Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

They need to move on. He's not a god QB

The ravens can get a decent comp pick for him. I think tag and trade is unreasonable. He's not their future. They need something for something. 

I don’t disagree, but they have built that team from the ground up specifically for Jackson.  

If they move on - they become an afterthought n a good division- just like last year when he missed time.

The Ravens have little choice but to either sign him long term and try to keep rolling him out or tag him and try to get a Watson style package back rebuild the offense to fit someone new.  

A comp pick isn’t enough - they need the 3 1st round picks and several other pieces to move the rebuild along in my opinion.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

I'm sure the Baltimore FO knows this.  Them not getting this deal done more likely speaks to the Lamar Jackson experience being done in Baltimore in the next 1-2 years.  The FO has built a team and offense that amplifies all LJ's strengths and tries to minimize all of his weakness'.. but between failures in the playoffs and LJ's smaller frame, I think the FO is realizing that winning a Superbowl with LJ is not likely (because of what it takes to win playoff games) let alone sustainable.

I realize this is quite the hot take..  but if I was a GM in the NFL, I would think twice about investing a lot of money in Lamar Jackson because of what you need around him to win and take advantage of his skills

Go Bills!

I mean you aren't wrong, but if he goes to FA, someone is going to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t disagree, but they have built that team from the ground up specifically for Jackson.  

If they move on - they become an afterthought n a good division- just like last year when he missed time.

The Ravens have little choice but to either sign him long term and try to keep rolling him out or tag him and try to get a Watson style package back rebuild the offense to fit someone new.  

A comp pick isn’t enough - they need the 3 1st round picks and several other pieces to move the rebuild along in my opinion.

Damned it they do. Damned if they don't. Pull the band aid and move on

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

They can tag him if need be - I think they can tag him 2 years in a row?

Opinion here but unless he's appreciably leveled-up his passing game, Lamar is going to have some hard learnings if he moves away from Roman.  I think he's a system QB right now and Roman's system is proven ideal for a running QB who can throw deep well enough to keep teams from stacking the box.

See: Taylor, Tyrod.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I mean you aren't wrong, but if he goes to FA, someone is going to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

110% agree.  Somebody will try to make it work.  But unlike other Top End FA Qb's (and they are rare), LJ is not plug and play.  The right fit is most likely a bottom tier team where the fans would be patient for the roster turnover needed to build a team around him.  

8 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

It is a gamble. It really comes down to injuries. I think he is banking on being healthy enough to get a big contract next year. The longer he waits the more he makes. It isn't a bad plan, but the risk is huge considering how he plays. A broken leg, a ruptured spleen (I'm not being funny; remember Bledsoe), or something else catastrophic and he will look like a fool. But, barring anything career ending, he is adding tens of millions to his deal by waiting. 

I agree. It really would take a catastrophic injury though. Dak got paid right after his ankle exploded. That kind of injury would obviously be worse for Lamar, but if he avoids major injury he will make a lot

more money this way. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jackson holds all of the power in this situation. He can force their hand to pay him the money he wants or he can force his way out of Baltimore in another 3 years. As long as he stays healthy, he will collect some healthy FT checks the next two seasons after this one at the least. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

110% agree.  Somebody will try to make it work.  But unlike other Top End FA Qb's (and they are rare), LJ is not plug and play.  The right fit is most likely a bottom tier team where the fans would be patient for the roster turnover needed to build a team around him.  

Part of me wonders if LJ isn't getting pissed at the narrative that he can't play QB like other guys do and a special offense has to be built around him.  Maybe he wants to go somewhere else and try and prove that he can be effective in a normal offense. I don't think he will be because I think he is limited in what he can do as a QB due to lack of arm strength to push the ball outside the numbers on deeper throws, but I wouldn't be surprised if he really thinks he can and is irritated and wants to show everyone else that.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Jackson should leave. 

I completely think it's very dumb that he doesn't have an agent, but the Ravens are not putting him in a position to show that he can be more than a gimmick runner.  The Ravens WR core is arguably the worst in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

If I'm him I go in to FA and look to head to Houston, Seattle, anywhere else.

I could see him in Seattle. Run heavy team philosophy, uncork a few deep passes to Metcalf, play defense.

Of all the other teams in the NFL, I think Seattle would be able to install a Jackson friendly offense.

Still think Baltimore is his best fit though.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Pretty sure he can’t go anywhere if he’s tagged.

If he wants serious money, dude needs to step up his game. He’s got skills.  I just don’t see him as top 5, and maybe just outside the top 10.  Not a pure passer.

Josh elevates his teammates.  Josh is a stud.  Lamar certainly is no Josh.

It's hard for me to evaluate whether he's a passer based on how the team has treated the passing game (and not putting any resources into receiving weapons)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.