2022 MVP: Mahomes wins. Allen gets 1 vote? (42 TDs, 19 TOs, 315 YPG & 63.3%% Comp %--EOY talk 54+)

transplantbillsfan

4 hot quarterbacks played in the remnants of IAN.

Jalen Hurts - 16/25 - 204 yds 0 Tds, 1 Int; 16 rushes 38 yds and 1 rushing TD

Trevor Lawrence - 11/23 - 174 yds 2 Tds, 1 Int; 2 rushes 7 yds  - not in MVP discussion but he was trending way up

Lamar Jackson - 20/29 144 yds 1 TD and 2 Int; 11 rushes for 73 yds

Josh Allen - 19/36 213 yds  1 TD 1 Int; 11 rushes for 70 yds and 1 TD

Josh clearly outplayed the other three based on stats. The problem is most QBs don't have multiple horrendous weather games so when people loo at the stats at the end of the season he will likely have less than some others. Just the nature of being in Buffalo. on the flip side it helps our defense look better. 

I suspect at the end of the year the MVP will come from the grouping of Mahomes, Lamar, Josh, and Hurts. 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you either made a HUGE typo 

Or you don’t pay attention to what you posted 

Mediocre?

thus the guffaws because that was a totally wrong statement 

By the Josh Allen standard it was mediocre, yes.

Mediocre does not mean bad.

And note everything I said afterwards that you left out. 

He put the team on his back to win that game. And that's pretty much what he always does at this point.

But you can't pretend a game where he completes 53% of his passes, throws for 213 yards and just 1 TD and 1 INT is a "really good", "great" or "spectacular" game overall. It's not. 

Yes there were drops and tipped balls, but not 17 of both. And some of those drops he could have taken a little steam off the wet ball in the rainy weather to help his WRs... who still should have caught the ball.

Yet, he was Superman when he needed to be despite what I thought was pretty subpar (we can parse this word if you want to as well :flirt:) playcalling by Dorsey--that 4th & 1 was a thing of beauty even though I wish Dorsey would learn what a QB sneak is..

Also, in keeping with the theme of this thread, this was a notch in Josh's cap for the race for MVP with his Herculean effort (words you maybe neglected to read to win that game pretty much by himself... at least on offense.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:10 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Mediocre?

thus the guffaws because that was a totally wrong statement 

Take it up with Joe...

https://theathletic.com/3650756/2022/10/02/7-bills-observations-ravens-win?source=user-shared-article

1. Josh’s throwback game

With how things began for the Bills, some may have been having flashbacks to the last time they were in Baltimore. It dates back to the 2018 season opener, in similarly cruddy weather conditions, where Allen was not yet the starter. The Nathan Peterman-led Bills were boat-raced right from the start, leading to a 47-3 loss. While it was a forgettable day, it was also Allen’s NFL debut. And fittingly enough Allen had to pull out the game script from his first few seasons to get the job done in Baltimore.

The game certainly was not Allen’s best, and not the same, nearly flawless quarterbacking the Bills had from him in last year’s playoffs through the first two games of the 2022 season. There were flaws and throws that nearly resulted in a turnover. There were disappointing moments from the receivers around him, including a bevy of drops, where almost every Bills pass catcher had one. This game was not the offense’s 100-miles-per-hour fastball we’ve seen in the past, but it’s yet another indicator of why the Bills are capable of some extraordinary things this season because of how Allen battled back and helped secure a victory.

The Bills became utterly predictable without a rushing game, and the Ravens did their best to tee off on the Bills and it worked for a while. Up until the two-minute warning of the first half, Allen only completed 5 of 13 passes for 42 yards, an interception on the first drive and one eight-yard scramble to his name. It seemed like the Bills were figured out and compounded it by making continuous errors to give the Ravens chances. From that point forward, Allen, offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey and the entire Bills offense came alive.

Final Thoughts

The Bills were able to check another thing on their to-do list this season. With a victory over another legitimate AFC contender, on the road and in a tightly contested game that they had to battle back from an early deficit, the Bills showed they have the gumption to stay in a game and finish it with a win. It also showed the Bills don’t always need Allen to be at their best, as the defense more than did their part to get the win.

At his current pace, Josh Allen would finish the season with just under 6000 total yards (5991) and 51 touchdowns.

The yardage record is currently Drew Brees with 5562.  

The touchdown record is currently Peyton Manning with 56.  

So he would break the yardage record, and be tied for 4th on the touchdown list.

Considering he will probably sit Week 17, I think we can all agree he needs to pickup the pace.  😁

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

At his current pace, Josh Allen would finish the season with just under 6000 total yards (5991) and 51 touchdowns.

So he would break the yardage record, and be tied for 4th on the touchdown list.

Considering he will probably sit Week 17, I think we can all agree he needs to pickup the pace.  😁

I believe the battle for the #1 seed will come down to the last week, and if so, Allen will play. 

On 10/7/2022 at 1:37 AM, mjt328 said:

These numbers tend to go down once the weather starts getting cold.  We need to find our Running Game.  Go Bills !

On 10/3/2022 at 5:39 PM, Scott7975 said:

I think the style change is a mixture of coverage he is seeing, the time he has in the pocket, and possible a little bit of a difference in Dorsey design.  Maybe that explodes when needed.

Buffalo going after McKissic, signing Duke Johnson and then drafting Cook makes me think it’s all of the above, but definitely some of Dorsey’s design / evolution on Offense.  And that likely is also due to anticipating how teams will try to defend us. 

