Franks or other Wing Sauce Recipes

BullBuchanan

Going to do some wings on the grill tonight using this method from Chudd's BBQ. The dude is a monster of the pit and has never steered me wrong, but curious on thoughts between regular Franks Red Hot, their Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce, or any other recipe you've got. For reference my holy grail of wings is Nine Eleven Tavern followed by Bar-Bill but I'm also up for charbeque, lemon pepper, asian sauces or whatever on occasion.

What's your take?

I worked at my dad's restaurant in the mid 70's when wings were just becoming a "thing".  I loved his wings. They were (if memory serves me) some of the best wings I ever had.  I asked him where he got the wing sauce recipe.  I asked and asked and he just smiled.   Never told me where he got it.  Well one day I'm breaking down the Durkee Hot Sauce (I think it was Durkee not Frank's)  boxes.  On the side of the box was.....you guessed it.  "Dad's" wing sauce recipe.  His name was Richard and everyone called him Dick.  LOL! 

I'm going to get killed for this but my favorite wing sauce has this for a base:

image.thumb.png.24be05ee449332252ca351a02a8c9598.png

A whole bunch of this mixed in for extra flavor:

image.thumb.png.cddb2a2b45e189de581194f67a0d9f67.png

A dollop of this to add a tiny bit of sweet:

image.png.1ee92578d1a6613d933aba4a1a84713a.png

And then a couple pats of butter

Before you sumbitches go upside my head, the wings are served with celery and good blue cheese dressing with a lot of extra crumbles mixed in.

NO ranch on the table.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I worked at my dad's restaurant in the mid 70's when wings were just becoming a "thing".  I loved his wings. They were (if memory serves me) some of the best wings I ever had.  I asked him where he got the wing sauce recipe.  I asked and asked and he just smiled.   Never told me where he got it.  Well one day I'm breaking down the Durkee Hot Sauce (I think it was Durkee not Frank's)  boxes.  On the side of the box was.....you guessed it.  "Dad's" wing sauce recipe.  His name was Richard and everyone called him Dick.  LOL! 

Had to be Durkee... and they are still in business. There once was a hole in the wall bar at the corner of Broadway and Rt.77 (NE corner) that made the best wings I've ever had.

https://durkee.com/products/

40 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm going to get killed for this but my favorite wing sauce has this for a base:

image.thumb.png.24be05ee449332252ca351a02a8c9598.png

A whole bunch of this mixed in for extra flavor:

image.thumb.png.cddb2a2b45e189de581194f67a0d9f67.png

A dollop of this to add a tiny bit of sweet:

image.png.1ee92578d1a6613d933aba4a1a84713a.png

And then a couple pats of butter

Before you sumbitches go upside my head, the wings are served with celery and good blue cheese dressing with a lot of extra crumbles mixed in.

NO ranch on the table.

Time to take away your mod status

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Did you ever have my dad’s?  

You know, I remember you telling me where his place/places was a couple of years ago but I have completely forgotten where it/they were or the name. One was in Alexander maybe?

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wasn't the Fank's brand made by Durkee originally? 

According to the old Anchor Bar recipe I have from 1998 (since taken off of the internet) they used Durkee so I'm pretty sure you are right.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

You know, I remember you telling me where his place/places was a couple of years ago but I have completely forgotten where it/they were or the name. One was in Alexander maybe?

No.  In Attica. The Theater Restaurant.  Used to be the old movie theater.  Next to Nick's Pizzeria.  Fun times!  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No.  In Attica. The Theater Restaurant.  Used to be the old movie theater.  Next to Nick's Pizzeria.  Fun times!  

I remember Nick's but I don't remember going to your Dad's place. Possibly could have but I just don't remember it... those were some pretty stony times. Amazingly, Nino's is still there.

7 hours ago, T&C said:

I remember Nick's but I don't remember going to your Dad's place. Possibly could have but I just don't remember it... those were some pretty stony times. Amazingly, Nino's is still there.

Ha!  When I was back last month someone mentioned Nino’s.  I was WTF??  Nino’s is still there?  

The Frank's brand has passed through some parent companies. At one point it was owned by Durkee. My recollection is at one time they may have just labeled it Durkee, but eventually changed it to Durkee's "Frank's" Red Hot Sauce. 

I think it has remained the same recipe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_RedHot

Since I lived outside of WNY for many years I had to make my own wings if I wanted anything close to those found around WNY.

I grilled wings ‘low and slow’ at home for many years and seasoned with a recipe I learned from a Hamburg bar employee.  The main ingredient is Franks.

In a larger saucepan, Melt a single pat of butter.  More is not better in this case.  Add a few glugs of Frank’s, three or four squirts of Worcestershire sauce, four or five shakes of garlic powder, six or seven shakes of celery seed, and add Tabasco as desired(I add about 9-10 drops for a 10 wing batch).  Grill the wings, best kept together the drummie and the flat as it is easier to tell which have been turned, for about 45 minutes, turning every 7 minutes or so depending on heat of your grill.  Low and slow works best for me as one can have a couple of beers while cheffing. 

