Amazing stat of the game last night

Bubba Gump

30 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Jordan Philips was dominating in getting into the backfield,  everyone talks about Miller but we now have both size and push up the middle because of the offseason signings including Philips who we should have never let go.

Settle was also a genius pickup.

• Agree 4

All of this was great to see, but what made me the happiest was they did it and didn’t have to sell out to stop the run. That line consistently swallowed ball carriers in the backfield or for no or minimal gain. We haven’t had a line that was able to do that so far in McD’s tenure and it has been the fundamental aspect that has been lacking. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Let's not exaggerate, they did blitz, one of the replay's during the game even keyed in on a bills blitz by Milano maybe that was picked up by the center. They just did not have to solely rely on the blitz to generate pressure.

On that play two d linemen dropped into coverage. Wasn’t a blitz 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Let's not exaggerate, they did blitz, one of the replay's during the game even keyed in on a bills blitz by Milano maybe that was picked up by the center. They just did not have to solely rely on the blitz to generate pressure.

Do a little research before spewing what you think happened.

"The Bills' seven sacks were the most allowed in McVay's tenure with the Rams, who lost two starters from last year's offensive line and attempted to replace them internally. Miller came through, but he was just one contributor on a night when Buffalo didn't even need to blitz once to keep Stafford in check."

That's from ESPN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I disagree on Philips because they ended up signing Butler who did zero in his two seasons with Buffalo.  Go look at the contracts and there were almost the same and Philips is by far the better player.  I do agree with you on Shaq,  who received a huge offer

We totally shouldn't have gone after Vernon Butler, but that was before the Bills became destination #1 in the NFL and they had to throw money at (former Panthers) to get them here. But yeah, he was a crap signing from the get-go, not as cumbersome as Lotulelei but still. Contrast to this year where both DayQuil and Settle were great gets.

26 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

He was just taking Rousseau's line when Greg dropped back as the dime corner.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Ha just posted in post-game thread didn't see this.  It's exactly McD's dream scenario - pressure with front 4 coming in waves.  The depth is ridiculous - Oliver goes down and not a beat lost.  Shaq, who wreaked so much havoc in pre-season, inactive.

Also - just got the feeling whatever 4 are on at any point - they are not going to get pushed around.  Grown-a$$ men.  A physical edge that has been missing for a while.  Will be real interesting to see how Henry likes our new Dline next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, costrovs said:

I want to say it was one of the DT's but Idk...

True that. At that time most people on this board didn't want him resigned, saying that his 9.5 sacks were "coverage sacks" so they don't count. AND he was asking too much... but yet, most people also thought that paying Lawson $13M+/ year was acceptable. Which is what Miami ended up paying him for his 1 year of service.
Lawson - 13M/year - 4 sacks in Miami

Phillips - 10M/year - 2 sacks in Arizona

Butler - 13M/ 2 years - 0 sacks, and he was horrible for us.

Yeah, it 100% would have been better to keep Phillips for that price. 

I'll take 10M/year for his 9.5 "coverage sacks"

I said it was wise to let Shaq go,  but bad decision on letting Philips leave for Butler.  Did Butler even make one big play during his time.  He and Star were trash and Star was one of Beane's worse signings.  I don't want to hear about doing his job, he was average at best and paid 3 times he worth.  Screwed the team during covid and then last season missed so many games when the team needed him

• Agree 2

On 9/9/2022 at 7:55 AM, Bubba Gump said:

If this keeps up (I don't mean 7 sacks every week). But the dominance of the defense....Leslie Frazier is as good as gone.

I dunno. 

Most teams are looking for the new hot OC, not the 60yr old defensive minded coach.  

And I'm sure most owners and gms will know that it's mostly the players making him look good, not the other way around. 

On 9/9/2022 at 7:39 AM, RangerDave said:

I thought this thread would be about the Bills not punting for the 4th time in the last six games!  Why do we even bother wasting a roster spot on these people??  

