2022 MVP: Mahomes wins. Allen gets 1 vote? (42 TDs, 19 TOs, 315 YPG & 63.3%% Comp %--EOY talk 54+)

transplantbillsfan

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

It isn’t over, but Mahomes would need a couple pedestrian games and Allen would have to stop turning it over.

Considering KC’s offense seems to be tailor-made to pump up Mahomes’ stats as much as possible, and the Bills seem to be looking for more balance down the stretch, I don’t think it’s likely.

Not to mention the Bills have a much harder remaining schedule of defenses IMO.

In reality I think Allen would just need to keep pace where he is mostly and get the #1 seed.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Plus all of our remaining games are outdoors in cold weather cities 

Didn't much matter for us last year in the playoffs, did it?

• Thank you (+1) 1

We are finally getting to the good stretch of the season where MVP will be decided. As always, the favorites are the two QB's currently leading the #1 seeds in each conference. That's essentially been the MVP race for the last two decades. Bills can regain the #1 seed this week with a win and losses by the Chiefs and Dolphins.

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t say this as a Bills homer, but I don’t understand the Jalen Hurts love. He’s a good QB, but not MVP level. The Eagles have an all around solid football team. Hurts throws for under 200 yards most games. 

Got to factor in the rushing with Hurts too. He had a 147 yard rushing game last night which in terms of rarity is probably the equivalent of like a 500 yard passing game. And the most important ingredient for the MVP is team record and more importantly conference seeding.  

• Agree 2

JA currently leads the league in YPA rushing (6.9) for the second consecutive season (6.3 last year). Will be interesting to see where he finishes the year. Many of us thought entering this season Allen would maybe have a career low in rushing yards. But looks like he is going to have a career high in rushing yards by quite a bit. He's only 202 yards behind his career high last year of 763 yards and has 6 games left. He's likely to go over 800 yards rushing. 

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

In reality I think Allen would just need to keep pace where he is mostly and get the #1 seed.

Didn't much matter for us last year in the playoffs, did it?

He’s on pace for 17 INTs and 4 lost fumbles. No way he wins with those stats. He essentially can’t have anymore turnovers the rest of the year to have a realistic shot at it.

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Got to factor in the rushing with Hurts too. He had a 147 yard rushing game last night which in terms of rarity is probably the equivalent of like a 500 yard passing game. And the most important ingredient for the MVP is team record and more importantly conference seeding.  

That’s fair, and you’re correct in pointing out the team aspect of the MVP award. I’m not advocating for Josh to be the winner, but I can’t help comparing everyone to Mahomes and Allen. If Hurts is the QB of the Bills, I think our record is much worse. I don’t see him carrying a team in the way other QB’s have. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t say this as a Bills homer, but I don’t understand the Jalen Hurts love. He’s a good QB, but not MVP level. The Eagles have an all around solid football team. Hurts throws for under 200 yards most games. 

Hurts is averaging 232.7 passing yards, 54.3 rushing (so nearly 300 total yards/game), has 25 tds, & 3 ints. He’s been really, really good and does a great job in that system. He definitely deserves to be in the mvp conversation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DapperCam said:

He’s on pace for 17 INTs and 4 lost fumbles. No way he wins with those stats. He essentially can’t have anymore turnovers the rest of the year to have a realistic shot at it.

Allen had 3 consecutive games of 2 Interceptions.  Do you really think that's characteristic of Josh Allen at this point?

Then last week he had 3 TDs and 1 Interception.  If he were to maintain the pace of what he did in the Lions game he'll end the year approaching 50 TDs with roughly a 3 TD to 1 turnover pace.  Considering the yardage pace he's on, that could be fine if the team keeps winning.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hurts is averaging 232.7 passing yards, 54.3 rushing (so nearly 300 total yards/game), has 25 tds, & 3 ints. He’s been really, really good and does a great job in that system. He definitely deserves to be in the mvp conversation.