After they are basically cooked, put them in the saucepan, cover, and shake to coat.  I like to put them back on indirect heat for another 5 minutes or so but if you like them wet, skip that step.

Recently I got one of those Ninja air fryers and love cooking wings with it.  They taste more like the bar made deep fried wings and when grilling is inconvenient, they are the go to lately.

I use the above mentioned sauce but have found a couple of Buffalo Wild Wing sauces (sold at Sam’s Club) that are quite tasty. Sam’s sells a 2’ pack of 20 oz sauces for 7.99 - Garlic Parm and Asian Zing. 

Amazingly, my latest cholesterol numbers were down!  I think that Marie’s Blue cheese must offset the wings

Edited by Bob in Mich

2 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

Since I lived outside of WNY for many years I had to make my own wings if I wanted anything close to those found around WNY.

I grilled wings ‘low and slow’ at home for many years and seasoned with a recipe I learned from a Hamburg bar employee.  The main ingredient is Franks.

In a larger saucepan, Melt a single pat of butter.  More is not better in this case.  Add a few glugs of Frank’s, three or four squirts of Worcestershire sauce, four or five shakes of garlic powder, six or seven shakes of celery seed, and add Tabasco as desired(I add about 9-10 drops for a 10 wing batch).  Grill the wings, best kept together the drummie and the flat as it is easier to tell which have been turned, for about 45 minutes, turning every 7 minutes or so depending on heat of your grill.  Low and slow works best for me as one can have a couple of beers while cheffing. 

After they are basically cooked, put them in the saucepan, cover, and shake to coat.  I like to put them back on indirect heat for another 5 minutes or so but if you like them wet, skip that step.

Recently I got one of those Ninja air fryers and love cooking wings with it.  They taste more like the bar made deep fried wings and when grilling is inconvenient, they are the go to lately.

I use the above mentioned sauce but have found a couple of Buffalo Wild Wing sauces (sold at Sam’s Club) that are quite tasty. Sam’s sells a 2’ pack of 20 oz sauces for 7.99 - Garlic Parm and Asian Zing. 

Amazingly, my latest cholesterol numbers were down!  I think that Marie’s Blue cheese must offset the wings

https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/80/Real_Anchor_Bar_Buffalo_Wings20817.shtml

don't knock it until you try it.

we make 2 different sauces when we make BFLO wings. The first is butter, soy sauce, plenty or crushed fresh garlic,  brown sugar and water. I dont have exact measurements I make enough for how many wings Im making/ people Im serving

the second is Franks red hot sauce, butter, a bit of garlic powder, ketchup and water. I make my wings in an air fryer. They come out great

So my plate is crisp wings dipped in brown sauce, drizzled with the red, baby carrots, celery, BOB's Big Boy Blue Cheese (hubbys favorte) on the side.

delicioso.

I grill my wings, which i've found results in a crispier wing, to universal acclaim.  Proceed thusly;

The Wings

10lb bag frozen wings from BJs or your wholesale club of choice.  I used to cook them from frozen, which works fine but results in at least 20 minutes more on the grill.  10 lbs fits comfortably on my weber 4 burner grill

6 packets of Goya seasoning, the red kind.  Preheat the grill, full blast hot.  Once you put the wings on the grill, sprinkle the Goya on the wings so you can see red on each wing.  Apply to opposite side once you flip them, after maybe 10-15 minutes.  This adds flavor, but also helps them crisp faster. 

It'll take them 30-40 minutes overall.  You'll know they are done when you press your finger into them and the skin is crispy.  They will finish asymmetrically so turn down/off one of the burners and pile up the finished ones until they're all done. Transfer inside in your favorite stainless steel bowl

The Sauce

Do this while the wings are grilling. you'll have plenty of time

Melt about half a stick of butter in  a 2 or 4 cup pyrex measuring cup.  2 cups sauce total is a good amount for 10lbs of wings with some to soak up on the bottom.

Once butter is melted, add about 1.5 cups of red hot, or if you like the red hot extra hot.  I've tried some other hot sauces, which are OK but I think Franks is really the one.

Add a couple squirts of your favorite sweet bbq sauce.

Then, and this is the most important thing, something to add a little smoke.  I have a powder i make every year where i smoke jalapenos and scotch bonnet peppers, dehydrate them, and grind them up.  A liberal pinch of that powder adds some real depth of flavor to the sauce. If you dont have that (and you should have that) a couple drops of liquid smoke is a reasonable substitute

Stir that all together, maybe put it in the microwave for a minute so the butter doesn't congeal in the sauce.  Pour it over, mix them up, and serve.  I like Rudy's blue cheese, but pick your poison.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.