🙂

While this is awesome, it does not count as much when you have 4 turnovers.

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

I said it was wise to let Shaq go,  but bad decision on letting Philips leave for Butler.  Did Butler even make one big play during his time.  He and Star were trash and Star was one of Beane's worse signings.  I don't want to hear about doing his job, he was average at best and paid 3 times he worth.  Screwed the team during covid and then last season missed so many games when the team needed him

Couldn't of said it better myself. 

On 9/9/2022 at 7:37 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Jordan Philips was dominating in getting into the backfield,  everyone talks about Miller but we now have both size and push up the middle because of the offseason signings including Philips who we should have never let go.

He was not let go unless you are saying they should have tagged him. He choose to go where the money was.

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

You, me and a couple other people on this board are probably the only ones that knew that letting shaq go, and keeping Phillips was the best idea.

Kudos to us for actually using our eyes and common sense. 

• Eyeroll 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:45 AM, Niagara Dude said:

I disagree on Philips because they ended up signing Butler who did zero in his two seasons with Buffalo.  Go look at the contracts and there were almost the same and Philips is by far the better player.  I do agree with you on Shaq,  who received a huge offer

The contracts were not the same.

Phillips was a total bust with Arizona and got $18.5M gtd.

Butler got $9.3M in guarantees.   He was atrocious in a muddled role 2021(after taking a pay cut, which almost never works as a motivating tactic).

But Butler did a fair job filling in for that turd Star Lotulelei as a 1T in 2020.........especially in the second half of the season when their defense improved dramatically.

Both Phillips and Butler(and Star Lotulelei and Trent Murphy and on and on) were grossly overpaid.

But let's not get revisionist with Phillips...........he was a total no-buy-in, non-factor in Arizona.........he was signed to be a run plugger in their 34 front and made no attempt to do that job.   The Bills know he plays run D like he's 250# gap shooter and not his listed 350# or so.........so they just let him be a penetrator and that's why they've been the ones to get the most from him.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I dunno. 

Most teams are looking for the new hot OC, not the 60yr old defensive minded coach.  

And I'm sure most owners and gms will know that it's mostly the players making him look good, not the other way around. 

If you don't have the offense to keep up with the horses than you hire a D minded guy as keeping games close always and easier way to win. See the 2017 Buffalo Bills under D minded coach Sean McDermott.

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Shaq seems to be the same guy whether he’s getting paid now or whether he’s playing for his next contract. 
Phillips, on the other hand … 

I think Phillips feeds off fans/teammates and why been his best here. As he is a skilled player (see 2nd round drafting). Shaq I think is just one of those guy that fit in the Clemson D and just a guy in the NFL sadly. 

On 9/9/2022 at 7:23 AM, TPS said:

There was one play in the 4th Q where someone came flying up the middle and nailed Stafford just as he threw a pass, but unfortunately there was no replay.  Anyone know who nearly decapitated him?

I believe it was Phillips

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The contracts were not the same.

Phillips was a total bust with Arizona and got $18.5M gtd.

Butler got $9.3M in guarantees.   He was atrocious in a muddled role 2021(after taking a pay cut, which almost never works as a motivating tactic).

But Butler did a fair job filling in for that turd Star Lotulelei as a 1T in 2020.........especially in the second half of the season when their defense improved dramatically.

Both Phillips and Butler(and Star Lotulelei and Trent Murphy and on and on) were grossly overpaid.

But let's not get revisionist with Phillips...........he was a total no-buy-in, non-factor in Arizona.........he was signed to be a run plugger in their 34 front and made no attempt to do that job.   The Bills know he plays run D like he's 250# gap shooter and not his listed 350# or so.........so they just let him be a penetrator and that's why they've been the ones to get the most from him.

Phillips isn't a run defender...he had a lot of plays where big runs happened when he was in there...

Seems like he may have gotten better tho...he was in on some big run stuffs against the Rams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.