He also has 2 lost fumbles, so 5 turnovers, but yeah he should be in the conversation.  But the percentage of offense he is in Philly is a pretty far cry from Allen or Mahomes.  Allen averages over 50 yards more per game this season.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He also has 2 lost fumbles, so 5 turnovers, but yeah he should be in the conversation.  But the percentage of offense he is in Philly is a pretty far cry from Allen or Mahomes.  Allen averages over 50 yards more per game this season.

Yeah, Hurts has been very good. He deserves a lot of credit, but I just can’t imagine him being this good without the perfect set of circumstances. I view Mahomes and Allen as once in a lifetime players who can carry a franchise, while Hurts is a major contributor to a very good football team. I don’t mean to take anything away from Hurts, I just think he’s somewhere in the second tier of greatness. People forget that football is the ultimate team game, and QB’s need help too. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s been much better than I realized. It’s likely my bias against the Eagles, but for some reason I envision Allen and Mahomes playing at a high level five years from now. I’d be surprised to see Hurts doing the same, yet I have no idea why I feel that way. It could be the Eagles franchise history of extreme ups and downs, or maybe Hurts strange career at Bama. 

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

I don’t understand why Travis Kelce isn’t in the running for MVP.  He’s on pace for 1400 yards and 17 tds.  I honestly think he is the most impactful player this year.

Ya know... this is such an awesome point. 

I've been thinking a lot about how lucky Mahomes has been over the years to have 2 of the greatest YAC players in the league in Kelce and Hill.  Hill is obviously gone now, but I think Kelce has surpassed Gronk as the greatest TE in NFL history.  That dude is just such an incredible weapon.  And the amount of YAC he gets as a TE is unparalleled.

We just don't have players like Hill or Kelce.  Diggs is going to be a HOFer for sure and is one of the best 3 or 4 WRs in the game today, but it's really primarily because of his Elite route running and reliable hands.  McKenzie is really the only YAC guy we have in our WR corps and did you notice that he got very few YAC on Thanksgiving?

Is this just a scheme thing?  Has the real problem been that our scheme actually requires Allen to be Superman in the passing game too often?  Too many Intermediate to long throws and not enough well designed short passes?  Heck, watching Mahomes and Kelce yesterday, Kelcey was WIDE OPEN on some of those intermediate passes, including one he ran a bunch of yards after for a TD.

Just frustrating.  When was the last time we saw Allen dump a pass that went 10 or fewer yards off to a WR who took it to the house?  Diggs vs. the Patriots a couple years ago when he humiliated Jackson?

On 11/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, balln said:

Allen isn’t elite pin point accurate like mahommes for yac-  But billls don’t have yac weapons anyway

I think this is overstated.  Watch the Chiefs.  Kelce often gets the ball WIDE OPEN!!!

And what's more, he gets them in places in the middle of the field where he can keep running.  We rarely see Bills WRs or TEs get those types of passes.

I think Mahomes is more accurate than Allen, but I don't think the chasm between the 2 is nearly as wide as you insinuate.  The Chiefs are able to just somehow scheme their guys wide open.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:52 PM, John from Riverside said:

As Josh Allen’s arm heals watch his accuracy and rac yards go up

Let's hope and pray this starts tomorrow.  Love that for the first time since his injury he had no real "Limited" designation on the injury report and he was listed as a "Full" participant.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think this is overstated.  Watch the Chiefs.  Kelce often gets the ball WIDE OPEN!!!

And what's more, he gets them in places in the middle of the field where he can keep running.  We rarely see Bills WRs or TEs get those types of passes.

I think Mahomes is more accurate than Allen, but I don't think the chasm between the 2 is nearly as wide as you insinuate.  The Chiefs are able to just somehow scheme their guys wide open.

Let's hope and pray this starts tomorrow.  Love that for the first time since his injury he had no real "Limited" designation on the injury report and he was listed as a "Full" participant.

Yep and TPBF, Josh will have 10 days after this game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.