Are you concerned about Elam?

Einstein

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

With how good Benford looks, and with Elam’s contributions coming partially on special teams tonight, it leads the mind to wonder what other 1st round pick we could have acquired rather than a DB that is a depth player in a backfield that is missing it’s starter.

How did Josh Allen do is his first few games, season, etc.?  Beane and McDermott play the long game with their players.  Way too early for this discussion.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Again, Benford played a very similar scheme in college to what the Bills play now while Elam was predominately man and needed to learn off ball coverage. 

Benford clearly had an advantage in terms of understanding how to play and his comfort level in the scheme.

Elam hasn't been bad, Benford just is ahead of him in his comfort level in the scheme and has played well from the word go...he earned the start.

Don't be worried, be happy they found another gem at DB in the late rounds.

Elam is going to be fine and rotated in last night playing about even time with Benford from what they said and looked good. Honestly was there a player who didn't look good on D?

Agree. Benford had an easier transition based on what he played in college. Wasn't like Elam played poorly in his snaps. What a find Benford looks. They did it with Levi and have done again with Dane. But they both had to be brought along slowly. Benford is more physically gifted than both and hits the ground running. Very exciting. White, Jackson, Benford, Elam we might end up being four legit players deep at outside corner. 

• Like (+1) 2

I am much more concerned that we did not get to see our new punter kick.

Which if i check my notes.... is a flat 0.0 TCL (Total Concern Level)

So running the numbers with Elam vs Benford and adjustments for draft position is at a -3.2 TCL, which coincidentaly is at the "just beat the defending SB champs on the road across the country in front of a national audience, with a belly full of wings and beer" level of concern.

All kidding aside, I am so happy that this coaching group does not take any of this into consideration. Best players on the field regardless of draft position, pay, age, vet or rookie mean nothing, make plays and put in the effort. (See OJ Howard, Cody Ford vs Matt Milano, Spencer Brown)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Benford had an easier transition based on what he played in college. Wasn't like Elam played poorly in his snaps. What a find Benford looks. They did it with Levi and have done again with Dane. But they both had to be brought along slowly. Benford is more physically gifted than both and hits the ground running. Very exciting. White, Jackson, Benford, Elam we might end up being four legit players deep at outside corner. 

When White comes back...can we really pull Dane Jackson out?  Do you think it's White and Jackson starting after week 4?

Let's see ... a rookie, in his first-ever NFL game, playing the reigning Super Bowl champs on the road at arguably the toughest position in football, fails to perform flawlessly and I'm supposed to be concerned?  No way.  It's called growing pains.  He'll be fine.  C'mon

8 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Honestly, I am more concerned about Cook. 1st NFL carry and he fumbled. I thought he would be featured a lot more, but threw himself in the dog house immediately which is not good in his case. We all know how McD feels about fumble issues.

As Josh said in his press conf. yesterday... "One play doesnt make a player who they are" or something like that and he was referring specifically to the Cook play.  It sucks that it happened but he'll be back.

• Like (+1) 1

The way I see it Benford was being talked about as one of the best performers all camp. Not just for being a rookie, but in general one of the best players in camp.

This is why it's important to have volume drafts. First round hit rates are much better, but there are a lot of lower picks, including the two all pro safeties, that are day 3 pick stars. Sometimes people get too caught up in draft position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When White comes back...can we really pull Dane Jackson out?  Do you think it's White and Jackson starting after week 4?

Agree Jackson and White.

But i don't see the Bills playing Tre till he gets at least 4 weeks practice in...so i think they will take him off PUP end of WK 4, activate him bye week, plays the Sunday nighter VS the Pack...

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Agree Jackson and White.

But i don't see the Bills playing Tre till he gets at least 4 weeks practice in...so i think they will take him off PUP end of WK 4, activate him bye week, plays the Sunday nighter VS the Pack...

I think that'll drive Tre crazy.  He wants to be out there.  I'm guessing he plays week 5.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.