This has to be the deepest dline we’ve ever had

78thealltimegreat

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

How're we feeling about this Dline in week 11?  

Maybe our OL (in training camp) and the Rams OL made the Dline appear more “dominant” than it is?  I still think it is a very good Dline when everyone is healthy.  Don’t know if all the stats and expert opinions back it up, but from the untrained eye, I’m disappointed in the run defense of late and that more guys outside of Von and Rousseau seemingly haven’t been wreaking havoc.

#2 in the NFL for points given up/game.  #7 in rushing yards given up/game.  #14 in passing yards give up/game.

I feel good about this Dline.  0-3 of our losses can be pinned on them.

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty good, actually. 

The interior is strong. Oliver, Settle, Jones and Phillips have been stout and disruptive.

The edge, when healthy, can be game changing. Vonn and Groot are a great tandem. The issue is behind them, they’ve yet to find a 3rd guy who is consistent and well rounded in what they bring to the field. Epinessa, Shag and Boogie can all make plays. They can all have their lunch eaten, too.

When Groot come back, they’ll be a great until once again. They have to be….we’ve only invested a bazillion resources to the room. 

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Pretty good, actually. 

The interior is strong. Oliver, Settle, Jones and Phillips have been stout and disruptive.

The edge, when healthy, can be game changing. Vonn and Groot are a great tandem. The issue is behind them, they’ve yet to find a 3rd guy who is consistent and well rounded in what they bring to the field. Epinessa, Shag and Boogie can all make plays. They can all have their lunch eaten, too.

When Groot come back, they’ll be a great until once again. They have to be….we’ve only invested a bazillion resources to the room. 

We're getting run on again and its a direct result of interior DT play.  Epenesa is a liability in setting the edge.  Pass rush has mostly evaporated the past few weeks.  I have not seen Phillips making much of an impact.  Groot is out which has hurt.  

Dline play is decent but I'm not seeing the return on investment lately.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

#2 in the NFL for points given up/game.  #7 in rushing yards given up/game.  #14 in passing yards give up/game.

I feel good about this Dline.  0-3 of our losses can be pinned on them.

They played absolutely terrible against the Jets.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

We're getting run on again and its a direct result of interior DT play.  Epenesa is a liability in setting the edge.  Pass rush has mostly evaporated the past few weeks.  I have not seen Phillips making much of an impact.  Groot is out which has hurt.  

Any particular games/players you’re referring to? Curious why you’re associating the DTs with the issues in run game. I am also not so sure we ARE getting run on a successfully as many perceive. Remove a few gashes (which are often results of poor run support on the back end) and this team is still very good against the run 

Just now, Billz4ever said:

They played absolutely terrible against the Jets.

Everybody played terrible against the Jets.

I'm not saying they're the 85 Bears.  I'm just saying that the D Line isn't losing us games.  That would actually be Josh Allen, if we're being honest.

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Everybody played terrible against the Jets.

I'm not saying they're the 85 Bears.  I'm just saying that the D Line isn't losing us games.  That would actually be Josh Allen, if we're being honest.

They were getting pushed around by the Jets, who we allowed to run it down our throats at the worst possible time.

They were getting pushed around by the Jets, who we allowed to run it down our throats at the worst possible time.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

I'm also assessing them over 9 games; not one.

They've steadily gone downhill and since you said they weren't responsible for any losses, I definitely disagree about the Jets game

Allen was 18/34 with no passing TD, 2 INT and took 5 sacks.  He also fumbled twice, but didn't lose them.  Jets scored 20 points.  Hard to place the blame on the defense in that one.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Allen was 18/34 with no passing TD, 2 INT and took 5 sacks.  He also fumbled twice, but didn't lose them.  Jets scored 20 points.  Hard to place the blame on the defense in that one.

When they needed to stop them, they couldn't.  Combined with the lack of pressure in just about every game in the last 4 weeks, they are performing well under expectations.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

So your solution is to continue to invest heavily in dline and hoping we “get it right”. In the meantime, what do we do about the offensive line and WR corp?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.