Week 1 - Bills 31 ~ Rams 10 - Morning After Breakdown And Reaction

H2o

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Crowder had 2-3 yards on the defender and was wide open. That ball was thrown late by Allen. He wasn't being pressured, he just waited too long and made a bad throw.

724855269_AllentoCrowder.thumb.jpg.207564378914e6d5b827ee2c11aa72e7.jpg

I agree with all that.  

That doesn't mean it gives Crowder a free pass not to come back to the ball on that throw. It actually makes it MORE important he do so, not less.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No...sorry, the WR has to come back to the ball on that play. It wasn't a great throw but if Crowder does the fundamentals he is taught it was a pass breakup not an INT.

I can almost 100% guarantee you in the film room sessions the Bills have this will get brought up.

Any time a CB cuts across a WR face like that on an INT on a crossing route it's partially on the WR for not driving back to the ball. That's something you learn in high school and maybe even in Pop Warner nowadays.

Agreed.

Allen is a QB who gives his guys a chance to make plays. Sometimes that trust is rewarded, sometimes its not. But he's never gonna be the guy who always makes the throw with the least amount of risk. 

Hopefully Crowder and McKensie both realize they're in a truly enviable position playing with a QB like that and step their game up. 

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I can guarantee Chad Hall is going to give him the business for letting Hill undercut that route and cross his face. That's a huge no no for a WR on a crossing route.

Turk, 

Some people love football.

Some of us KNOW football. 

And its no disrespect the the poster we replied to its just that we see the game different.

On that note take away a dumb int and a crazy fumble? I said before the game that this would not look close.... that our rookies would look much better then some thought... that Von will have an effect on this game.

I still stand by that.

If the Bills can't land OBJ later in the season, I'd like to recommend they try Desean Jackson. If he still has that speed, he'd be a serious weapon offensively and as a return man on special teams. I thought the special teams coverage was outstanding yesterday and kept noticing Jaquan Johnson on many of the tackles

Edited by Solomon Grundy

Just now, Big Turk said:

I agree with all that.  

That doesn't mean it gives Crowder a free pass not to come back o the ball on that throw. It actually makes it MORE important he do so, not less.

Under certain situations, I would agree with you. In this instance, by the time Allen released it and the location in which he placed it, would have made it difficult for Crowder to break off his route and come back to Allen. When Allen was releasing that ball, Crowder still had room and had all the reason in the world to continue on his route. IMO, that was on Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

While the throw to Crowder wasn't great, he could have made a better play on the ball by coming back to it instead of allowing the CB to cut across his face like that...if he did that we would have been talking about a nice pass breakup by the DB instead of an INT.  Not a great throw, but Crowder didn't help him either.

IMO, any time a CB cuts across a receivers face on a crossing route like that, the WR bears some blame for allowing it to happen.

I commented after the game about the Hill INT.  I found a reply of the play.  When Crowder came off the line it looks to me that he wanted

to be a little shallower in his route but S Nick Scott (#33) was directly in his way.  Crowder chose to go deeper to get around him.

If he went shallower, he would have not been past the chains.

It seems to me it threw off the route and timing.  Should Allen not have thrown the pass?  In hindsight yes. 

Should Crowder tried to come back some?  In hindsight, yes.   Crowder also slowed down because Josh didn't throw quicker.

He could have kept moving to keep Hill behind him.

My opinion is that it was not really all Crowder's or Allen's fault but just one of those plays that happens.

I say all this not to lay blame or try to cover up blame for either player. 

Just find it interesting and would love to hear the team discuss this play when they watch it.

https://www.therams.com/video/highlights-rams-cornerback-troy-hill-intercepts-bills-josh-allen

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

No...sorry, the WR has to come back to the ball on that play. It wasn't a great throw but if Crowder does the fundamentals he is taught it was a pass breakup not an INT.

I can almost 100% guarantee you in the film room sessions the Bills have this will get brought up.

Any time a CB cuts across a WR face like that on an INT on a crossing route it's partially on the WR for not driving back to the ball. That's something you learn in high school and maybe even in Pop Warner nowadays.

It was a crossing pattern, not a curl route.

You're as wrong as the day is long.

• Like (+1) 1

It's not all sunshine and lollipops people .... The punting game didn't do anything well last night.

just sayin .... LOL out loud

I think I heard somewhere that the Bills haven't punted in four of their last five games (I'm too lazy to look it up), but if that's a fact, being the Bills punter HAS to be the best job in the NFL.

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, wjag said:

A few more things I have thought about.

1. Bass kicking that ball out of bounds was brutal and led to Rams points. How does that happen indoors? 

This play was than any of the turnovers the Bills had.

2. The ST play to open the third was one of the pivotal plays of the game.  Pinning them back and forcing a punt was huge.

Definitely. It appeared to fire up the defense.

3. The play of the night for me, and it didn't work, was the endzone throw to Diggs.  Allen acted like he was going to rush up the middle and then he throws late to Diggs.  That was a Mahommes-esque kind of play.  The lineman can't release downfield for that to work.

Watching Allen roll to the right and then just toss it on the run was amazing in itself.

4. The Gabe Davis TD was a perfect and I mean perfect game fake.

Great execution on that play.

5. Poor Cook.  A bad way to start your NFL career.  That fumble will have lingering effects on his playing time.  And it did last night.

Every rookie is allowed to have one "rookie moment" in the season. Last night was Cook's moment.

6. Knox was really not in the game plan.  I figured he would be, but those quick hitch passes were not his jam.

Probably my biggest complaint with the offense. Knox lined up as an H-Back too much last night. Why? Isn't that why we have Gilliam?

7. Kupp was dangerous all night and yet not very dangerous.

Yes and yes.  

8. R-E-S-P-E-C-T..  Nationwide, coast to coast.

Damn right!

9. Bills put so many things on film last night.  That has to scare and demoralize the competition.  Heck even Keyshawn was forced to admit it today.

The NFL is on notice.

10. Von's impact on this team can't be overstated.  We now have two pillars on this team, Allen and Von. The ying and the yang.

I was just as thrilled as everyone when we signed Miller, but boy, seeing him last night was a real eye opener.

Shout out to our resident ogre@jkirchofer for all of his pessimism talk and McDermott's inability to adjust in games during the 1st half thread. He disappeared during the 2nd half thread. I wonder what happened?

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills did not have a perfect game and I liked hearing Allen talk about cleaning things up. Still, it was a helluva effort and the intensity was playoff level. The overall play was so good that I just don’t think it’s worth nitpicking at the negatives. It’s a long season and, based on what Allen said, the team sure looks focused on ironing those out. I’d just like to sit back and enjoy this ride.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

I said this to myself when Josh threw that pass to Crowder.  It was late, and it was behind Crowder.  Josh's fault.  He'd tell you that himself. 

At halftime, I had my usual Billsfan's angst - "We're gonna blow this game."  My worries were quickly put to rest in the third quarter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.