2022 MVP: Mahomes wins. Allen gets 1 vote? (42 TDs, 19 TOs, 315 YPG & 63.3%% Comp %--EOY talk 54+)

transplantbillsfan

I think Allen should be bulletproof to criticism. Let’s face it, the Bills are mediocre without him. They don’t control the ball today without him. Maybe they are .500 without him.

He’s the single best player in the league right now.  Is he the best QB with a close game on the line? Not sure. Mahomes is pretty good too.  But Josh Allen is the overall best player in the NFL right now and that’s not debatable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

So who is the MVP front runner right now? I'd say if not Allen it's Lamar Jackson, but he had his share of blunders last week allowing the Dolphins to get back into the game. The standard isn't "perfect." The standard is more valuable than any other player in the league. By that standard right now it is Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson and then everyone else.

The OP said his performance against the Miami Dolphins today was an "MVP performance".      

Not hardly.    

As for whether he might win the MVP........sure.........but you are barking up the wrong tree.........that wasn't what I was responding to. 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It is?  Higher then 400 yards passing, 47 yards rushing, 2 TD passes and a QB rating of 95? You might want to talk to all those folks who voted for Rogers as MVP in 2020 & 2021. 

In 2020 Rogers had a loss where he was 16 - 35 for 160 yards no TD's and 2 INT's including a pick six for a QB rating of 35.4

In 2021 Rogers had a loss where he was 15 - 28 for 133 yards, no TD's, 2 INT's and a QB rating of 36.8.

If Allen keeps playing like he has been he can survive misfiring on a potentially game winning pass against Miami.

So the worst games of Rodgers season were still "MVP performances".

They obviously were not.  

Try reading the post I was responding to before getting your back up.

Allen may win the MVP but today was not a great day for him by any means.    

• Eyeroll 2

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The OP said his performance against the Miami Dolphins today was an "MVP performance".      

Not hardly.    

As for whether he might win the MVP........sure.........but you are barking up the wrong tree.........that wasn't what I was responding to. 

Who are you referring to?? I wrote the OP. I wrote my thoughts of the Fins performance. Please direct our attention to anywhere I used the words you said I used as it relates to the Miami game. 

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If you need him to be better than he was today, you don't know ball sorry

Folks also seem to miss that was the throw he made after his hand was dinged up from hitting a helmet. Thought I saw the trainers trying to work the kinks out on the sideline... could have been cramping up too. Will never know for sure.

Allen made enough plays with his legs converting 3rd downs or checking to his backs, he also hit enough throws to win this game if guys had been able to hang on to more of them. Odd to single out his play as the crux of this loss, not sure how much I take away from this game with the amount of backups playing and guys dropping like flys in the 120 degree heat.

Certainly could have done better work in the red zone, but normally we have been money in red zone scoring so not sure if it was anything specific the Dolphins were doing on defense, or just a product of all the other negative factors.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So the worst games of Rodgers season were still "MVP performances".

They obviously were not.  

Try reading the post I was responding to before getting your back up.

Allen may win the MVP but today was not a great day for him by any means.    

Ummmm... so what would you call Allen’s performance today, then?

Just give us a grade: A, B, C, D, or F

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Who are you referring to?? I wrote the OP. I wrote my thoughts of the Fins performance. Please direct our attention to anywhere I used the words you said I used as it relates to the Miami game. 

I was referring to the original post that I was responding to.   Obviously.   Which was by @ToGoGo.     A lot of people exposing the fact that they don't bother to read posts before they take offense.    

It was absolutely NOT a great performance from Josh or the Bills.     He stacked up counting numbers but his percentages/averages weren't exceptional, he turned the ball over, made some mental errors and his mechanics betrayed him on the 4th down throw to McKenzie.

On a side note..........John Murphy needs to call it quits.   He has never been good but he is washed at this point.   He literally screamed "TOUCHDOWNNNNNN!" on the one hopper to McKenzie.    I kid not.   He is clearly as blind as a bat at this point,  that ball bounced 8 feet in front of him. :lol:

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was referring to the original post that I was responding to.   Obviously.   Which was by @ToGoGo.     A lot of people exposing the fact that they don't bother to read posts before they take offense.    

It was absolutely NOT a great performance from Josh or the Bills.     He stacked up counting numbers but his percentages/averages weren't exceptional, he turned the ball over, made some mental errors and his mechanics betrayed him on the 4th down throw to McKenzie.

On a side note..........John Murphy needs to call it quits.   He has never been good but he is washed at this point.   He literally screamed "TOUCHDOWNNNNNN!" on the one hopper to McKenzie.    I kid not.   He is clearly as blind as a bat at this point,  that ball bounced 8 feet in front of him. :lol:

John Murphy should have never gotten the job in the first place! 

He's been terrible his entire career, but he was somehow gifted the job by virtue of working in the booth in the old Van Miller days.  

At the end of the game, he addressed that play you referenced---saying he thought it was clearly in the receiver's hands, but it bounced off the ground to get there.  He must have known how terrible the original play call sounded, so he was sort of making up for it.

I can't get over how long of a delay he leaves in his calls...sometimes it's so long, Eric Wood says what happens before Murphy does.

Murphy:  "Allen throws to the end zooooonnnnneeeeee........[long pause]........[long pause]......(Eric Wood jumps in with "it's a TD")......YES TOUCHDOWN BILLS!!  TOUCHDOWN BILLS!"

Stuff like that....he's brutal.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummmm... so what would you call Allen’s performance today, then?

Just give us a grade: A, B, C, D, or F

It sure wasn't an A.    The rest is irrelevant because you don't win MVP awards on the strength of lesser performances in defeat.

