Jordan Phillips is the best DT on this team.

Pine Barrens Mafia

I loved bringing Jordan back, but man this is short changing Oliver who was a beast last night too while in the game.  

Its not always about the player, its about the scheme and fit.  And for whatever reason, Jordan is a perfect fit in our D compared to how he fit with his other stops.  Glad he is here and hope he stays long after this season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

He had a phenomenal game.  So did Settle and Jones in the run game.  

Team Game !!
 Someon/se will shine each game.

7 sacks from a 4 man and no blitzing  hell yes  and Jordan was a beast yessir to OP

Go Bills

33 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Team Game !!
 Someon/se will shine each game.

7 sacks from a 4 man and no blitzing  hell yes  and Jordan was a beast yessir to OP

Go Bills

Well the d-line is now deep and athletic and can really get tot the QB.  Add that to the fact that we mostly only rush the front 4 and plenty of those sacks become “coverage sacks”, because we have to devote little manpower to blitzing.  This line is gonna be a handful for most teams simply because everyone on it can put pressure and the average 5-man O-line is going to struggle to match up man to man across it with the multiple guys we have.  We also bring in fresh waves on the front 4.   It makes it so much more difficult. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's not even close. This is what I wanted. Impact. Game changing plays. This is what we needed on the DL.

Welcome back Jordan. We missed you.

Actually Ed Oliver is the best but I can see why you would overreact like a fan would.

Phillips is definitely awesome to have back.

Edited by TBBills
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, arcane said:

Phillips is a great pass rusher from DT but he's a huge liability in run defense. Oliver was one of two DTs to br top ten in the nfl in both pass rush and run stop win rates last year. The other guy was named Aaron something or other

OP pretends that this thread is about Phillips but we have all seen his posting history and we know it's not about Phillips at all 

I’ll give you that he’s a better pass rusher than run defender, but “huge liability” is way over the top. His strength is quickness. It allows him to slip run blockers and shoot gaps. He does get manhandled at times when he doesn’t shake the 1st guy. His position has teammates on each hip and a LB behind him. He looked great against both Thursday night. He also plays notably better when he has a great play early in games.

Jordan Phillips had a really nice game with 1.5 sacks and great energy.  I was glad that they brought him back.  The D line as a whole had a great game. 

However Phillips is not better than Oliver.  DTs take on double teams at times, hold the point of attack, clog the running lanes, and force the RB to bounce the play outside which allows someone else to make a tackle.  Oliver consistently does these things at a higher level than Phillips.

Phillips said Buffalo scheme “is the only one that allows big guy to rush passer”

suggesting to me that he’s allowed to take pass rush risk at Buffalo (read: system and players allow as there is backup around him to fly freely)

I liked him before. Sometimes you have to let a guy be himself

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, aristocrat said:

He looks bigger than I remember him. 

Same!  He looks like a monster out there this year size wise with all the athleticism he always had.  On one of his big plays I swear I thought it was Jones and I was like what, thats Jordan?  He seems a lot bigger than I remember.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/9/2022 at 10:17 AM, Big Turk said:

He was going to get overpaid by someone...Bills did the smart thing and get him back at a discount and allow him to pick up where he left off in the same scheme.  As impressive as Miler was last night, Phillips had 2 sacks and led the team in pressures with 6.

He signed with Arizona for 3 years $30MM, that's not overpaying for JP IMO.  Especially when you look at the guarantee number ($18.5MM) on that contract.  Buffalo should've matched that.  I agree with you on the other point, Phillips was just as much of the star on the DL Thursday.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.