will be a LOT of money and there will be no manipulation of the cap with it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Malazan said:

The problem with tagging him is that it will be a LOT of money and there will be no manipulation of the cap with it. 

Yep, but compare that to letting him walk in free agency for maybe a 3rd round comp pick.

You can use it as either an extension to signing him long term - although now you set the parameters of 42-45 million a season or you use it as a way to trade him if needed for picks.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Imagine having an agent who never went to college negotiating a 1/4 Billion dollar contract for you. Baltimore Ravens licking their chops right about now. 😂 

I doubt it. 100% the Ravens would prefer an agent to be involved. The deal would be done if he had one. 

Just now, Malazan said:

I doubt it. 100% the Ravens would prefer an agent to be involved. The deal would be done if he had one. 

At this level it’s all on the fine print. You need an experienced agent/lawyer who understands contracts and business law not a high school graduate. Sad but true. Ravens are $4+ Billion corporation with the best of the best corporate lawyers. They are going to eat his lunch.  

1 minute ago, wppete said:

At this level it’s all on the fine print. You need an experienced agent/lawyer who understands contracts and business law not a high school graduate. Sad but true. Ravens are $4+ Billion corporation with the best of the best corporate lawyers. They are going to eat his lunch.  

The Ravens would prefer to have the deal done over whatever things they might slip past him. You're way off base if you think teams are looking to 'screw over' their star players. What provision do you expect to exist in his contract that would be worth it?

Just go listen to Beane on how much he values the relationships with agents. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Pretty sure he can’t go anywhere if he’s tagged.

If he wants serious money, dude needs to step up his game. He’s got skills.  I just don’t see him as top 5, and maybe just outside the top 10.  Not a pure passer.

Josh elevates his teammates.  Josh is a stud.  Lamar certainly is no Josh.

Yeah....he would have made a good WR!

56 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t disagree, but Huntley was only 1-3 last season as a starter versus 7-5 for Lamar.  I think the Ravens like him, but it is not like he is something special - I think they still need to get something if they are moving on from Jackson.

1-3 yes, but that squad was so banged up last year, it’s hard to use it as an example. Lamar is certainly better than Huntley, but Huntley did look serviceable in my opinion, and he’s the perfect backup to Lamar. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Will anyone pay him what he wants though?

I got uh, lemme see here...a secret decoder ring from the gumball machine I got at Ames in 1987. I've got a used car mat. One slinky. A broken VCR and a sock full of nickels. The Backyard Fat Guys have signed Lamar Jackson. 

3 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

1-3 yes, but that squad was so banged up last year, it’s hard to use it as an example. Lamar is certainly better than Huntley, but Huntley did look serviceable in my opinion, and he’s the perfect backup to Lamar. 

Agreed, but Lamar was 7-5 with the same injured squad prior to his injury.

Huntley has looked good - especially Preseason against Vanilla teams.  Even coming in he has showed well, but even putting up nice numbers - he could not get the wins that Lamar got costing them a shot at the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Agreed, but Lamar was 7-5 with the same injured squad prior to his injury.

Huntley has looked good - especially Preseason against Vanilla teams.  Even coming in he has showed well, but even putting up nice numbers - he could not get the wins that Lamar got costing them a shot at the playoffs.

Yeah, Huntley isn’t a star. The point I was trying to make is, Huntley could lead a good team. He’s definitely serviceable, but the AFC is ago stacked at QB, you pretty much need a star QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.