Duke Johnson is an insurance policy, James Cook has no confidence and the coaching staff refuses to let him play through it, therefore we’re stuck checking it down to Singletary … which is fine … but it’s not scaring anyone out of a two high shell. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Buffalo going after McKissic, signing Duke Johnson and then drafting Cook makes me think it’s all of the above, but definitely some of Dorsey’s design / evolution on Offense.  And that likely is also due to anticipating how teams will try to defend us. 

Duke Johnson is an insurance policy, James Cook has no confidence and the coaching staff refuses to let him play through it, therefore we’re stuck checking it down to Singletary … which is fine … but it’s not scaring anyone out of a two high shell. 

The NFL (and fans) have been on a recent wave of "RBs are expendable! Don't pay them! Ewwww I don't want Saquon Barkley for a 7th round pick..." and we're seeing the fruits of that. All our RBs are top 3 round picks and what do we have to show for it? Singletary is slightly above average, Moss is average, and Cook might be above average one day but certainly not today. What happened to the concept of "plug in an undrafted RB and we're good"? You can't say the Bills are bad drafters because they're actually the best at every other position. It's not like the RB position is so difficult to draft compared to other positions. It's likely that college players see the writing on the wall and choose to become LBs or WRs instead of RBs. Would Deebo Samuel be a WR if this was 1996 and Terrell Davis was the toast of the town? We're seeing a dearth of talent.

It's time for the cycle to go the other way. Great/very good RBs are now undervalued, especially on great offenses. The value of Barkley or Henry in this offense is much greater than their value on teams with average QBs. The sum is greater than the parts. I knew in my gut that fans were being foolish when balking at Barkley and just regurgitating a narrative they heard somewhere. Injury concerns, fine. But saying no to great talent because "RBs are a dime a dozen" is extremely foolish.

But it is what it is. We need to win a SB with what we got. It's doable, but Allen can't carry this kind of load forever and have a Brees/Brady/Rodgers type longevity. I've been watching those HOFs get bailed out by their RBs and YAC WRs for decades. 

The title isn't a shocker because many are on the "JA is MVP" train.

But, there was something he said that was crazy. He said that JA himself has more offensive production than FIFTEEN teams in the NFL. If Jeff Saturday is correct, that's about half of the NFL teams in the whole league. To put it into context, that's pretty much a whole conference worth of teams. That's scary good. JA has ALL of our TDs at 12. He's averaging 352.5 total yards per game. Again, amazing.

I tried to find a succint clip about what Jeff Saturday said but it's lost in a ten minute clip. Sorry about that, ladies and gents.

I've said this to my kids recently. JA has been great for a few years now. So, it's something we're used to. That said, every time I think he can't impress anymore, he has a throw, an escape, a juke, a stiff arm, a hurdle, etc. where he leaves you amazed and impressed all over again.

Let's go, Josh. Get us to 4-1 tomorrow heading into the Chiefs game. The game where you'll show everyone that you're the MVP candidate over Patrick "Kermit" Mahomes.

Go JA! Go Bills!

Edit - @PrimeTime101, like I mentioned in the post, it's in a ten minute clip not a succint clip. That said, here's the link. It starts at about the 7 minute and 20 second mark.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFan619 said:

But, there was something he said that was crazy. He said that JA himself has more offensive production than FIFTEEN teams in the NFL. If Jeff Saturday is correct, that's about half of the NFL teams in the whole league. To put it into context, that's pretty much a whole conference worth of teams. That's scary good. JA has ALL of our TDs at 12. He's averaging 352.5 total yards per game. Again, amazing.

I tried to find a succint clip about what Jeff Saturday said but it's lost in a ten minute clip. Sorry about that, ladies and gents.

I've said this to my kids recently. JA has been great for a few years now. So, it's something we're used to. That said, every time I think he can't impress anymore, he has a throw, an escape, a juke, a stiff arm, a hurdle, etc. where he leaves you amazed and impressed all over again.

Let's go, Josh. Get us to 4-1 tomorrow heading into the Chiefs game. The game where you'll show everyone that you're the MVP candidate over Patrick "Kermit" Mahomes.

Go JA! Go Bills!

any kind of link to this so we can read into this more?

33 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go JA! Go Bills!

Edit - @PrimeTime101, like I mentioned in the post, it's in a ten minute clip not a succint clip. That said, here's the link. It starts at about the 7 minute and 20 second mark.

Still Lamar and Mahomes love and then Foxworthy..... C'mon.....  Anyone but Allen seems to some people's view.

One thing I have noticed about the people who are stating Josh is much better than the other QBs is they have a certain expectation of a QB that is not applicable to the other guys. 

I can honestly state that there are some things that Lamar does that Josh doesn't do. Rodgers makes plays that Josh struggles with. Mahomes is a very scary QB when the his teammates are doing what they should do. All that being said if the goal is to win, I want Josh and it is not that close, he makes whatever play needs to be made more often than anyone else I have ever watched.

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go JA! Go Bills!

Josh has 1,410 total yards in 4 games this year. If you remove Indy & Denver(already played 5 games) and Buffalo(because Josh is on the team) Josh would rank 13th in total offense.

Josh has 12 total tds, which if you remove Buffalo, would be good enough to rank 5th in team tds.

It would be hard to see him as anything other than the MVP so far this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.