The Ripoff Report: Game Thoughts

WhitewalkerInPhilly

I am shamelessly stealing this format, because I am pumped for the day and see no current thread up.

• I have to give it to Dorsey. Yes, the offense has miscues, but for the most part the issues were in execution, not design. Considering that the starters had relatively little playing time in preseason, sloppy play (while not excusable) is an inevitable byproduct of trying to keep starters fresh for the season. I might quibble about exactly how best to handle our rushing attack, but it worked against a pretty good defense and one of the best D-linemen in the game.
  • On that note, I want to spend a moment praising how the Bills handled Aaron Donald in particular. Yes, we had the benefit of being able to prioritize against him, but whenever he was one on one he showed why he is so dang good. So the Bills addressed the personnel mismatch with scheme. They ran shifts to take him out of a clear path. Donald was still a force, but the Bills didn't allow him to take over the game, and that is really the best you can ask for when dealing with such an elite player. 
  • The Rams invited the Bills to dink and dunk on them early. This was not a surprise to me. What did surprise me was how fast and accurate Josh was getting the ball off. I know he gets the reputation of being an improviser who can make magic out of broken plays, and that reputation is well earned. But this is the guy who everyone (including myself at draft night, hello eating crow) screamed was inaccurate, and he had a single pass hit the ground all night. If Allen can do this against a solid secondary, and this balance continues they are going to be a nightmare to scheme against.
  • Feed Motor. I don't hate Moss, but at this point there is a clear pecking order. I don't hate keeping Moss as a backup, but I will not shed any tears for him being placed on the inactive list.
  • The usefulness of a fullback in the modern NFL is a hill I will die on. Gilliam showed why with some of those blocks on an all-Pro linebacker.
  • I said it elsewhere already, but I saw why the Bills paid Von Miller all that money. It isn't just that he had some nice sacks, it's that his presence opened up room for the others. We've been waiting for Rousseau, Basham and Espenesa to break out, and all notched sacks as well. If their growth continues, this D-line can be scary.
  • I am not calling for a red alert over Elam not starting, even as Benford got torched. Considering they had the task of guarding last years triple crown winner, the fact that he was contained as he was while starting 7th and 6th round picks as your starting outside CBs is stunning. I think Elam slowly works his way to a starting role and overall I think the CB situation in general is good enough that we have the luxury of letting Tre White come back healthy.
  • Overall, there are miscues but the first game of the season is always wonky. I am licking my chops at the idea of playing a Titans team with a busted secondary and lesser WR and QB talent.
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The crazy part was, they had 4 turnovers and still demolished the SB Champs at home by 21 points. Could have easily been 30 or 35 without those turnovers as 2 of them came in FG range. No punts. 7 sacks and 16 QB hits with only 1 blitz the entire game. No Tre White. 6th round rookie at CB2 with Elam rotating in, 7th round pick at CB1. Rams had 130 yards of offense they 3 quarters. Just utterly mind boggling how good this team can be.

What are they going to do to teams with far less talent when they don't turn it over?

This could just get scary this year. Expecting the Bills to lead the NFL in point differential again by a wide margin.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I know the Bills are really good, but do you think the Rams will be a top team this year? Based on what I saw, I don't think they will be a top 10 team in the league

Someone might have said that about the Bills after game 1 last year.  They have all the ingredients for a top 10 team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Nice comments.  Thanks.

I particularly like your comments about Gilliam.   Man, he was stuffing people in the hole.  It was really fun to watch.  I haven't seen any news; I hope whatever happened to him last night wasn't serious.  Did he come back?

What I haven't seen is any discussion about ball security.   I've always disliked how McKenzie catches the ball, and we saw it again last night.  The first interception was on him - ball was there, catch it on the first touch, don't hand it off to the defender.  Even his TD catch looked like he double caught it.   Cook's and Moss's  fumbles both were sloppy.   They need to be better. 

On the other hand, I want Crowder on the field more.  He doesn't have ball security problems.  I like the way he catches punts, and he had several very nice, secure catches. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I know the Bills are really good, but do you think the Rams will be a top team this year? Based on what I saw, I don't think they will be a top 10 team in the league

Yeah, cause the Bills only beat the weakest teams.

Sure... I got it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I think the loss of Miller really hurts their defense - for both their DL and the DBs.  Ramsey has always been boom or bust (like Diggs brother).  When he makes the INT he's great, but he gets burned a lot too.

I couldn't believe how little they used Allen Robinson last night.  

I don't think they'll be NFC favorites, but they're playoff caliber.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am shamelessly stealing this format, because I am pumped for the day and see no current thread up.

• I am not calling for a red alert over Elam not starting, even as Benford got torched. Considering they had the task of guarding last years triple crown winner, the fact that he was contained as he was while starting 7th and 6th round picks as your starting outside CBs is stunning. I think Elam slowly works his way to a starting role and overall I think the CB situation in general is good enough that we have the luxury of letting Tre White come back healthy.

