NFL Week #1 - Bills at the Rams - Post Game thread- The NFL season Begins!!!!!!

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Maybe "just do[ing] his job" is the issue we often have with our MLB. You'd love for him to trust Poyer's decisive adjustment and cheat left to where the defense is going to be outflanked otherwise. As fans we do NOT know what was communicated there, but upon further review of the play, Edmunds DID shift to his left a bit as Poyer directed. 

I do not enjoy crusading against players on the Bills. I want them all to succeed. On this play, however, the MLB fails. It happens even to better players.

The real issue looks to be post-snap: Edmunds initially takes 2 or 3 steps BACKWARDS, and then, he simply overruns the play (the edge was another player's responsibility to contain). If he isn't going to undercut the blocking and disrupt the play before it gets started (which he can't do if his fist steps are backwards), he then absolutely must STONE one of the lead blockers to give his teammates more time to rally. Taron Johnson effectively outflanks/attacks the edge, so what Edmunds does is redundant and useless. Milano actually almost makes the stop from even FURTHER to the backside of the play; would have helped to have a 250lb freak LB hold his ground with Havenstein right where Milano makes contact. Only needed ONE more player to help him stop the ball carrier's upfield progress. 

I hear you, but he does do exactly what he should.  Look at 4:16 - He, Taron Johnson, and Milano are all exactly at the same depth reading their keys.  As soon as the OL let’s the pass rush through and Stafford turns to his right - Edmunds breaks to the spot.  He is the first to react.

At 4:17 - you see Johnson move forward and does his job outside contain - turn the play back toward pursuit.  Edmunds breaks down 3-4 Feet to the right of Johnson in his lane and attacks under the 2 blockers.  He has 2 Jobs - 1 to make the play if Kupp hits that hole and 2 fill that hole to force Kupp further inside to pursuit.

Edmunds fulfills that duty with his movement and Kupp is forced horizontally further inside to the next pursuing LB Milano.  Milano is the unblocked defender that has to make the play.  It is exactly how you want that play to be covered. 

Most likely an Elite MLB might have not broken down just shot in an made the play, but as has been stated - that is not Edmunds.  The issue is that he does exactly what he should within the scheme.  

Compare what Edmunds did on this play with Wagner multiple times on outside zone runs - Wagner multiple times got picked up and stoned out of position by OL and a FB.  Wagner not only did not make the play, but never got to the spot he needed to with the defensive scheme allowing positive plays.

The part I have a real issue with is the bolded.  Of course his first couple of steps is backwards - the same as Taron and Milano.  The defense call for them to be spaced evenly across the field.  He has a primary responsibility to that middle third and must fulfill that first.  The Rams could have also run a shallow cross with Kupp and if Edmunds immediately abandoned his spot - he could open up a whole different issue.  

Also what exact information do you think Poyer conveys to Edmunds in that brief part of a second.  He is saying - watch the screen to your left most likely.  Edmunds again does his job and reacts first toward the spot at 4:17.  Again I will ask you - If Poyer knew the play was coming - where was he.  You say that Edmunds should trust Poyer and cheat left, but then shouldn’t Poyer have trusted himself and stayed closer to the LOS and been available to help make the tackle?  

Poyer did not do anything on the play - in fact at 4:19 you see Poyer enter the frame running forward just as Milano is making the tackle - Instead of driving forward to the pile to assist with the tackle - he starts to celebrate as the OL come forward to assist in getting the first down.  He is standing 2 yards down field at 4:20 as the OL arrive and push him forward.  If Poyer had attacked the pile most likely they drive him back and blow the whistle, but he did not.

So in conclusion- to me - Edmunds on that play reacted based upon what Poyer saw as he was the first defender to move toward Kupp as soon as the keys said that was the play.  He got to his spot and forced the WR further inside to the unblocked defender who was in position to make the tackle short of the1st down sticks.  You are looking for him to immediately abandon his responsibilities on the play and head left beforehand because of what Poyer suggested and then make the tackle.

I to would of loved to see Edmunds not break down and just missile fly up and kill the WR, but if you watch Edmunds - those are many times that he hits but slides off the tackles.  He needs to break down and be under control to make solid tackles - when he is running full speed the offensive player can slide enough and cause him to miss his attack point and then miss the tackle.  It is who he is.  Many LBs might have made that play, but after watching several other MLBs in the league - he played it better than many.  As I said in that game alone the OL picked up and easily handled Wagner in situations like that as he was 2-3 steps slower all night and that was a player many on here wanted to replace Edmunds with.  

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I hear you, but he does do exactly what he should.  Look at 4:16 - He, Taron Johnson, and Milano are all exactly at the same depth reading their keys.  As soon as the OL let’s the pass rush through and Stafford turns to his right - Edmunds breaks to the spot.  He is the first to react.

At 4:17 - you see Johnson move forward and does his job outside contain - turn the play back toward pursuit.  Edmunds breaks down 3-4 Feet to the right of Johnson in his lane and attacks under the 2 blockers.  He has 2 Jobs - 1 to make the play if Kupp hits that hole and 2 fill that hole to force Kupp further inside to pursuit.

Edmunds fulfills that duty with his movement and Kupp is forced horizontally further inside to the next pursuing LB Milano.  Milano is the unblocked defender that has to make the play.  It is exactly how you want that play to be covered. 

Most likely an Elite MLB might have not broken down just shot in an made the play, but as has been stated - that is not Edmunds.  The issue is that he does exactly what he should within the scheme.  

