Are you concerned about Elam?

Einstein

5 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

I am not worried about Elam. However, I think teams choosing 1st round DB's expect them to start and play well pretty much by mid-season. QB's get drafted way higher than they should due to the importance and need of that position, so they are allowed more time to develop.

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion.

a fair point by the OP since we are a team in win-now mode.  But I think of it more as we could have White, Jackson, Benford, and Elam for a long time at outside CB (if we can afford to keep Jackson).  Elam looked okay when he was in.  

Edited by RyanC883

eye brows raised a little since he did not start over Benford but not concerned.  Guys take time to develop and do so at different rates/times.   That really shows Benford outplayed him all preseason, they would have defaulted to the first round pick if it was close.  For me it comes down to is it Benford is shockingly good or Elam shockingly bad.   Based on the on field play of both, they have not been terrible so I think Bedford has just way outperformed his draft position.

These threads are fun. Just FYI, if you actually watched the game last night, you'd have seen Elam in on obvious passing situations. The concerns with Elam are in the run game. Once we were up 14, Elam was on the field more and more. Taron was also out there, Jackson was out there. Coverage by committee.  

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

With how good Benford looks, and with Elam’s contributions coming partially on special teams tonight, it leads the mind to wonder what other 1st round pick we could have acquired rather than a DB that is a depth player in a backfield that is missing it’s starter.

depth in a backfield that plays 3 guys at the position, if not 4, and will almost always be effected by injuries. And is expensive to staff long term too.

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Did you know that Einstein was often mocked early on because people found his thoughts and theories to be inane?

It turned out that his theories were correct, of course, but the lesser intellectually gifted couldn’t interpret it until much time had passed.

That's true and here's a thread of you arguing that the Titans roster is better than the Bills.  Also talking up the Rams.

Start on page 11.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Not concerned. Doesn’t matter to me where in the draft he was taken. 
The Bills have been great at spotting potential and developing the players.

The biggest miss was probably Cody Ford. But there have been far more hits than misses.

Elam just needs some coaching to refine his game. Hopefully, seeing Benford steal the starting position will either light Elam’s fire, or tell us he’s easily defeated. If Benford turns out to be a good starter opposite Tre, so be it. 
I still think the Bills were determined to get a CB early in the last draft, and after the run on corners, Elam was a consolation prize and maybe number 3 or 4 on their draft board. 
To answer the OP directly- No. After seeing the Bills humiliate the defending champs on their home field, not the least bit concerned. 

Edited by SoMAn

Again, Benford played a very similar scheme in college to what the Bills play now while Elam was predominately man and needed to learn off ball coverage. 

Benford clearly had an advantage in terms of understanding how to play and his comfort level in the scheme.

Elam hasn't been bad, Benford just is ahead of him in his comfort level in the scheme and has played well from the word go...he earned the start.

Don't be worried, be happy they found another gem at DB in the late rounds.

Elam is going to be fine and rotated in last night playing about even time with Benford from what they said and looked good. Honestly was there a player who didn't look good on D?

• Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.