Torched--  I believe that is too harsh of a word to use. He was targeted 5 times- giving up 3 catches for 55 yards... Maybe the yardage is big here but it was against one of the Top 3 Wrs in the game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, DasNootz said:

I think the loss of Miller really hurts their defense - for both their DL and the DBs.  Ramsey has always been boom or bust (like Diggs brother).  When he makes the INT he's great, but he gets burned a lot too.

I couldn't believe how little they used Allen Robinson last night.  

I don't think they'll be NFC favorites, but they're playoff caliber.

Sean McVay’s record speaks for itself.  I have little doubt they’ll remain a contender.  
They still have great playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2

Benford did not get torched. He was playing under coverage for cover 2. Poyer got sucked into the middle on high cover 2 and was not there to be over Kupp and provide a safety to Benford.

However, Benford stuttered on Staffords pump fake, but that's a solid move by a vet QB and that's what happens on experience vs. inexperience. I am not going to beat him up over that too badly despite being a few steps out of place and being late to the play.

It was a blown play but I am not putting that solely on Benford and putting more on Poyer. He's a vet who should not have been fooled knowing there is a rookie there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

you are the first person i've read (haven't read em all) who mentioned aj epenesa.  he kinda lit up the stat sheet for the red headed step child he's been.  obviously von being added is the biggest get, but i think these young guys are improving as well, and phillips is just a monster for us, he loves our d and our d loves him.

• Like (+1) 1

Only 5 penalties for 35 years.  Don't recall any holding calls on O line.  Remember 1 procedure call on Brown, 1 d holding in secondary and one by D lineman.  How does a D lineman hold on a running play anyway??

As far as Elam goes, lets see what happens next couple of weeks.  Kupp is a slot receiver not a traditional outside guy that a boundary CB would normally be covering.  It may be Elam has much better natural skills, but maybe Benford is more cerebral and made a better match up agaisnt a guy like Kupp.  Could also be the past couple weeks in closed practices, they kept Elam outside top get more work, but had Bedford work against slot guys exclusively just for last nights game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bandito said:

My point still stands. The Rams will not be a top team this season. Great win, but this year's Rams team is not as good as last year's.

When the best team in the league makes another team look bad, that does not mean that team is not good. It just means that they are not the best team in the league.

You're just spouting off a common talking point. "We haven't beaten anybody good yet."  No, it's more like, "we haven't beaten anybody better than we are." There may be no one else as good as we are, so just get used to our opponents looking bad.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Bandito said:

The Rams will be good this year. Just not a top team. The Rams are not the best team in the league right now. Don't think they are close to it. I can think of 5-10 teams who would've beat them last night.

How could you possibly say that when these other teams have yet to play a single down of real football? I just don't get the speculation.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Good question.  Is Stafford 100% healthy? Was it rust? Or are the Bills just that good? We shall see but I think we are just that good and are going to see a bunch of blowouts vs playoff teams. 

Especially if this DL does that. They were dominant, especially against the run. LA tried time and time again to get the run game going and were unsuccessful.  Jones and Settle looked phenomenal.  Beane does it again 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

They stted coming into the game they would both play...yeah Benford got the start but the snaps for the two were about equal so really nothing to note imo...this was a zone heavy scheme and I think that benefits Benford whereas Elam is more the man player.....how great it is to know you have these two young CB's behind Jackson and White when he gets healthy...I look forward to what Frazier does with the D then

40 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I particularly like your comments about Gilliam.   Man, he was stuffing people in the hole.  It was really fun to watch.  I haven't seen any news; I hope whatever happened to him last night wasn't serious.  Did he come back?

Gilliam was beating Bobby Wagner to a fruit juicy pulp. In response, Wagner saw Gilliam crossing the formation left to right on a pass that went to the left on a drag behind Gilliam, and he just decided to level Reggie who was neither looking nor expecting to be hit. In other words, a cheap-shot. I was surprised it got absolutely zero mentions, it was a dirty, frustration-motivated play. You saw McD lay into the ref standing there when he came to check on Reggie; that was why.

Gilliam was stunned but did return.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Good question.  Is Stafford 100% healthy? Was it rust? Or are the Bills just that good? We shall see but I think we are just that good and are going to see a bunch of blowouts vs playoff teams. 

Especially if this DL does that. They were dominant, especially against the run. LA tried time and time again to get the run game going and were unsuccessful.  Jones and Settle looked phenomenal.  Beane does it again 

I do think Stafford is rusty - the whole training camp pitch count piece.  But the bills pass rush was beating him up all night.  Sacked a ton, and there were a few where he got the ball off and got absolutely crushed.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.