Are you concerned about Elam?

Einstein

Not concerned about Elam. He was a reach in the first round. Big upside but poor technique and needs NFL development. He was never supposed to be an immediate impact starter - that was practically a consensus scouting report. He's still on track (albeit Bills got lucky with Benford).

2 minutes ago, julian said:

Did I miss something ? Never heard Elam name at all yet he played plenty of snaps, I thought both rookies held up very very well.

LA gained 193 yards across 49 called passing plays (i included the 2 yard scramble but it barely moves the needle either way).  That's like 4 yards per passing play with 3 turnovers.  The panthers had the worst net yards per attempt in the league at 5.0 last season (the rams were 2nd in the nfl in this category at 7.3 net yards per attempt).  The defense held the 5th best passing offense in 2021 to atrocious stats, I think we're being a bit nitpicky here.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

LA gained 193 yards across 49 called passing plays (i included the 2 yard scramble but it barely moves the needle either way).  That's like 4 yards per passing play with 3 turnovers.  The panthers had the worst net yards per attempt in the league at 5.0 last season (the rams were 2nd in the nfl in this category at 7.3 net yards per attempt).  The defense held the 5th best passing offense in 2021 to atrocious stats, I think we're being a bit nitpicky here.  

Yeah, thanks for adding some details to my caveman thoughts, my concern about life without White for a few games was eliminated last night

Just now, K-9 said:

I choose to feel good about the fact that a sixth round pick is competing with a first round pick for playing time rather than feel bad about a first round pick having to compete with sixth round pick for playing time. 

Agreed, the knock on benford coming out was speed and level of competition.  Speed isn't everything and projecting someone's ability against better competition is always a challenge. 

But he has the size teams covet, he's smart, good tackler, has ball skills - always funny to me when you list all that and then at the end the scouting report says something like "round 7 - priority UDFA".  

Just now, julian said:

Yeah, thanks for adding some details to my caveman thoughts, my concern about life without White for a few games was eliminated last night

Helps the secondary when the d line obliterates the opposition.  The biggest miscue that i saw in the game was the long play to Kupp, and from what i could tell that appeared to be on Benford.  I think it was a cover 2 beater flag route type of thing, so the safety can't get over there but Benford was basically in no mans land.  Still - good game all around.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I choose to feel good about the fact that a sixth round pick is competing with a first round pick for playing time rather than feel bad about a first round pick having to compete with sixth round pick for playing time. 

Not to mention CB is the hardest position to translate college to the pros, outside of QB historically right?

Folks have to remember the Bills don't draft in the top 10 anymore.  Guys like Tre coming out of the box great are RARE. 

If you are drafting blue chip positions like DE and CB in the last 3-4 picks of the first round, they are not normally gonna come out at be stars.  If they were, they would be top 10 picks.

• Like (+1) 2

Some teams just have a knack for identifying and recruiting talent at certain positions. Steelers know WRs. Whether it’s Coach, Leslie and or scouting, Bills know DBs. I expect Elam to develop into a top shelf starting caliber CB. From what I’ve seen he looks at times totally outstanding in man coverage. We will see how he adapts to zone when required to do so. I suspect Tre will be a big help to him. Bedford has been impressive in his consistency. He can play at this level. He’s got a good head and is physical. A football player. On Kupp’s best YAC play last night Bedford not only beat the block but seemed to be using it as a screen. He disengaged cleanly when he had to and was in great position to make the play. Don’t ask me to explain how Kupp managed to run through the tackle. I guess thats just what he does. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why are you pretending that there is an issue? Elam is doing very well by all accounts.

By the way, your screen name has a certain irony…,

Go  Bills!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.