Hopefully a 19 point performance where he averaged less than 7 yards per pass,  turned the ball over,  and missed a wide open receiver with the game on the line on 4th down........in leading his team to a once-every-decade kinda' loss where one team out-yardages the opponent by about 300 yards but fails to score points.........is one of the least impressive performances on his ledger of a championship season.

But if you'd be happy with a repeat performance of that production in the Dec 18th game then I can't help you.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It sure wasn't an A.    The rest is irrelevant because you don't win MVP awards on the strength of lesser performances in defeat.

Hopefully a 19 point performance where he averaged less than 7 yards per pass,  turned the ball over,  and missed a wide open receiver with the game on the line on 4th down........in leading his team to a once-every-decade kinda' loss where one team out-yardages the opponent by about 300 yards but fails to score points.........is one of the least impressive performances on his ledger of a championship season.

But if you'd be happy with a repeat performance of that production in the Dec 18th game then I can't help you.  

I think in a vacuum that might be true but the center sucked then went on to the third string center.  Brown was turnstile until he went out with sickness.  Replacement wasnt much better.  Later in the game the entire oline was replaced except Dawkins.  Different receivers in and out of the game every other play to the point where our fullback is running receiver routes like a WR.

Considering the circumstances I think Allen played pretty damn good.  I dont think any QB looks like an MVP game in the situation he was in.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:06 AM, QCity said:

Josh Allen +380
Patrick Mahomes +460
Justin Herbert +1000
Tom Brady +1500
Aaron Rodgers +1600
Lamar Jackson +1700
Jalen Hurts +1700
Tua Tagovailoa +1800
Matthew Stafford +2000
Joe Burrow +2000

7 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

A step back in the MVP battle today.

His odds have actually improved.

Josh Allen +340
Patrick Mahomes +550
Lamar Jackson +700
Jalen Hurts +850
Justin Herbert +1200
Tua Tagovailoa +1500
Aaron Rodgers +2000
Matthew Stafford +2200
Joe Burrow +2500
Tom Brady +2600

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/3628838/2022/09/25/bills-dolphins-observations?source=user-shared-article

2. Allen played the part of a horror movie villain to the Dolphins

Although the Bills blew plenty of chances to win the game, you can’t help but be impressed by how Allen constantly refused to allow the game to get away from them in the second half. Outside of his mistake that missed McKenzie in the end zone, Allen continued to keep drives alive even when it seemed like the Dolphins were finally about to get him off the field. It was quite reminiscent of a stereotypical horror movie villain. Regardless of all the times a viewer thinks the villain had perished — even in the most definitive of ways — the main character would turn around to see the villain standing right behind them, waiting to strike once again. Unfortunately for the Bills, that villain script remained accurate right to the end, as eventually Allen and his team fell short and lost.

It was a remarkable performance by Allen, and one deserving of a victory in most games. Despite three separate offensive linemen leaving the contest due to injury, Allen was mainly unflappable against the Dolphins’ pressure. He threw for 400 yards and rushed for 47 more. Allen converted on eight separate third downs in the second half alone, and all eight were by his doing. The running game, outside of a random 43-yard gain by Zack Moss, was inoperable for long stretches of the game. Allen completed a pass to 11 different Bills receivers, the full amount of running backs, receivers and tight ends the team made active for the game. Heck, it even looked like he was injured at one point, only for him to come back on the field for the final offensive series and got into Dolphins territory in five plays. And while the Bills had a rotating cast of characters almost everywhere on the field, Allen remained the constant all day.

Now it certainly wasn’t perfect, and there were a couple of questionable throws from Allen during the day, this loss does not fall on him. He did almost everything he could for a win. To help Allen, the team needs to figure out what’s going on with their rushing attack and how they fell short so many times during the contest. But one thing is sure, Allen is a special player who nearly served up a Bills victory despite an unusual number of injuries around him. If he plays anywhere close to how he did against the Dolphins most weeks, the Bills will have an opportunity to win every game they play this season.

Bills MVP: QB Josh Allen – He did almost everything for the Bills, and nearly helped them win a game where the odds were against them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not hardly.    

I think when you look across the league the only 2 performances of people with a shot at the MVP that will be viewed as potentially better than Josh’s would be Lamar and Jalen Hurts. If you include what Josh was dealing with it might be a push .. but I suspect Josh gained distance on the field except those two. He threw for 400 yds at 66% completion percentage on 63 throws inside a sauna with half a scab oline and hurting receivers. This game did not damage his MVP candidacy at all.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont think any QB looks like an MVP game in the situation he was in.

Correct.   The Bills organization put him in that bad situation.  

The rest of your post was unnecessary..........I'm not saying the offense couldn't score because of Allen.........just that it was not an "MVP performance".   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Still think that was a catch. 2 feet down with control before the ball is stripped. Couldn't believe it wasn't even talked about on the broadcast, much less challenged.

That’s not getting overturned in a review anyway though 

7 hours ago, QCity said:

His odds have actually improved.

Josh Allen +340
Patrick Mahomes +550
Lamar Jackson +700
Jalen Hurts +850
Justin Herbert +1200
Tua Tagovailoa +1500
Aaron Rodgers +2000
Matthew Stafford +2200
Joe Burrow +2500
Tom Brady +2600

As they should’ve…he was insanely good in that game but people are salty he missed that throw and we didn’t win.  We lose that game by 35 with anyone else.  

People are complaining about the short throws?

lol that is absurd…that was literally the gameplan. Miami kept sending the house with cover 0 blitzes and we wanted to keep our defense on the sideline.  Hard to point to just that throw as why we lost the game…we had a bunch of different opportunities to win it.  Not to mention he had just smashed his hand on someone’s helmet.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.