Ken Dorsey with a tremendous debut

Big Blitz

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The few questions I had about how he’d call an actual game were initially answered.

My only complaint is the amount of runs Josh had. I winced a few times at some of the hits he took. 

im even good with those minus the last run after the game was won and the rams had already gotten chippy 

I hope a lesson was learned. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thought they were forcing the run a bit too much in general for my liking until that bomb to Davis… 

Ran it too much when they were up 17-10 with the ball back. Let your best player make plays as he basically ALWAYS does when you give him a chance… 

Sticking with the run gives the D line something to consider even if you aren't having huge success they can't just pin their ears back 

That allows if called at the right time, Big plays to hit because maybe they were sitting run.  

Even just a 5 yard run is enough to make the D take notice 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

The question is - how much of that is Allen improvising versus Dorsey calling a designed QB keeper?

I get the sense that some of those runs are option plays where Allen can hand the ball off or keep it... or broken pass plays where the coverage is good and he just decides to keep the ball rather than throwing it away.

I think this is what is happening on  a lot of those. Read option plays were Josh is choosing to keep it himself rather than hand it off. 

I suppose you could criticize Dorsey for even calling those plays instead of straight handoffs, but maybe Josh should just choose not to take this beating so often. 

34 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The few questions I had about how he’d call an actual game were initially answered.

My only complaint is the amount of runs Josh had. I winced a few times at some of the hits he took. 

Agreed. It made me wonder whether Dorsey made all the calls or if Josh has the latitude to audible.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don't think that's on Dorsey.  I think Josh was calling his own number on most of those runs.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I didn't like the called QB runs late. Makes no sense...

Looked like reads by the QB. Sometimes Josh  wants the contact. He’s got to avoid some of these hits. But that’s our offense. 

I loved how they fed Diggs. He lined up all over. Diggs might catch 120 balls this year.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, zow2 said:

If the Bills make it to the AFC championship expect Dorsey to be one and done as the OC here.  

Doubt it. One successful year won’t do it especially after the last OC was hired as a HC.

Dorsey will be here for at least a couple years.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

im even good with those minus the last run after the game was won and the rams had already gotten chippy 

I hope a lesson was learned. 

I'm not sure that last one was designed.

I think that was just Josh still knowing he had a crew there from Firebaugh watching him. :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I deleted because I didn’t want to talk negatively but It’s going to frustrate me. Singletary is such a good RB. He’s underrated.

Motor, 8 carries for 48 yards, 6 yards per carry 

Moss, 6 carries for 15 yards, 2.5 yards per carry.

Why did Motor only get 8 runs? 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

A +

That was fantastic - and great adjustments in the middle of the 3rd quarter.  You stuck with the run - some angry runs from Motor (he's the bell cow).

4 turnovers and still 31 points.

Donald was invisible outside of 1 sack.  

Phenomenal job.  Against a great defense 

Keep it rolling!

9 out of 10 on 3rd down conversions pretty much answers it. Daboll who?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

My one issue was the Josh Allen runs. And I am an advocate for him running. I defend it all the time. But when you are up 31 to 10, there's just no reason to run the ball with Josh.

But I also wonder if it is Josh himself taking that freedom to take off when he wants to. I don't know how often the OC is calling a Josh Allen run play versus Allen changing the play or simply deciding to take off on that play.

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

Doubt it. One successful year won’t do it especially after the last OC was hired as a HC.

Agreed. If everything goes well Dorsey will be a HC two years from now, and we'll have another hot shot in the wings to take over. This offense is going to create a lot of head coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely, I was impressed. Loved Diggs putting up big numbers in Week 1 as well. Didn't see much Knox tonight although there are only so many balls to go around, but just one thing I'll be keeping an eye on. Just an observation, I don't really care who puts up the points.

Edited by Nelius

Dorsey almost completely took the greatest defensive player of the millennium out of the game. That's about as good a start as you could ask for.

And I love that he stuck with the run game even when it wasn't necessarily working. The threat of the run kept the Rams on their heels all night. That's something Daboll never understood.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Thought they were forcing the run a bit too much in general for my liking until that bomb to Davis… 

Ran it too much when they were up 17-10 with the ball back. Let your best player make plays as he basically ALWAYS does when you give him a chance… 

Really Scott? In a game where we didn't punt a single time you're going to criticize the flow of the offense? Haven't you been saying all offseason that the Bills rely too much on Allen to be Superman and win games for them? Threatening defenses with the run is how you counter that.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

I think it was just one game. This game was important and special. And the Bills desperately wanted this one. They played it like a playoff game. I think you will see the Bills settle into a more predictable type offense and RB order as we now enter the season. The Bills learned a lot tonight I think. 

Next week is Home Season Opener and again on National TV....I bet that is even wilder atmosphere....

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

A +

That was fantastic - and great adjustments in the middle of the 3rd quarter.  You stuck with the run - some angry runs from Motor (he's the bell cow).

4 turnovers and still 31 points.

Donald was invisible outside of 1 sack.  

Phenomenal job.  Against a great defense 

Keep it rolling!

That’s again because of Josh.  They reported last night, Josh got the ball out for the whole night as an avg. of 2.2 seconds.  That mutes Donald.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Depends. UM wants him bad. I know they missed out but they’d fire everyone and back up the brinks for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.