Compare what Edmunds did on this play with Wagner multiple times on outside zone runs - Wagner multiple times got picked up and stoned out of position by OL and a FB.  Wagner not only did not make the play, but never got to the spot he needed to with the defensive scheme allowing positive plays.

The part I have a real issue with is the bolded.  Of course his first couple of steps is backwards - the same as Taron and Milano.  The defense call for them to be spaced evenly across the field.  He has a primary responsibility to that middle third and must fulfill that first.  The Rams could have also run a shallow cross with Kupp and if Edmunds immediately abandoned his spot - he could open up a whole different issue.  

Also what exact information do you think Poyer conveys to Edmunds in that brief part of a second.  He is saying - watch the screen to your left most likely.  Edmunds again does his job and reacts first toward the spot at 4:17.  Again I will ask you - If Poyer knew the play was coming - where was he.  You say that Edmunds should trust Poyer and cheat left, but then shouldn’t Poyer have trusted himself and stayed closer to the LOS and been available to help make the tackle?  

Poyer did not do anything on the play - in fact at 4:19 you see Poyer enter the frame running forward just as Milano is making the tackle - Instead of driving forward to the pile to assist with the tackle - he starts to celebrate as the OL come forward to assist in getting the first down.  He is standing 2 yards down field at 4:20 as the OL arrive and push him forward.  If Poyer had attacked the pile most likely they drive him back and blow the whistle, but he did not.

So in conclusion- to me - Edmunds on that play reacted based upon what Poyer saw as he was the first defender to move toward Kupp as soon as the keys said that was the play.  He got to his spot and forced the WR further inside to the unblocked defender who was in position to make the tackle short of the1st down sticks.  You are looking for him to immediately abandon his responsibilities on the play and head left beforehand because of what Poyer suggested and then make the tackle.

I to would of loved to see Edmunds not break down and just missile fly up and kill the WR, but if you watch Edmunds - those are many times that he hits but slides off the tackles.  He needs to break down and be under control to make solid tackles - when he is running full speed the offensive player can slide enough and cause him to miss his attack point and then miss the tackle.  It is who he is.  Many LBs might have made that play, but after watching several other MLBs in the league - he played it better than many.  As I said in that game alone the OL picked up and easily handled Wagner in situations like that as he was 2-3 steps slower all night and that was a player many on here wanted to replace Edmunds with.  

You keep coming back with strong counter arguments utilizing detailed evidence. Nice work. 

I STILL want Tremaine to get low and take on the widest pulling lineman, creating a little scrum there which could have helped Milano as he engaged the ball carrier. 

(Have this image i can't shake of Mike Vrabel, of all hated players, on a wode goalline rush, essentially planting a knee on the playside edge of the line and stoning a pulling lineman's progress, thereby jamming up traffic and allowing his teammates to rally to the ball. I know that's not Edmunds's game, but with his size I wish it was when the occasion calls for it.)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

You keep coming back with strong counter arguments utilizing detailed evidence. Nice work. 

I STILL want Tremaine to get low and take on the widest pulling lineman, creating a little scrum there which could have helped Milano as he engaged the ball carrier. 

(Have this image i can't shake of Mike Vrabel, of all hated players, on a wode goalline rush, essentially planting a knee on the playside edge of the line and stoning a pulling lineman's progress, thereby jamming up traffic and allowing his teammates to rally to the ball. I know that's not Edmunds's game, but with his size I wish it was when the occasion calls for it.)

I know and it is one of the hugely frustrating parts of his game.  

The 2nd part of that is if the lineman had beat him there - Edmunds based on his history would not attack the lineman to drive him back - he would square up and give ground to slow the WR in this case (or RB usually) down and maintain his lane to allow pursuit to make the play.

I know he looks like a physical freak, but I really think people need to think of him like a smaller DB out their.  That is how he plays the position.  He does not attack blockers like a typical MLB - he plays space and lanes exactly how a smaller DB plays the game.  He plays football in this defense not to make a huge hit and destroy or blow things up - he plays leverage and prevent the big play.  

It can be frustrating to watch at times, but I imagine they are getting taught everyday - keep the play in front of you and do your 1/11th.  Make them drive the field and covert 3rd downs because we feel teams will get overly aggressive and miss a shot or we can get a stop.  Do not let them get that chunk play and that my friends is exactly how Edmunds plays.  

I do not know if that is all him or he really takes to the coaching speak, but he epitomizes exactly what the staff preaches and it is why fans get frustrated with the staff and why they get frustrated with Edmunds as a player.  It is also why the staff love him and speak highly of him.

Edited by Rochesterfan

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Notice LA is not even listed with their own home opening and banner raising.  

I know the number of potential viewers in LA is huge, but moving back to LA for 1 - let alone 2 teams was dumb.  

Both teams are Super Bowl contenders and both played at home and both had to use a silent count in their own stadium on offense because of the fan noise.  

Embarrassing! 😳

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I know the number of potential viewers in LA is huge, but moving back to LA for 1 - let alone 2 teams was dumb.  

Both teams are Super Bowl contenders and both played at home and both had to use a silent count in their own stadium on offense because of the fan noise.  

Embarrassing! 😳

All of the Rams fans were at the game so no one was home to watch the game. 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Embarrassing! 😳

The Los Angeles market has 5.7 million households to Buffalo’s 600,000.  It’s possible there were more people watching in LA than in Buffalo even though the ratings and shares were much lower.

I think the remarkable number is that 75% of households with televisions in Buffalo were watching. Wonder what a Bills Super Bowl would rate?  90%?

Edited by WotAGuy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.